Claims of Divine Healing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Claims of Divine Healing
Today I talked to man I know who is a Christian. He's not a pastor, but he is a teacher. Anyways he's knows how I used to be a youth preacher and lead messages in FCA(Fellowship of Christian Athletes). So when I told him I doubt the faith and can't really believe the things in the bible he(of course) never gave a good answer. Circular reasoning was used basically because no matter how good of a point I made he would always use a bible passage to defend himself. He said it's good that I have questions and he's never seen anyone ask questions like me especially at my age(18). He thinks I just need to not doubt God and keep pressing. So of course this was almost pointless because he didn't understand that I don't believe and would rather not have anything to do with FCA.

However, he said one thing that really stumped me. Only because I like to think he is a pretty honest guy and wouldn't lie to me. He told me a story about him going to a hospital to pray for a woman who had one side of her face numb from cerebral palsy I think. Anyways, he prayed for her for about 20 minutes and he said that his arm felt warm and she was healed. She could feel her face now. I asked if she was still healed and he said 2-3 years after that he hadn't talked to her since. And after that 2-3 years one day he said that she was on his mind one day because "God put her on his mind" and a a few days after she was the one who called him. They began talking and he said that she needed to tell her church what the Lord had done for her.

How do you all feel about this? I don't want to just debunk it but there's no evidence. For this person to lie to me would be shocking. Maybe there's an explanation? Or he is remembering things incorrectly? What do you all think?

Please no rude comments towards the individual who is my friend. ThanksSmile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: Claims of Divine Healing
Options -

1. He lied. Probably figures it's OK to do so, because it's for "a good reason".

2. An invisible man who lives in the sky cast a spell, and filled his arm with holy spunk - which he spewed all over the lady's face.......

It doesn't take a great deal of brain power to figure out which is more likely.

The real problem, is you like the guy and have a hard time believing he's blowing smoke up your ass.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-09-2016, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 04:14 PM by Anjele.)
I am pretty sure that cerebral palsy can't be cured. It's possible she had suffered a stroke and then improved.

Your friend is giving credit to the divine when no credit is due...it's a natural healing process.

As for the phone call - coincidence.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-09-2016, 04:12 PM
(15-09-2016 03:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Options -

1. He lied. Probably figures it's OK to do so, because it's for "a good reason".

2. An invisible man who lives in the sky cast a spell, and filled his arm with holy spunk - which he spewed all over the lady's face.......

It doesn't take a great deal of brain power to figure out which is more likely.

The real problem, is you like the guy and have a hard time believing he's blowing smoke up your ass.
True I would agree that I may have a bias because of that reason. My father is a pastor though and he claimed that he had bone spurs healed in a church service and I know he wouldn't lie to me. The only thing I can figure is maybe where he took a few steroids before from the doctor it could've helped and/or it healed and his brain told him it was healed. Some of these "hearings" I'm sure have to do with the placebo effect

15-09-2016, 04:13 PM
(15-09-2016 04:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am pretty sure that cerebral palsy can't be cured. It's possible she had suffered a stroke and then improved.

You friend is giving credit to the divine when no credit is due...it's a natural healing process.

As for the phone call - coincidence.

Yea it's true that there's a natural explanation.
15-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Right god helps this one woman but let's millions die everyday pardon my skepticism

As for the they would not lie to me argument often spouted by mystics i don't know if there lying or not all i know is i have no reason to accept it

This will often be followed by if it happened to you or if you sought it out you would believe my general response to this is NO i would not because i could also be fooled

This is often followed by your a hypocrite because you accept x or y stories. i never give a mere story the same wait as empirical evidence our over reliance on hearsay is a problem to be solved not a thing to be embraced

And really the conservation just degenerates from there.Often the word psdoskeptic will be used because apparently not embracing fringe nuttery based on hearsay and bad methodology . And accepting well evidence well studied idea's makes you not a skeptic.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
15-09-2016, 04:31 PM
(15-09-2016 04:27 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Right god helps this one woman but let's millions die everyday pardon my skepticism

As for the they would not lie to me argument often spouted by mystics i don't know if there lying or not all i know is i have no reason to accept it

This will often be followed by if it happened to you or if you sought it out you would believe my general response to this is NO i would not because i could also be fooled

This is often followed by your a hypocrite because you accept x or y stories. i never give a mere story the same wait as empirical evidence our over reliance on hearsay is a problem to be solved not a thing to be embraced

And really the conservation just degenerates from there.Often the word psdoskeptic will be used because apparently not embracing fringe nuttery based on hearsay and bad methodology . And accepting well evidence well studied idea's makes you not a skeptic.

Yea your first sentence is what makes me skeptical too. And yes you could be fooled so honestly hearsay isn't a reliable source.
15-09-2016, 04:34 PM

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-09-2016, 04:35 PM
It's called Bell's Palsy and it heals all by itself ALL the time, and the transformation is almost instanteous. No miracle needed. Tell him to grow up and do some research.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like WillHopp's post
15-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Ever notice there are no artificial limbs in the pile of crutches outside Lourdes? Consider
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post