Claim: "God answers prayer" - a personal lightbulb moment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 07:32 AM by Dom.)
RE: Claim: "God answers prayer" - a personal lightbulb moment
You see the "prayer warriors" daily on FB, calling for everyone to pray for somebody's relative who is in the hospital with something terminal. Then the relative dies and another round of prayers is started.

They never say what exactly to pray for - survival, comfort, souls... so no analysis is possible. The person died because god called them to him and now they are in a better place and sending their love to all the prayer warriors.

And on they move to the next terminally ill person....

They actually think they are doing good deeds by answering "praying or "amen". And I bet a lot of the warriors don't even actually pray. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2015, 07:32 AM
(03-06-2015 07:28 AM)microterf Wrote:  I can see a pastor encouraging people to keep a prayer journal since the optional answers are yes, no, wait then everything falls into that category.

Microterf, right on - you said it better than I did. And thank you for the book recommendation - I'll put it on the reading list!
03-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm an analogy person, so when something doesn't settle right with me, I try to think of an analogy or example that would show the folly of something stupid. I think it would be hilarious for these prayer-journal people if some budding-skeptic Christian decides he'll journal for a month of items he's praying fervently about...and then journal for a month where he writes prayer requests and what he hopes will happen, but doesn't pray for any of them. And after all this, what's the result? Can't tell a lick of difference. Must've just been god's will certain things happened the first month as well as the second month...so why pray?
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
03-06-2015, 07:41 AM
The STEP project study blew a hole in a lot of theists assertions about the power of prayer, but then again, their default position is god did answer, the answer was no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
03-06-2015, 07:42 AM
I liken the "Yes, No, Maybe" answers to the weatherman's "Partly sunny with a chance of rain." No matter what happens, his ass is covered.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
(03-06-2015 07:14 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ...
he died about a year after his diagnosis.

Thank you Jesus for that one extra year.

Drinking Beverage

03-06-2015, 08:05 AM
(03-06-2015 07:41 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The STEP project study blew a hole in a lot of theists assertions about the power of prayer, but then again, their default position is god did answer, the answer was no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

There are certain prayers that are commanded in the bible "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem" -Psalms 122:6

How's that workin' for ya?

There is a modern, glaring example of unanswered prayer and there is no amount of apologism that can hand-wave it away.

Six million of god's "chosen people" died in the Holocaust, every one of them were praying as they were led into the gas chambers.

If this god would let millions of his chosen people die, then why the fuck would he move to get you a parking space at the mall or help your team win?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-06-2015, 08:06 AM
(03-06-2015 08:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 07:14 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ...
he died about a year after his diagnosis.

Thank you Jesus for that one extra year.

Drinking Beverage

Well played sir, you would have been right at home in that church. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Dear god, please make all theists realize you don't exist. I'll be waiting...
03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
(03-06-2015 08:05 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Six million of god's "chosen people" died in the Holocaust, every one of them were praying as they were led into the gas chambers.

If you go around calling yourself "God's Chosen People" -- it's a fair bet that somebody's going to come along and step on your dick, just for the hell of it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.