Clarification on controversial topics.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 09:59 AM by kingschosen.)
Clarification on controversial topics.
The recent closure of the parenting thread has probably raised some questions, and I believe some clarification on this topic is necessary.

First, we are big advocates of free speech. We want and will allow most topics of conversation to be addressed. The topic that WILL NOT be talked about is the merits of pedophilia (per Seth). HOWEVER, there does come a time when controversial topics need to temporarily silenced. When the topic of conversation degrades into emotional responses, personal insults and threats, and triggers for PTSD, the thread and the topic need a cooling off period.

We are not saying that these topics cannot be addressed or talked about ever again. We just want to avoid causing a massive conflict between users on the forum like we saw last year. Usually, if a controversial thread is closed, it will not be reopened; however, that does not prevent a new thread from being made or people continuing the conversation via PM.

We would just ask that people approach these topics with civility and neutrality and open mindedness. We would encourage people to not act out emotionally and try to discuss the topic with calmness and understanding.

Per Seth, it is our job as the forum team to identify and prevent major rifts and infighting.

Our members come from all over the world; from all walks of life; and we all have varying beliefs. But, we have amalgamated here on TTA as one big dysfunctional family... but we're a family. We fight. We love. We forgive. Remember that, TTA.

If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to ask. The forum team is here to serve the community.

Thanks for your time,

-KC

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
17-01-2014, 08:26 AM
RE: Clarification on controversial topics.
I just want to say that I thinking locking the thread to let cooler heads prevail is a great idea!! Thumbsup

may I suggest we come up with a standard amount of time?

like an hour or two or something? sometimes people just need to step away from the keyboard and gather themselves. find something else to do, read other threads.

I like the family here and don't want things to turn into ugly battles over ideas that neither party will likely change.

Heart to TTA

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-01-2014, 08:49 AM
(17-01-2014 08:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just want to say that I thinking locking the thread to let cooler heads prevail is a great idea!! Thumbsup

may I suggest we come up with a standard amount of time?

like an hour or two or something? sometimes people just need to step away from the keyboard and gather themselves. find something else to do, read other threads.

I like the family here and don't want things to turn into ugly battles over ideas that neither party will likely change.

Heart to TTA

I don't think there is such a thing here as a "one size fits all".

Let's just play it by ear, each thread will have different people and topics and issues.

"Dysfunctional family" - I like that description. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Totally understandable.
But on another topic, I think you should bold the "not" in "WILL not address pedophilia." When I first read that I didn't see the "not" and was like "WTF Angry"

Atir aissom atir imon
17-01-2014, 09:53 AM
(17-01-2014 08:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The recent closure of the parenting thread has probably raised some questions, and I believe some clarification on this topic is necessary.

First, we are big advocates of free speech. We want and will allow most topics of conversation to be addressed. The topic that WILL not be talked about is the merits of pedophilia (per Seth). HOWEVER, there does come a time when controversial topics need to temporarily silenced. When the topic of conversation degrades into emotional responses, personal insults and threats, and triggers for PTSD, the thread and the topic need a cooling off period.

We are not saying that these topics cannot be addressed or talked about ever again. We just want to avoid causing a massive conflict between users on the forum like we saw last year. Usually, if a controversial thread is closed, it will not be reopened; however, that does not prevent a new thread from being made or people continuing the conversation via PM.

We would just ask that people approach these topics with civility and neutrality and open mindedness. We would encourage people to not act out emotionally and try to discuss the topic with calmness and understanding.

Per Seth, it is our job as the forum team to identify and prevent major rifts and infighting.

Our members come from all over the world; from all walks of life; and we all have varying beliefs. But, we have amalgamated here on TTA as one big dysfunctional family... but we're a family. We fight. We love. We forgive. Remember that, TTA.

If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to ask. The forum team is here to serve the community.

Thanks for your time,

-KC

Well done youThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Btw sorry didn't think anyone would blow up like that
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Fair enough. This place is an island of freedom compared to certain other forum I've been banned from recently.

I think I've made my statements very clear and people involved will need some time to process the information. (and I'll need time to put it into practice, heh heh)
17-01-2014, 10:06 AM
(17-01-2014 10:05 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Fair enough. This place is an island of freedom compared to certain other forum I've been banned from recently.
Just out of curiosity... which forums were that? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-01-2014, 10:08 AM
(17-01-2014 10:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Just out of curiosity... which forums were that? Consider

Oh how the mighty Grammar Nazi™ has fallen!

Banana_zorro

[+] 13 users Like Dark Light's post
17-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(17-01-2014 10:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 10:05 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Fair enough. This place is an island of freedom compared to certain other forum I've been banned from recently.
Just out of curiosity... which forums were that? Consider
Ironically enough, the name is Freedomain Radio community boards. Thanks for your curiosity, but I'll make a separate topic on that.