Classical Music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Classical Music
So, does anyone here listen to classical music at all?

I'm not exactly a buff, and it isn't necessarily my strongest suit, but I do partake every once in a while. I know most of my tastes seem to fit into mainstream classical composers such as Beethoven and Mozart and Chopin, who are doubtlessly my favorites, but I've been branching out, or trying to at least.

Lately I've been enjoying Bruckner, Haydn, and Handel. I find, however, that I have a bit of a hard time getting into Russian composers. In my experience the music feels so heavy handed, not to say that it is bad but it seems to lack the subtlety of more western composers. However I have managed to find a deep love for Mussorgsky...

What about you? Do you listen as well?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 09:31 PM

RE: Classical Music
I listen for sure. Less now than when I was getting tested on it at school. Blush

I can appreciate all of the classical (style not a period) composers, but I like the Romantics the absolute best. I can tolerate Baroque (and the early classical) up to a point, but I find it way too formulaic for my tastes most of the time. Counterpoint = a good nap. Smile

My favorites to play are Chopin, the good old Beethoven Sonatas, and I have a real thing for Rachmaninoff. He was the man.
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Tchaikovsky and Debussy are two more I forgot to mention, love them to bits. Debussy I'm really starting to get into, I love his unconventional approach to composition, the man was a genius on so many levels.

I pretty much agree with you on Romantic period composers generally being better than Baroque Tongue Same reasons too, it just feels more free and experimental

30-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I used to listen to classical a lot when I drove taxi. The radio stations around here have short playlists, which gets very boring to me. I need variety. Unfotunately, the titles and composers of a lot of what I listened to got lost due to the job of driving, dealing with passengers ect.

Have you heard any Rochmoninov? He is a Russian composer that I like. Try youtubing his 1st symphony. I also like Bach, Beethovan and Mozart. I see their music as being very defining and revolutionary for their periods.

I haven't been listing to much of that lately, though.

Have you heard of Blackmore's Night? It is a medievil folkish style music by Richie Blackmore(ex-Deep Purple guitarist) and his wife Candice Night.
30-09-2010, 04:57 AM
I like video game and movie OSTs. I like Jeremy Soule, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Martin O'Donnell, etc.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
02-10-2010, 03:04 AM

I also like the classic music that much. When I got free I always hear classic music, but some times it depends on my mood. Most probably I would like to hear classic music. But when I got angry with someone I like to hear metal music.
28-10-2010, 04:08 AM

i love to listen Classical Music,..
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was awesome Classical Music singer,...
28-10-2010, 10:15 AM

I've spent a lifetime loving and listening to non-pop (although I also listen to Rock and Reggae and HipHop, etc.) and I recommend:

Bach Double Violin Concerto (a baroque piece with the emotion of Romanticism)
Vivaldi Four Seasons (first pop group to tour Europe)
Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite (a modern version of Baroque)
Beethoven Fantasie for Piano, Orchestra, Choir and Soloists (a Beta-version of his famous Ninth ('Choral') Symphony)
Rachmaninoff Fantasies for Two Pianos (not unlike a good high)
Brahms Academic Festival Overture (Cary Grant conducts this in "People Will Talk" (1951))
Barber Adagio for Strings (Sound track to "Platoon"(1986))
Debussy String Quartet
Hadyn Piano Sonatas
Mozart Requiem
Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares - Female Vocal Choir (see http://themysteryofthebulgarianvoices.co...AILS.html)

There are hundreds more but these are some of the best! Plus, with a good Classical Piece you get to hear how different recordings compare to each other: Leonard Bernstein's version, James Levine's version, Stravinsky conducting his own music (Yes--there's a Columbia LP Set on CD!) Try it with Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony--every orchestra does it a little different and it's always a great ride...
11-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Classical Music is give me a nice enjoyment. I feel relax when I listening Classical music. It gives me peace of mind. It is rhythmic and good for me. I also like to listen Zazz and Pop music. British and Indian Songs are superb for music.
17-01-2011, 12:47 AM
I don't know if it counts, but I love film and game music. My favorite composers are Jeremy Soule (The Elder Scrolls series, Harry Potter series, Guild Wars) and Hans Zimmer (The Lion King, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean series)

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert