Clergy....priests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Clergy....priests
Wtf do priests do all frikin' day besides saying mass??? They seem to have a whole lot of free time on their hands and yet they even take a day off during the week....wtf??? Im sure that they are not praying all day either. Amd they even get a salary......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Clergy....priests
Arrange flowers in vases, polish the brass fitments, reload the candles and fire up their thuribles, Mr Sheen the pews, dust down the confessional screen, lay out the prayer books, fluff up the kneeling cushions, Windex the stained glass, refill the holy water from the kitchen tap, etc etc etc. Just so much to do! All those things that are absolutely necessary for the smooth and equitable running of our society, and of the entire planet.

—And you have to ask! Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-10-2016, 12:53 PM
(05-10-2016 12:40 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Arrange flowers in vases, polish the brass fitments, reload the candles and fire up their thuribles, Mr Sheen the pews, dust down the confessional screen, lay out the prayer books, fluff up the kneeling cushions, Windex the stained glass, refill the holy water from the kitchen tap, etc etc etc. Just so much to do! All those things that are absolutely necessary for the smooth and equitable running of our society, and of the entire planet.

—And you have to ask! Big Grin
Actually, they have "women's auxilliary" or nuns to do that.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
05-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Also, baptism, anointing the dead/dying, confession, counseling of couples (interestingly enough, we had to take a group session with all the other soon-to-be-wed people), and most of the work was done by lay people, rosaries for dead people, and funeral masses.

I could see marital counseling, but you just know that the jeebs is going to be jammed in there somewhere.
05-10-2016, 01:01 PM
You forgot about the fiddling. They fiddle.

A lot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Well off the top of my head:
Daily Mass
Baptisms
Weddings
Funerals
Hospital visits
Home visits
Anointing of the Sick
Marriage counseling (and premarital counseling sessions)
Personal counseling
Confessions
Reviewing the parish finances
Financial matters (one back home was in charge of a 1000 family parish, three schools, 2 cemeteries, and a few other things, in addition to other duties within the diocese; he had to keep all of them financially afloat and raise funds for renovations and such).
Might be assigned to multiple parishes at the same time to do all of the above duties.
Diocesan duties assigned by the Bishop, like being the Vocations Director for a diocese

And the average salary varies by the region, so while the housing is taken care of, in my home state at least, the salary is between 21k to 28k, and the Bishop expects you to pay for your own insurance, medical bills, travel in the course of your duties, etc.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-10-2016, 05:09 PM
I can't think of a more useless profession. Imagine if religion suddenly didn't exist. What would they do? Especially the old bastards that have been doing it since they were young.
05-10-2016, 09:40 PM
From what I have observed, they drink a lot of Scotch. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2016, 10:53 PM
And buttfuck a lot of altar boys.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
06-10-2016, 06:43 AM
(05-10-2016 09:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  From what I have observed, they drink a lot of Scotch. Drinking Beverage

Can't blame them for that. Scotch is a lot better than that sacramental wine crap they drink during mass.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí