Classroom Discussion Vol. 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Classroom Discussion Vol. 2
Hi,

Right now I feel like I'm gonna get back to you guys after every class to discuss about what this teacher says, lol. So because everyone ends up asking these questions, here are some details:

- Last year of High School class
- Belgium
- Happens in Religion subject/class (2h/week)

So, sometimes he doesn't make any big claims and isn't any different than geography class (like, we just learn theory about other religions, what they do and that kind of crap). But this time, the following happened:

He first stated that these Our Lady of Kibeho stories are 100% real since he "saw" them, he being from Rwanda. For some odd reason he said it happened in 1942, but he wasn't even fucking born at the time, and he described it as women who didn't stop staring at the ceiling during 40 days because of "Holy Mary" without eating or drinking, and that doctors and scientists came by to try to see what was wrong with them, my teacher claims the syringes to get their blood couldn't even pierce their skin.

That's where I snapped and said, literally, "BULLSHIT". The moment I heard the syringe thing... I asked him for proof and he said: I saw it with my own very eyes. Multiple times he said it. I asked if we could still research and examine those experiences, to which he said "Yeah, you can still go to Rwanda and see them like this". I think he said so because he obviously knows I'm not fucking going to another country to check some nonsense.

As I was trying to argue he just kept saying "Science can't explain everything, science only explains some phenomena", "I don't believe in only that which I can see", things I went to discuss with him after class (honestly felt like wasting my time, but shit happens).

At one point, over this "I don't believe in only that which I can see" thing I told him that at least, the starting point should be skepticism, and move on from there as we see it to be truth or bullshit. I gave him one example, what if I tell you there's an undetectable invisible penguin right by my side dancing to russian hardbass?

He didn't directly answer, he just said we lack the tools to verify it, the same way we can't see electromagnetic waves except through a device/tool, and he applies this to everything we can't prove yet.

I don't know at which point I told him that if we're going talk about creation, his God must have a creator too. He then proceeded to say that this ultimate creator is God and he claimed that I just accepted the fact that there must be an intelligent creator based on what I told him. I don't think I said so.

So... what do you think of all of this? Might drop him a few of yours next time I see him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2016, 02:08 PM
RE: Classroom Discussion Vol. 2
Wow that's...something. Facepalm

He clearly doesn't want to actually debate the example or the issue, so it might not be worth your time to try and do so.

Also, is the "he" the teacher or another student? I'm missing some contextual information here.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
21-11-2016, 02:16 PM
(21-11-2016 02:01 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi,

Right now I feel like I'm gonna get back to you guys after every class to discuss about what this teacher says, lol. So because everyone ends up asking these questions, here are some details:

- Last year of High School class
- Belgium
- Happens in Religion subject/class (2h/week)

So, sometimes he doesn't make any big claims and isn't any different than geography class (like, we just learn theory about other religions, what they do and that kind of crap). But this time, the following happened:

He first stated that these Our Lady of Kibeho stories are 100% real since he "saw" them, he being from Rwanda. For some odd reason he said it happened in 1942, but he wasn't even fucking born at the time, and he described it as women who didn't stop staring at the ceiling during 40 days because of "Holy Mary" without eating or drinking, and that doctors and scientists came by to try to see what was wrong with them, my teacher claims the syringes to get their blood couldn't even pierce their skin.

That's where I snapped and said, literally, "BULLSHIT". The moment I heard the syringe thing... I asked him for proof and he said: I saw it with my own very eyes. Multiple times he said it. I asked if we could still research and examine those experiences, to which he said "Yeah, you can still go to Rwanda and see them like this". I think he said so because he obviously knows I'm not fucking going to another country to check some nonsense.

As I was trying to argue he just kept saying "Science can't explain everything, science only explains some phenomena", "I don't believe in only that which I can see", things I went to discuss with him after class (honestly felt like wasting my time, but shit happens).

At one point, over this "I don't believe in only that which I can see" thing I told him that at least, the starting point should be skepticism, and move on from there as we see it to be truth or bullshit. I gave him one example, what if I tell you there's an undetectable invisible penguin right by my side dancing to russian hardbass?

He didn't directly answer, he just said we lack the tools to verify it, the same way we can't see electromagnetic waves except through a device/tool, and he applies this to everything we can't prove yet.

I don't know at which point I told him that if we're going talk about creation, his God must have a creator too. He then proceeded to say that this ultimate creator is God and he claimed that I just accepted the fact that there must be an intelligent creator based on what I told him. I don't think I said so.

So... what do you think of all of this? Might drop him a few of yours next time I see him.

Continue fighting the good fight! The teacher is afflicted with woo, don't get too close.

And endless regression is, well, endless. There cannot be an ultimate creator if everything has to be created. The guy is a poopy-head.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Sorry you have to sit through those classes.

You gotta love these supposed Mary sightings. Rolleyes

In the first place, if there was any truth in them, then it would mean Mary wants to communicate with us. But then wouldn't she communicate to everyone; or at least everyone directly involved? Why is it always just a few and usually children that everyone else has to believe? Consider

Second (from the OP Wikipedia link),
Quote:The teenage visionaries reported that the Virgin Mary asked everyone to pray to prevent a terrible war. In the vision of Aug. 19, 1982, they all reported seeing violence, dismembered corpses and destruction.
Such lovely visions. Why communicate this at all? She's supposedly God's mother. Can't she just tell sonny boy Jebus to stop the "terrible war"? And she wants us to pray? So she too is ok with trying to change gawd's will on the matter? She should know full well that praying is useless. So she is asking us to do nothing then. So why appear to us at all when we were already doing nothing? Yeah, makes perfect sense. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.