Clean drinking water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 04:46 PM by BrokenQuill92.)
Clean drinking water
Is there a way for scientists to use ice from space for clean drinking water?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Clean drinking water
[Image: einstein-wtf-smiley-emoticon.png]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
21-02-2014, 04:45 PM
?????
21-02-2014, 04:50 PM
(21-02-2014 04:28 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Is there a way for us to use ice from space for clean drinking water?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
21-02-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm not seeing where researching this would be a problem. Not only would it put a lot less strain on an environment we're already over taxing but it would boost funding for space exploration. But it's just an idea.
21-02-2014, 05:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost%E2%80%...t_analysis

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-02-2014, 07:06 PM
(21-02-2014 04:28 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Is there a way for scientists to use ice from space for clean drinking water?

1. Not all ice is made from WATER. There are various unhealthy liquids and gases that condense into ice.
2. Actual ice that can be melted into water would more likely be highly salty and acidic, essentially being poison. As is claimed the water on Mars would be.

So if interplanetary travellers needed water, any old ice just wouldn't do.

3. The costs of going to a body of decent ice that can be mined, and melted into healthy water would be too great, compared to the alternatives here on earth (also perhaps you could ship it to space colonies a few times, then it can then be recycled and reused for many many years).
21-02-2014, 07:09 PM
(21-02-2014 07:06 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 04:28 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Is there a way for scientists to use ice from space for clean drinking water?

1. Not all ice is made from WATER. There are various unhealthy liquids and gases that condense into ice.
2. Actual ice that can be melted into water would more likely be highly salty and acidic, essentially being poison. As is claimed the water on Mars would be.

3. The costs of going to a body of decent ice that can be mined, and melted into healthy water would be too great, compared to the alternatives here on earth (also perhaps you could ship it to space colonies a few times, then it can then be recycled and reused for many many years).

I know this I just thought it might be worth the risk to give the earth a break
21-02-2014, 07:24 PM
(21-02-2014 07:09 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 07:06 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  1. Not all ice is made from WATER. There are various unhealthy liquids and gases that condense into ice.

I know this I just thought it might be worth the risk to give the earth a break

No Desalination is a much more realistic idea. It is doable right now and would have the benefit of becoming cheaper the more it is utilized.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-02-2014, 07:36 PM
That does make a lot more sense I just thought I'd kill two birds with one stone since the American space program is pretty much dead at the moment