Clean Genes, Incest and the Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Clean Genes, Incest and the Old Testament
We are all aware that Incest runs rampant in the Old Testament.

In my previous life as a Christian and after my deconversion I have heard it said about how “Pure” the people were (I guess cleaner Gene’s and squeaky clean DNA?) that the incest was not a problem.
This line of reasoning is also used to explain how many of them lived beyond 100 years old.

Basically they were not copies of copies of copies..but the first few generations of gods creation.

Recently I have taken on the task of rereading the bible. Really absorbing it and seeing what is going on without my God Goggles.

It seems that 1 out of every 3 women are ‘barren’ and can’t have children. I am not even thru the 30th chapter of Genesis yet. These gals are so barren that they are having their hubby’s fornicate with their handmaidens to have offspring (love those morals!).

This seemingly flies in the face of Clean Genes and Turbo DNA, don’t you think?

Even if some of them are later ‘blessed by god’ and have kids after they are barren….it still does not show us how the gene pool was far superior then, opposed to now.

Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
RE: Clean Genes, Incest and the Old Testament
Yeah, D, I had the same propaganda forced upon me. My reaction at an early age was to stop asking uncomfortable questions. Didn't get that ability to question back until a long time later.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:...incest was not a problem.

For the first few generations there was no choice but incest. Come to think of it, since we all have a common ancestor (evolution, not fairy tales), it's all incest.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was incest.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I think it just piles on to the evidence that the book was written by bronze age tribesmen, since that may well have been an issue in their community. No way to be sure if it was actually a problem though, since it may be a hot topic because women were supposed to be baby making machines, what good is a broken baby maker?

Better without God, and happier too.
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
The stories are lifted out of a far larger pool of legend and mythology. They were never meant to be scientifically accurate - nor even accurate to the biology the tellers were familiar with. They're not about concrete fact; they're about tribal identity. Almost every people's origin story begins with one couple, maybe even a brother and sister - and ignores the existence of other tribes, with whom they - naturally! - traded, intermarried and border-raided. The editors of Genesis slipped up a couple of times and failed to erase reference to a wife (Cain's, for example) who is unaccounted for in the genealogy.
The barranness problem comes in much later, and i wouldn't be surprised if it were a memory of famine times. If you put these stories in a geographic and historical setting, on a more realistic time-line than religion allows, they make a lot more sense.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Clean genes actually makes a sort of fairy tale hypothetical sense. The expression of two recessive genes which are much more likely to be present in close relations is why incest is "bad". I think we have a certain evolutionary mechanism to not be attracted to our close kin because those who were attracted suffered much more from these double bad alleles.

All sex if viewed in the absolute sense is sex between relatives (using reality based evolution or unicorn based creationism) is inbreeding, but the percentage chance of having two recessive genes being expressed drops quickly after the immediate family to a fairly insignificant number.

At least, that is my understanding.
07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Of course, bad recessives might also be bred out in a very few generations. In a restricted gene pool, such as remote mountain or island settlements, the strains may actually be stronger and 'cleaner' than in the general population, because inherited disorders like hemophilia in humans or SCID in dogs, would naturally kill off the affected offspring at a young age, and carriers would be identified early in their reproductive career and probably shunned.
But this has no bearing on biblical peoples, who interacted freely and frequently.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.