Climate Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Climate Change
So, since this is an atheist forum, I assume we all believe in man-made climate change?

Of course, if it is backed by science, we don't have to believe, we "know."

However, I haven't been able to determine whether or not those who say that there is scientific evidence against climate change are actually being honest (or whether their position is valid).

Do any of you have alternative ideas about climate change? Where's the science that points to the fact that it isn't happening (and it isn't man-made)?
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
RE: Climate Change
Yes, I not deluding myself into believing that global warming is fake/natural. The people who deny that GW exists at all usually say that temperatures on average only raised by one degree, which I believe is true. They sadly neglect to read further on to read that the heaviest effects are in the poles, which is really screwing around with our oceans, or that rate that the earth is not linear, but rather more parabolic.

As for people who say that it's natural, I've heard some say that the earth is constantly changing average temperatures, how do we know this isn't natural and just part of a cycle? Other comment that most CO2 emissions come from volcanoes(which is completely false).

As far as I can tell, global warming is real, and we are the cause.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 12:50 PM
(06-09-2010 12:33 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  As far as I can tell, global warming is real, and we are the cause.

I think a part of it is Earths cycle of climates, I'm not any kind of expert on this and I won't pretend to be, but I've read before the Earth tends to go through stages (ex: todays temperature > chilly > cold > snow ball Earth)
take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
A few weeks later there was a TV-documentary about the climate change and I hated how they misused the word ''sceptic''. In todays world, I dont think anybody's a philosofical sceptic and with the word 'sceptic', people usually mean a scientifical sceptic. So anyone who denies the climate change isnt a scientifical sceptic, and as we're usually called just sceptics (not scientifical sceptics), the documentary gave a very bad image about sceptisism.

Ok, lets speculate that climate change isnt real. Even if its not real, its not justified to trash. Quoting my mother: ''All shit ultimately goes somewhere''. We got other problems too (for example: sanitation problems, like introducing 3rd world countries to water toilets and not using the phosphores of our shit and urine), the climate change is not the only one.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
When someone who is not working for the oil industry or affiliated with an ultra religious group comes out a with a real contrary position to man made Global Warming I promise I'll give that opinion due regard. However, that has yet to be the case.

I think the problem climate science has is that the models are not exact. Scientists put things out as probable and other scientists will look at the same evidence and reach a different conclusion about the data. Deniers use this difference of opinion to call the whole thing into question and harp on the differences in the predictions. However, to my understanding there is no credible scientific disagreement as to what is happening with the environment. The differences lie in what it all means long term and what we should do about it.

I have no idea what is really fact vs. fiction in this debate in terms of the solutions. However, what I resent is the overwhelming intellectual dishonesty from people who have a profit motive in this debate. The religious freaks are a whole different story, but at least they aren't in it for the money.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
(06-09-2010 12:24 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  So, since this is an atheist forum, I assume we all believe in man-made climate change?

Of course, if it is backed by science, we don't have to believe, we "know."

However, I haven't been able to determine whether or not those who say that there is scientific evidence against climate change are actually being honest (or whether their position is valid).

Do any of you have alternative ideas about climate change? Where's the science that points to the fact that it isn't happening (and it isn't man-made)?

Global warming would go on even if there was no humans on this planet. the only thing we do is speed it up. (ALOT!). and there is alot of proof of that, we speed it up, for example u can messure the the carbon dioxide values in the ice in Antarctica, in diffrent layers of the ice. in that way u can determine how we change it. and thats just hard facts. think of it as a glasshouseSmile and if u dont know how a glasshouse works then you realy need to go back to school. and yeah i do have a alternativ idea for the climate change. Its global warming. and the climate do always change, every day but if we continue do things like make the planet hotter do you realy think that nothing will happen?
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh! I actually was watching a series on this the other day! Here's a link to the series, if anyone's interested (it's by Potholer54):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KLGqDSAjo

Quote:Global warming would go on even if there was no humans on this planet. the only thing we do is speed it up. (ALOT!).

This is a good summation of it for me! ^^

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
what I really don't understand is why religious and conservative types disavow humanity's contribution to global warming?
06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Religious groups disavow it because a) the science requires the concession that the Earth is >10,000 years old and b) because it implies that humans can influence what God created and God controls.

Conservatives disavow it because of the potential economic impacts to all the proposed solutions.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-09-2010, 03:01 AM

It's a little unclear to me just how this topic is something to discuss on an atheist's forum, but ...

On the topic of global climate change, there is simply no meangful scientific debate over the topic of human impacts on climate change. On virtually any topic in science, you always can find people who disagree with the consensus - that's a normal part of the way real science works. Science is not like religion - we don't dispense absolute truth. All scientific ideas are nothing more than proposed explanations for the way things work and are generally consistent with the data that we've collected so far. We don't deal with absolutes and we make no claim to being absolutely correct about everything.

That said, within the atmospheric science community, there's only a small group of folks who disagree with this, so if there's any point of view that runs contrary to that produced in the IPCC reports, it's not generally within the realm of consensus science. Is consensus science always right? No. But the people disputing its findings are almost totally outside of the science, and those skeptics within the science clearly are on its margins.
Quote this message in a reply