Class discrimination: Isn't this obvious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Class discrimination: Isn't this obvious?
Most of you know I work in FA. I help dozens of students a day... trying to get them money for school.

I will tell you this - it's frustrating.

It's frustrating that people who basically live off the government receive so much money from Pell and then can receive federal loan refunds. They are basically pocketing the cash with no intent to pay it back. They are career students that hop from school to school getting Pell and refunds.

It's ridiculous. The lower your income; the more money you get.

Now, I also see students on the other end. Student who are contributing members of society... working people... trying to go to school. Yet, they are penalized for how much they make. The more they make; the less Pell they get.

This is just ludicrous. It's out-and-out class discrimination. All undergraduate students should be eligible for the same amount of Pell regardless of income. It's a horribly imbalanced and corrupt system that encourages laziness and being given handouts.

Thoughts?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 08:54 AM
RE: Class discrimination: Isn't this obvious?
Since going back to school, (on my dime), I have seen several non-traditional students that do just enough to keep the money flowing in. Pretending to be a serious student is their job. I had one woman tell me during lunch one day that I should be getting grants for school and proceeded to tell me how to get around the system to get the most for the least effort.
Like many entitlements, there are those that are going to work the system and those that need and deserve help that can't get it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
22-02-2013, 08:56 AM
(22-02-2013 08:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Most of you know I work in FA. I help dozens of students a day... trying to get them money for school.

I will tell you this - it's frustrating.

It's frustrating that people who basically live off the government receive so much money from Pell and then can receive federal loan refunds. They are basically pocketing the cash with no intent to pay it back. They are career students that hop from school to school getting Pell and refunds.

It's ridiculous. The lower your income; the more money you get.

Now, I also see students on the other end. Student who are contributing members of society... working people... trying to go to school. Yet, they are penalized for how much they make. The more they make; the less Pell they get.

This is just ludicrous. It's out-and-out class discrimination. All undergraduate students should be eligible for the same amount of Pell regardless of income. It's a horribly imbalanced and corrupt system that encourages laziness and being given handouts.

Thoughts?

And what did you expect from a congress that works two days a week, and lives off lobbyists, and makes almost $200,000 a year for doing nothing ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
22-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Too much generalization me thinks, but I'll add to it. Most of the undergraduates I encounter, don't give a shit one way or the other. And that is coming from expeirence at 2 state schools (UTChattanooga and UConn) and a private school (Syracuse).

The ones who do tend to care, are always the ones who have had to struggle to get here. That does not mean that there are not students who are well off (or better off) that don't work hard, but for the most part, the students with less work more.

And I also know a couple of people who had to go to school on their own dime and couldn't afford it. They still owe their school money. Meaning that the school won't give them their diploma or release their transcripts. And if you can't afford to pay on your federal student loans and you don't long enough, they stop issuing you a W2.

The whole goddamn system needs repair.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
22-02-2013, 05:18 PM
That seems like nonsense. Maybe you just aren't addressing bigger schools, but I can't tell.

When I went to school, I think I got about as much as you can get in Pell grant money, plus federal loans, then even after multiple other scholarships, grants, that I had to apply for and qualify for, I still had more expenses, that I paid for by working and some money from family, and now, I'm paying back the federal loans.

I dropped out and didn't really like it, more so due to the practice than in theory. Now, I despise having to pay back loans, and finances ended up being a big reason for me saying fuck it to school; but without the aid, I wouldn't have even had the opportunity, and for me, that opportunity and experience was priceless, even though the actual education was, almost, complete, fucking, dog shit.

So, I really don't know the overall numbers, but for me, personally, and a lot of people like me, I'd see how there could be a benefit for kids going to bigger schools, that might, as a plus, outweigh some corruption, going on at smaller schools. I'd just have to see it as a bigger picture to make an accurate judgement.

But forgetting all of that: We actually have to pay money, directly, for an education, and to me, that's an issue.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 2 users Like TrulyX's post
22-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Yip, shit be fucked up yo.

Here, you get your student allowance (about $200) and can earn up to $200 before they start taking $1 for $1 out of your student allowance.

aka, I can work 15hours on around minimum wage and get the same amount per week ($400) as I would if I worked up to 30hours on the same wage because that second lot of 15hours, $200, would be taken dollar for dollar out of my student allowance.
Student allowance I don't have to pay back I might add.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Students from all socio-economic backgrounds should be given a fair go at access to tertiary education. How you reach that point is detail but problems can emerge in the detail. In my country the arrangement is that you can attend university for no out of pocket cost except for textbooks, supplies etc. The cost of the course is partially subsidised and partially paid under a government loan scheme. The loan portion is garnished from your wages when and if you reach a minimum salary threshold. You can also choose to pay the amount as a lump sump to receive a discount. Upfront payments during the course also return a discount.
If you go onto postgraduate courses there is a slightly different scheme involved. There are also limits as to how many years of undergraduate study you can accumulate under the scheme.
It's not a perfect system, but I think it is fair. Children shouldn't be made to suffer educational impairment due to the mismanagement or misfortune of their parents.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
22-02-2013, 09:48 PM
We have public universities and private ones, the curious thing is that public and private unis have pretty much the same professors, they work in the private ones for the salary and in the public ones for the prestige because somehow public unis, with low budgets, low salaries for the staff and crowded classrooms provide far better education and better professionals than private universities...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-02-2013, 10:06 PM
"This is just ludicrous. It's out-and-out class discrimination."

I concur. In your opinion, who is to blame?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 03:04 AM
(22-02-2013 10:06 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "This is just ludicrous. It's out-and-out class discrimination."

I concur. In your opinion, who is to blame?
Well, the Democrats, of course--they invented class warfare. Some 'compassionate conservatives' contributed.

When the government makes the price of something zero, we will see shortages and skyrocketing costs to produce that good. It's no surprise to see college costs soar as student financial aid is increased. At least with loans that are paid back, there is some sense of cost controlling how much the consumer (the student) spends. Why should there be any limit if it's someone else's money they are spending and never have to pay back?

I don't care how poor someone is, there should be no free ride for anyone. Why should a middle class student graduate with the typical $20k-$30k in loans while the lower class student has no loans to pay back at all?

Partisanship aside, Obama was on the right track when he proposed requiring colleges and universities to publish data on student graduation rates, indebtedness, default rates, and economic performance of college graduates. Maybe if colleges started actually giving a shit about the well being of the students they matriculate (even if forced to), they will start trying to graduate students in useful careers and at a price that doesn't bury their graduates financially.