Claims of seeing God/ Jesus/ Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2012, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 03:35 PM by Randi.Renee.)
Claims of seeing God/ Jesus/ Heaven
Do you beileve that people have seen God/ Jesus?

From what I have heard/seen. Most of these claims have been made from people that have been in traumatic situations (surgery, death bed, horrific car wreck, on heavy medication in the hospital, ect...).

I was raised Christian. Went to Christian school ect...

I had a traumatic life changing accident when I was 13. I was in cheerleading accident. I broke my C5 ( 5th vertebrea in my neck), leaving me with a spinal cord injury. Quadraplegia. After surgery, I was in the Trauma Unit for 6 weeks. At one point, I could hear people talking in my hospital room, but could not see them. I rose above my own body. It felt like I was floating around the room. I thought I had died. Never saw a "bright light" or heard God, but I really believed I died and had rose from my body. I thought maybe God gave me a second chance to live my life.

As I have goten older, I have made an amazing recovery. I can now feel everything on my body. I can walk with the use of a cane. Dr's thought I would be dependant the rest of my life.

My point is... I am now an Atheist. Looking back on my hospital experience, I feel that I was wanting God to help me so bad, that (with being sedated) I imagined this. I do not think it even happened. Being an Atheist, I can see where my mind made it up.
Christian's (with similar experiences to mine) believe in God, therefore the "know" it was real. Especially if they had an experience (imagined) that God was present.

We have heard "I died and saw God" or "I died and went Heaven" or even "I went the doors/gates of Hell, but Jesus saved me and gave me a second chance."

I think that most of these people are telling their story (what they imagined) ,but also repeating what others have described before. This makes it believeable because others have "seen/been there" too. Ex: " I saw the bright ligt" or the descrption of God, Jesus or Heaven.

I am wondering what people think of these claims. If you have had an experience similar at all, please share it.
If not, please comment with your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Randi.Renee's post
23-02-2012, 03:59 PM
RE: Claims of seeing God/ Jesus/ Heaven
I think the fact that there are plenty of contradictory near death experience descriptions of the afterlife pretty much discredits them from providing any solid evidence.

Under the effects of anesthesia and stress, it's not surprising that people experience hallucinations. Out of body experiences are extremely common hallucinations. There are also hypotheses that near death, the brain produces and excess of DMT naturally. DMT has been found in small amounts in human CSF but the hypothesis that it's produced near death is untested. DMT is known for producing hallucinations in which people meet with "otherworldly" beings. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
23-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Great to hear of your recovery.

You know that you could write a christian book, give all the credit to god, be on a book tour for the next three years and be a million book seller.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
23-02-2012, 06:02 PM

(23-02-2012 03:27 PM)Randi.Renee Wrote:  Do you beileve that people have seen God/ Jesus?

From what I have heard/seen. Most of these claims have been made from people that have been in traumatic situations (surgery, death bed, horrific car wreck, on heavy medication in the hospital, ect...).

I was raised Christian. Went to Christian school ect...

I had a traumatic life changing accident when I was 13. I was in cheerleading accident. I broke my C5 ( 5th vertebrea in my neck), leaving me with a spinal cord injury. Quadraplegia. After surgery, I was in the Trauma Unit for 6 weeks. At one point, I could hear people talking in my hospital room, but could not see them. I rose above my own body. It felt like I was floating around the room. I thought I had died. Never saw a "bright light" or heard God, but I really believed I died and had rose from my body. I thought maybe God gave me a second chance to live my life.

As I have goten older, I have made an amazing recovery. I can now feel everything on my body. I can walk with the use of a cane. Dr's thought I would be dependant the rest of my life.

My point is... I am now an Atheist. Looking back on my hospital experience, I feel that I was wanting God to help me so bad, that (with being sedated) I imagined this. I do not think it even happened. Being an Atheist, I can see where my mind made it up.
Christian's (with similar experiences to mine) believe in God, therefore the "know" it was real. Especially if they had an experience (imagined) that God was present.

We have heard "I died and saw God" or "I died and went Heaven" or even "I went the doors/gates of Hell, but Jesus saved me and gave me a second chance."

I think that most of these people are telling their story (what they imagined) ,but also repeating what others have described before. This makes it believeable because others have "seen/been there" too. Ex: " I saw the bright ligt" or the descrption of God, Jesus or Heaven.

I am wondering what people think of these claims. If you have had an experience similar at all, please share it.
If not, please comment with your thoughts.

And yet, you atheists have the audacity to ask for proof.

Here you have a mystical experience; you’re allowed to walk with only a cane to remind you of your QUADRIPLEGIA. And you become an atheist anyway. Don’t you have any respect at all?

Now you come in here and you want a bunch of atheists to tell you, “Oh, it was nothing. Just the drugs, just a chance in a million played out and you can walk. It’s nothing. You’re right—no God needed.”

Well of course that’s what they’re going to say. But here’s what I say: You better wake up and start fearing God. Maybe that’ll turn into a close relationship with Him, maybe it won’t, but do you really want to finish out your life spitting in the face of the one who could have made you dependent on others to feed you in a nursing home for decades!

I’m an asshole; fine. I’m not the best example of Christ; I accept that, but I cannot believe, I just can’t understand it, how someone with your life experience could be an atheist. I’m seriously wondering if you were just created to be that way. Maybe your whole purpose in life is to come into this forum so that I could finally be convinced that just as it is said about Judas, you were preordained to be condemned.

I’ll tell you something: I listen to your story, and it makes me fear God just reading it. Confused Man, you would have done better joining the most outlandish new age cult that believed in any version of God, than becoming an atheist after your life experience.

I'm curious: You weren't an atheist then. I'll be you even prayed that God would heal you, let you walk, didn't you?
Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2012, 06:07 PM
(23-02-2012 06:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  And yet, you atheists have the audacity to ask for proof.

Here you have a mystical experience; you’re allowed to walk with only a cane to remind you of your QUADRIPLEGIA. And you become an atheist anyway. Don’t you have any respect at all?

Now you come in here and you want a bunch of atheists to tell you, “Oh, it was nothing. Just the drugs, just a chance in a million played out and you can walk. It’s nothing. You’re right—no God needed.”

Well of course that’s what they’re going to say. But here’s what I say: You better wake up and start fearing God. Maybe that’ll turn into a close relationship with Him, maybe it won’t, but do you really want to finish out your life spitting in the face of the one who could have made you dependent on others to feed you in a nursing home for decades!

I’m an asshole; fine. I’m not the best example of Christ; I accept that, but I cannot believe, I just can’t understand it, how someone with your life experience could be an atheist. I’m seriously wondering if you were just created to be that way. Maybe your whole purpose in life is to come into this forum so that I could finally be convinced that just as it is said about Judas, you were preordained to be condemned.

I’ll tell you something: I listen to your story, and it makes me fear God just reading it. Confused Man, you would have done better joining the most outlandish new age cult that believed in any version of God, than becoming an atheist after your life experience.

I believe you are referring to # 36 ?

Hundreds of proofs of God's existence
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Egor, I have an idea. Fuck off.

Sorry. Was that a personal attack?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Bizarrely enough, #63 seems to also apply Tongue
23-02-2012, 06:13 PM
(23-02-2012 06:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  And yet, you atheists have the audacity to ask for proof.

I suggest an experiment. You have your spinal cord surgically severed and we’ll see if god can fix it? If he does, under medical proof, I'll give 10% to the church of your choice for the rest of my working days. If others join in you can make a lot of money for god.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
23-02-2012, 06:50 PM

(23-02-2012 06:13 PM)Thomas Wrote:  

I suggest an experiment. You have your spinal cord surgically severed and we’ll see if god can fix it? If he does, under medical proof, I'll give 10% to the church of your choice for the rest of my working days. If others join in you can make a lot of money for god.

Desperate to sidetrack, aren't you Thomas? Let's get the subject off on to me or some other extremely poplar topic so Little Miss doesn't have to respond--she can just sit back and watch the show. I don't think so.
Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Shut up egor. Your opinion is worth noting and is not wanted here. Go die in a hole somewhere already.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post