Claim: vaccines can "trigger or exacerbate autism in some...genetically predisposed"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Claim: vaccines can "trigger or exacerbate autism in some...genetically predisposed"
I am in favor of vaccines, but am also in the process of learning how to address anti-vax ideas since I have conversations with a few anti-vax friends I know on occasion. (I also have an autistic family member, so anything on these topics is of a personal interest to me.)

With the more intelligent anti-vaxers, I believe their claim is NOT that vaccines CAUSE autism, but that vaccines can "trigger or exacerbate" autism in some children who are "genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions." They don't deny that there are unvaccinated kids who get autism because they admit some children do have a genetic predisposition to autism (just like 9 out of 10 identical twins with autism...both have autism), but they make the claim that vaccinated children have a greater chance of having a neurological disorder like ADHD or autism than do unvaccinated children. And they sometimes refer to surveys like the Cal-Oregon Unvacinated survey. (Does anyone know any resources critiquing this survey?)

I recently came across the website for the National Autism Association. Is anyone familiar with them or know if they're a credible organization? They make some of the type of claims as mentioned above in quotes in this post. What are your thoughts on these claims?

http://nationalautismassociation.org/abo...of-autism/

"According to officials at the National Institutes of Health, while there is most likely a genetic predisposition, there must also be an environmental component to autism. The rapid rise in the rate of autism over the last 20 years cannot be attributed solely to genetics."

"While mainstream science discounts vaccinations as a cause, members of the National Autism Association feel vaccinations have triggered autism in a subset of children, and that an overly aggressive vaccination schedule coupled with toxic adjuvants in vaccines could affect individuals who have a family history of autoimmune disorders specifically. As with any medication, adverse events do happen, and vaccinations are no exception. Research to investigate, and reduce, adverse events in immunized individuals is currently nonexistent.

The National Autism Association believes:

--Vaccinations can trigger or exacerbate autism in some, if not many, children, especially those who are genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions.
--Other environmental exposures may trigger, or exacerbate, autism in certain children, especially those who are genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 08:59 AM
RE: Claim: vaccines can "trigger or exacerbate autism in some...genetically predisposed"
To me, it kinda seems like the National Autism Association is a little hoky or run by anti-vaxers. Consider the National Autistic Society in the UK states the following:

http://www.autism.org.uk/news-and-events...utism.aspx

"The National Autistic Society (NAS) is keenly aware of the understandable concerns of parents surrounding suggested links between autism and the MMR vaccine. We recognise that the weight of epidemiological evidence indicates that there is no statistically significant link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

Some parents experience a lack of sympathy and understanding in the healthcare system on medical issues related to their child's autism, notably in relation to gastro-intestinal problems. The NAS is concerned that the media debate around MMR does not negatively impact on access to healthcare for children with autism. Specifically, gastro-intestinal symptoms in people with autism should be taken seriously and managed in the same way as people without autism. We believe that it is crucial that health professionals listen to parents' concerns and respect their views as the experts on their individual children.

The causes of autism are still unknown. Experts believe that autism is caused by interaction between several complex genetic and environmental factors. However, at present these factors are not properly understood. The NAS is therefore also calling for more funding for research into the causes of autism where this will be used to improve the lives of autistic people and their families. We also see it as imperative that more priority is given to research into the effectiveness of interventions for people on the autism spectrum. More research is vital to improve understanding and support for people with autism."
17-02-2015, 08:59 AM
RE: Claim: vaccines can "trigger or exacerbate autism in some...genetically predisposed"
I like their commitment to be more reasonable, but that's in a "comparison" type of view.

One thing on this line of thinking that always came to me was... isn't it the case that traumatic events can bring out signs or trigger states of mental imbalance to a level reaching disorder?

If that's the case, it's also always seemed possible to me from experience it and knowing plenty of others who have experienced it, getting a shot can be a traumatic thing. Plenty of people report fear of shots but I don't know how dumb sounding this is.

I'm not certain the idea shouldn't be more applied to saying, the process of acquiring vaccinations.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-02-2015, 09:19 AM
There are thousands of examples of parents saying their child was perfectly fine until the mmr vaccine and then that night their kid was banging their head against the wall. There is a congressional hearing and Rep. Carolyn Maloney says she knows of over 50 families with the exact same story with the mmr. The link I provided about the lawsuits that merck has settled had the exact same stories documented in court that the kids were fine until the vaccine. The one family had their doctor and school teachers and neighbors all testify the child was perfectly fine.... until the toxic chemical cocktail injection.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirb...68343.html
17-02-2015, 12:17 PM
One guy I work with claims his son was normal until he got the MMR vaccine. Another guy I know claims his son was fine until he got measles...

If you want to keep your family from freezing to death in the winter, you keep a roof over their head... And then complain that they'd have been better off without a house after you lose them in a fire...
17-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Do you trust Harvard?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/vaccinatio...vs-reality

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-02-2015, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2015 12:53 PM by Learner.)
(17-02-2015 12:17 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  One guy I work with claims his son was normal until he got the MMR vaccine. Another guy I know claims his son was fine until he got measles...

If you want to keep your family from freezing to death in the winter, you keep a roof over their head... And then complain that they'd have been better off without a house after you lose them in a fire...

(17-02-2015 12:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do you trust Harvard?

I agree with you both, but you missed my main question in my post above. (The issue of talking about various aspects of vaccines needs everyone to slow down and clearly communicate.) We all agree vaccines do not cause autism, and numerous studies have proven this. Since you clearly missed the question above, let me reiterate it: is it a true statement that "vaccinations can trigger or exacerbate autism in some, if not many, children, especially those who are genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions?"
17-02-2015, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2015 01:00 PM by JDog554.)
(17-02-2015 12:45 PM)Learner Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 12:17 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  One guy I work with claims his son was normal until he got the MMR vaccine. Another guy I know claims his son was fine until he got measles...

(17-02-2015 12:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do you trust Harvard?

I agree with you both, but you missed my main question in my post above. (The issue of talking about various aspects of vaccines needs everyone to slow down and clearly communicate.) Since you clearly missed the question above, let me reiterate it: is it a true statement that "vaccinations can trigger or exacerbate autism in some, if not many, children, especially those who are genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions?"

No, that is not true. Vaccines have no effect on any of those conditions. Only side effects of vaccinations are

injection site reactions (pain, swelling and redness)
mild fever
shivering
fatigue
headache
muscle and joint pain

or on rare cases an allergic reaction.

The viruses in vaccinations are weak and only strong enough to fight off the diseases its made for. Its not strong enough to make an impact on the immune system.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-02-2015, 01:00 PM
(17-02-2015 12:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 12:45 PM)Learner Wrote:  I agree with you both, but you missed my main question in my post above. (The issue of talking about various aspects of vaccines needs everyone to slow down and clearly communicate.) Since you clearly missed the question above, let me reiterate it: is it a true statement that "vaccinations can trigger or exacerbate autism in some, if not many, children, especially those who are genetically predisposed to immune, autoimmune or inflammatory conditions?"

No, that is not true.

What's your source that proves not only that vaccines don't cause autism, but that vaccines couldn't be a trigger for those with a genetic predisposition? I'm trying to obliterate these arguments from every possible angle. Point me to the study, and that's all I'm asking for.
17-02-2015, 01:02 PM
(17-02-2015 01:00 PM)Learner Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 12:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  No, that is not true.

What's your source that proves not only that vaccines don't cause autism, but that vaccines couldn't be a trigger for those with a genetic predisposition? I'm trying to obliterate these arguments from every possible angle. Point me to the study, and that's all I'm asking for.

CDC website has plenty of information on how vaccines work, what they are made of, how the body handles them ect.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/