Civil War 150th Anniversary - are we still fighting it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Civil War 150th Anniversary - are we still fighting it?
Some may find this interesting...Huh

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/04/...l-war.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2011, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2011 04:22 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
RE: Civil War 150th Anniversary - are we still fighting it?
Why is the American civil war the only war called "the civil war"?

Even when I was in school we learned about "the civil war". Didn't even know about the First English Civil War until I'd left school, and the most recent English Civil War is just called "The Troubles". Also in school we learned about "The Revolutionary war" rather than "Second British Civil War" or "The American Separation" or any other name.

Anyway...
Back on topic: More Americans get shot every year due to social segregation in the USA than get shot by non-Americans in overseas combat zones. That was be a literal show of it. Though not necessarily for the same social segregation as what started to American Civil War (though even that is an incorrect title due to the many other organized conflict within US borders both before and after "The Civil War")

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2011, 04:05 AM
(12-04-2011 04:18 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Why is the American civil war the only war called "the civil war"?

I thought about that after the fact. Sorry, it's just my narcissistic Yankee on full display Tongue

I do think Churchill referred to it as the American Civil War in his History of the English Speaking Peoples...But the vast majority of Americans are completely unaware that any other country has had a civil war...most Americans don't know there are other countries...just saying Undecided

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2011, 11:38 AM

(13-04-2011 04:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(12-04-2011 04:18 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Why is the American civil war the only war called "the civil war"?

I thought about that after the fact. Sorry, it's just my narcissistic Yankee on full display Tongue

I do think Churchill referred to it as the American Civil War in his History of the English Speaking Peoples...But the vast majority of Americans are completely unaware that any other country has had a civil war...most Americans don't know there are other countries...just saying Undecided
In, NJ at least, during 9th grade history the English and French civil wars are touched upon (though only the one involving the Roundheads and Cavaliers for the English, no War of the Roses).
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2011, 07:52 AM
As far as history i was taught generally any war in another country among themselves was called a revolution. They seemed to always use revolution if the oppressed won and revolt if they lost. I think it's part of trying to further separate the US from the world by suggesting we do everything differently. Perhaps they are suggesting wars in other countries can't be civil? I always thought the US introduced a large amount of brute tactics to the Europeans.

There has been a war going on in the US ever since the civil war, it has a different objective than succession though. Now many groups simply want control here and they take what they can to attain it. Occasionally there are groups that want to succeed (can't remember how to spell this word cut off ties from their current country), but generally they are quelled in an instant. The war that is happening nowadays doesn't really have a determined goal. Many groups are just adamant that this is not their place and that power can change that. Doesn't help that it's obvious money is what controls the place. Everything in the US is a contention there is always a side to every minute thing and shouting matches of all kinds. It's been building for a long time and the death toll is staggering. The worst part is that the more people die the more everyone yells.

Current society which tells everyone what they can and can't do has bred a nation foaming at the mouth wanting to do the things their bodies demand but accepting that they can't. The difference between a belligerent person and a murderer often times is blurred, as the belligerent person acts out more severely because all they want to do is be a murderer, yet they feel they cannot. Murderers are seen as so calm because they let themselves do what they want. There's no breeding contention out of humans and the only answer is to have an acceptable form of release. The PC giant however feels that no acts of contention should be tolerated no fantasies or ideas. Trying to become a proper citizen becomes fighting everything that makes you human.

I'll stop ranting on this =p sorry to waste everyone's time. I just feel the real issue here is that alternative ways of allowing yourself to be human are far and few between. The best ways now are media especially video games, but even these relatively harmless outlets are attacked as not what people should be doing. Gangs brainwash people into joining their anti-society, but one of the main reasons this works so well is that there is a part of everyone that needs to feel all of these "horrors" are acceptable.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user