Clams on Seeing God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Clams on Seeing God.
[Image: fgx8y.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Commonsensei's post
05-09-2015, 03:53 PM
As a Christian, I never had a run-in with God in physical form--but I would have told you I felt his presence (albeit invisible). Of course, this was all psychological--but at the time as a believer, I really felt He was there when I needed him, watching over me. It really is a good example of the power of suggestion.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-09-2015, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 04:26 PM by cactus.)
When I used to go to church camp, several people mentioned having "encounters" with God or demons in the middle of the night that led them to get baptized. They'd sometimes talk about hearing voices, seeing spirits in the room, or feeling the presence of demons weighing down on them. My own pastor used to talk about a similar experience he'd had when he was a little kid, where he had been attacked by demons in his bed. Since I had never experienced such a thing myself, I just assumed that I wasn't ready to get baptized yet. Whenever people would ask me if I wanted to get baptized, I'd always just tell them I needed more time to think about it. I kept holding out for that moment of undeniable affirmation of God's existence, until....
I went away to college and realized I was an atheist...
and then a friend told me about his experiences with sleep paralysis. After that, the whole concept of "feeling a supernatural presence" became pretty much a moot point to me.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
[Image: dyslexics_of_the_world_untie_t_shirt-rdf...v_1024.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 12 users Like Full Circle's post
05-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Haven't heard of clams seeing god but I did hear of a squid who saw Elvis.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 7 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-09-2015, 08:46 PM
(05-09-2015 01:15 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ... there as to be someway of making them see that their bullshit story isn't working...

No. There doesn't. They are morons. You can no more expect to be able to talk reason into their skulls than you'd expect to be able to explain vector calculus to a marmot. Don't bother even trying.

A much better approach is to tell them about the FSM. I've found that leaves them flummoxed because their preachers have not told them what to say when confronted with Pastafarianism. And since they are too stupid to ever have an original thought, they generally shut up when faced with an idea their preacher has not given them an answer to.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
06-09-2015, 12:44 AM
(05-09-2015 08:46 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  ... They are morons. You can no more expect to be able to talk reason into their skulls than you'd expect to be able to explain vector calculus to a marmot ...

Well that's not strictly true or there'd never be any apostates, even to other religions if not to atheism.

The marmot mind that embraces religion doesn't puzzle me. It's the obviously intelligent minds that stay religious that baffle me. The only answer it seems to me is that religion confers something to such minds that it doesn't confer to the apostate - or at least so powerfully that intellect can't displace it. But whatever it is I don't believe it possible for an intelligent educated mind to sustain religious belief without conscious intellectual dishonesty because any close examination of religion reveals absurdities that accumulate, never reconcile to honest intellectual appraisal.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-09-2015, 04:03 AM
No, never I met someone who would claims that he had seen god. Only thing that could come close to such idiotic statement was this gem I heard from theology student - during The Battle of Warsaw Virgin Mary appeared and was seen by both sides fighting; that's why bolsheviks lost. Would be hilarious if she wouldn't be also history student.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-09-2015, 04:49 AM
[Image: Clam_d75f07_2480210.jpg]

If they try to spout that kind of bullshit at you, this is how you deal with it:

God states in their own bible:

But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.”

Exodus 33:20

"No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

John 1:18

Just thump them with their own bible Big Grin

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Octapulse's post
06-09-2015, 05:16 AM
There's three types of people that "see god".

One - those taking really powerful drugs.
Two - those talking serious major league bullshit.
Three - those who are completely out of their fucking minds.

Or, any hybrids of the three above sub-types.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post