City or Country? – Which you prefer and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 07:25 PM
RE: City or Country? – Which you prefer and why?
(13-11-2011 07:07 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 03:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well then, since my dream home is an abandoned missile silo

Curious ... please explain ... why?

Was into spelunking in my youth and decided underground might not be a bad place to live. Also like the idea of taking a structure intended for one purpose and perverting it into something entirely different and far more useful.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-11-2011, 07:55 PM

(13-11-2011 07:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Was into spelunking in my youth and decided underground might not be a bad place to live.

Cool!

I was heavily involved in cave exploring during my late teens. Spent 2 summers in cave exploring camps and I would camp underground for weeks at a time!

This brings back fond memories, indeed.

The highlight of my spelunking career was following a 4km long branch of the biggest cave in Hungary (called 'Aggtelek') that went over to Slovakia. We followed the 'Styx' river, which was the coldest water I have ever been in, having to crawl underwater 3 times when the ceiling of the cave dipped below water level (had no equipment other than carbide lamps and some matches in waterproof cases, so we could relight the lamps after each underwater 'swimming'). We had a bottle of rum with us that we drank ceremoniously when we got to the border point that actually had a rusty iron gate with a padlock on it! Who on Earth did manage to drag it there and install it, is beyond my imagination. I was told that it was the world's only underground 'border-crossing'.

So, I guess, an abandoned missile silo could be an exciting place to move into!

Smile

Here is a link to the Aggtelek caves I was talking about. Make sure you follow the link at the bottom of the page to "OUR PLACE" to see a lot of photos! Incredible images and I was there for months! Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Country or city? I think I'd like to go with city, for a few years at least. I'm tired of country living… which is pretty much what small town life is. Don't get me wrong; I love the open spaces and trees and I can do what I want with my house (within city code). I could probably live much the same way I live now almost anywhere and be contented… I guess I just need a change of scenery.

The small town I currently reside in has a population of around 18-20 thousand and though it hosts an accredited university, the town has completely disconnected itself from that entire scene. Very odd… it was not always like this, but began happening a few years after I settled here. Because of the university, my friends tend to drop out of sight every 4 years. I've been here for 30 years and almost half of that has been in my house -3 bedroom 1 bath/ detached garage / corner lot- space is ample and it keeps me busy.
I'd like to say it is the isolation that makes me want the challenge of larger city living, but I think it's the people in this particular town. In fact, I drive 75 miles away almost each weekend to see friends, eat good food, go to an art cinema, art galleries... all in a town of a similar size. There just isn't anything here for me. Suffice to say; not all small towns are alike. Undecided

I agree -there are a lot of assholes on the road these days- I encounter them every night at work -I drive professionally. I wear brown. I drive through the Flint Hills of Kansas, transporting cargo for 4 hours from Emporia to Wichita Ks and back, every Mon-Fri evening. So yea, I don't mind driving.

Smile Very cool about the missile silo house -we have a few of those here in Kansas. Talk about space -those things are huge -and I understand the acoustics are fantastic!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Country for me. You have a lot more room to do what you like, such as offroading, hiking, biking, motorcyling, etc and don't have to deal with all the assholes. I have never met so many rude and unintelligent people as I did in NYC, Washington DC, Dallas and Paris. London is the only city I've visited where I met nice people. The city doesn't have much to offer for me... I dont like to visit art galleries or museums, so i don't see the advantage (only things I can think of off the top of my head that don' exist in the country for the most part). I can drink and socialize anywhere with a bar and more than 1000 residents... I currently live in Dallas and hate it, if only I had enough money to move out in the country and buy a house.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post