Clams on Seeing God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 02:26 PM by Commonsensei.)
Clams on Seeing God.
Often in conversations I have with people when talking about the subject of God. Or trying to explain a clearer understanding of my position. I ask "Have you ever seen God?" I hope to get a honest response of "No." Or in the very least "No, but I've seen his actions." But this more often then not is not what I get. I get a very bold "Yes!" I ask again for a stronger clarification. "The physical embodiment of God?" "Yes!"

I then ask them when, where, how? And depending on the person I might add a "Quick call the papers!" Their response is often a quick change of topic or long non-understandable description of some event in the bible. I ask them to describe the event in question. What was asked when in the presence of an all knowing being? Nothing, or some BS quotes from the bible.

I never recall making an assertion like these when I was a believer. When I was a Catholic I remember asking what dose God look like? I had three different responses from three different CCD teachers. One was "Like the painting in the Sixteenth Chapel. Another was "No one has ever seen god, to look upon the face of the lord would spell certain doom for any mortal. That is why He took the form of a burning bush for Moses." And another was "Don't ask stupid questions."

If their clams are true (HIGHLY DOUBTABLE) then why not use that opportunity to unlock the deepest mysteries of the universe? How to cure Cancer? How to fix the O-zone? What is the nature of Dark Matter?

Now I know this falls in the personal experience category. And we can't disprove personal experience's. But there as to be someway of making them see that their bullshit story isn't working, if they are simply trying to convert you with a short statement alone.

Have you had any run-in's with people that make this claim?

Or has made this claim before?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: Clams on Seeing God.
[Image: clam4.png]

I think your clams need some eyes (i).

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 24 users Like Anjele's post
05-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Son of a Bitch!

Facepalm

Fuck it!

What's the deal with God and shellfish?

Leviticus 11:12

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 10 users Like Commonsensei's post
05-09-2015, 01:28 PM
(05-09-2015 01:24 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Son of a Bitch!

Facepalm

Fuck it!

What's the deal with God and shellfish?

Leviticus 11:12

Gawd did it. I knew it all along. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
05-09-2015, 01:40 PM
(05-09-2015 01:15 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Have you had any run-in's with people that make this clam?

[Image: NvGRejQ.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-09-2015, 01:44 PM
If you had said Oysters, we may have gotten some pearls of wisdom. Big Grin
[Image: oyster_zpsiy7vnsz1.jpg]
[+] 11 users Like pablo's post
05-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I've ran into a few people like that. But often they have let an emotional mis-remembrance become part of their core identity, and that's not something they're going to readily shed.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-09-2015, 02:11 PM
(05-09-2015 01:15 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Often in conversations I have with people when talking about the subject of God. Or trying to explain a clearer understanding of my position. I ask "Have you ever seen God?" I hope to get a honest response of "No." Or in the very least "No, but I've seen his actions." But this more often then not is not what I get. I get a very bold "Yes!" I ask again for a stronger clarification. "The physical embodiment of God?" "Yes!"

I then ask them when, where, how? And depending on the person I might add a "Quick call the papers!" Their response is often a quick change of topic or long non-understandable description of some event in the bible. I ask them to describe the event in question. What was asked when in the presence of an all knowing being? Nothing, or some BS quotes from the bible.

I never recall making an assertion like these when I was a believer. When I was a Catholic I remember asking what dose God look like? I had three different responses from three different CCD teachers. One was "Like the painting in the Sixteenth Chapel. Another was "No one has ever seen god, to look upon the face of the lord would spell certain doom for any mortal. That is why He took the form of a burning bush for Moses." And another was "Don't ask stupid questions."

If their clams are true (HIGHLY DOUBTABLE) then why not use that opportunity to unlock the deepest mysteries of the universe? How to cure Cancer? How to fix the O-zone? What is the nature of Dark Matter?

Now I know this falls in the personal experience category. And we can't disprove personal experience's. But there as to be someway of making them see that their bullshit story isn't working, if they are simply trying to convert you with a short statement alone.

Have you had any run-in's with people that make this clam?

Or has made this claim before?

I think Catholics would be a bit more reserved than making claims like that. I had a Pentecostal background and they were seeing angels, demons, god, Jesus, just about everything. They would see these apparitions in circumstances, though I remember someone claiming they saw an angel in her dream and it was a specific manifestation after a sermon on seeing angels.

There was also the phenomenon of someone in church standing and speaking in tongues and then someone else would stand and interpret the tongues, this was supposed to be a message from gawd.

The content of these "messages" would be vague and generally worthless, something like-"God saith if you serve Him, he will pour out his blessings on those that serve him."

For someone that had grew up watching the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan, I remembered how he dissected the nonsense of astrology and how they made predictions by being vague. This nonsense just didn't wash with me, I would be impressed if god would give exact lottery numbers to win a hundred million dollars. That would be impressive, this pablum they spewed claiming to be prophetic was completely and utterly useless, just like a horoscope.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-09-2015, 02:34 PM
[Image: keep-clam-and-proofread--60.png]

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 9 users Like Free's post
05-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Are these clams fried? Because if they are, I prefer them in their natural, alive state in the ocean as God intended them to be Wink
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post