Cleopatra

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Cleopatra
You know the old one starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rex Harrison and Richard Burton....

It's in my Netflix queue forever and now I see that it's only available until October 31.

The reason I've never watched it...

It's over four hours long! Weeping

Is it possibly worth the effort?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Cleopatra
(21-10-2013 07:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You know the old one starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rex Harrison and Richard Burton....

It's in my Netflix queue forever and now I see that it's only available until October 31.

Yes, it is one of the greatest Old Hollywood movies of all time. It is one of my top 5 all time movies.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-10-2013, 07:15 PM
(21-10-2013 07:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You know the old one starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rex Harrison and Richard Burton....

I love it. Not because it's "historical", (there are a few accurate references), but mostly I saw it not really so much about Cleo, but, just as Gone With The Wind is more a cultural statement about the late 30's and early 40's US culture, than it was about the actual Civil War, it is the same thing with Cleo and late 50's early-mid 60's US culture. It's pretty interesting to see the things that have obviously changed so much. I don't know if I could say it's really worth 4 hours tho. Just run it, while you're doing something else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-10-2013, 07:18 PM
(21-10-2013 07:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Yes, it is one of the greatest Old Hollywood movies of all time. It is one of my top 5 all time movies.

Shit Revs I was afraid you'd say that.

Ok....bleh.

I do like Rex Harrison.

21-10-2013, 07:19 PM
(21-10-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I love it. Not because it's "historical", (there are a few accurate references), but mostly I saw it not really so much about Cleo, but, just as Gone With The Wind is more a cultural statement about the late 30's and early 40's US culture, than it was about the actual Civil War, it is the same thing with Cleo and late 50's early-mid 60's US culture. It's pretty interesting to see the things that have obviously changed so much. I don't know if I could say it's really worth 4 hours tho. Just run it, while you're doing something else.

I'm cooking dinner so that works for me!

21-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Yes. And no.

It's about the most bombastic film made in the glory days of Hollywood bombast (adjusted for inflation it's still pretty much the most expensive production ever). So there's that. It's much more historically accurate than you'd think, so there's that too (but that does make the errors stand out that much more to those in the know).

It's pretty easy to break up, if you're so inclined. I watched it over two nights; Caesar's assassination makes a good intermission.

Yes, worth watching, but yeah, you've gotta have some time set aside Tongue .

... this is my signature!
21-10-2013, 07:44 PM
(21-10-2013 07:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Yes. And no.

It's about the most bombastic film made in the glory days of Hollywood bombast (adjusted for inflation it's still pretty much the most expensive production ever). So there's that. It's much more historically accurate than you'd think, so there's that too (but that does make the errors stand out that much more to those in the know).

It's pretty easy to break up, if you're so inclined. I watched it over two nights; Caesar's assassination makes a good intermission.

Yes, worth watching, but yeah, you've gotta have some time set aside Tongue .

It's actually pretty good so far. Damn it.

21-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Now you guys got me wanting to watch it, dang!
21-10-2013, 08:39 PM
(21-10-2013 07:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Now you guys got me wanting to watch it, dang!

I'm totally shocked I'm enjoying it. Thumbsup

21-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Ok that does it.... Adding to my DVD queue (yes I still use the Netflix DVD service!) my list of 250+ just keeps growing