Climate Change - 30 Nobel Laureates Warn Us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Climate Change - 30 Nobel Laureates Warn Us
http://responsiblescientists.org/

On September 20, 2016, 377 members of the National Academy of Sciences, including 30 Nobel laureates, published an open letter to draw attention to the serious risks of climate change. The letter warns that the consequences of opting out of the Paris agreement would be severe and long-lasting for our planet’s climate and for the international credibility of the United States.

A full list of signers follows the text of the letter.

An Open Letter Regarding Climate Change From
Concerned Members of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences

Human-caused climate change is not a belief, a hoax, or a conspiracy. It is a physical reality. Fossil fuels powered the Industrial Revolution. But the burning of oil, coal, and gas also caused most of the historical increase in atmospheric levels of heat-trapping greenhouse gases. This increase in greenhouse gases is changing Earth’s climate.

----

I have wanted to see such a list of Nobel laureates supporting action on climate change for some time now. And here it is.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
19-04-2017, 10:26 PM
RE: Climate Change - 30 Nobel Laureates Warn Us
I understand what they are saying.

Humans are causing some change in the climate.

But how much of the climate change are we causing?

Since climate changes occur repeatedly on our earth, how much can changes in our behavior alter the changes that are occuring?
19-04-2017, 11:41 PM
(19-04-2017 10:26 PM)psybj Wrote:  I understand what they are saying.

Since climate changes occur repeatedly on our earth, how much can changes in our behavior alter the changes that are occuring?

The consensus among climate scientists is almost all change is coming from high carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere. And most of that is from man made causes, directly or indirectly.

https://skepticalscience.com/global-warm...ediate.htm

Authors of seven climate consensus studies — including Naomi Oreskes, Peter Doran, William Anderegg, Bart Verheggen, Ed Maibach, J. Stuart Carlton, and John Cook — co-authored a paper that should settle the expert climate consensus question once and for all. The two key conclusions from the paper are:

1) Depending on exactly how you measure the expert consensus, it’s somewhere between 90% and 100% that agree humans are responsible for climate change, with most of our studies finding 97% consensus among publishing climate scientists.

2) The greater the climate expertise among those surveyed, the higher the consensus on human-caused global warming.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
20-04-2017, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2017 07:45 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(19-04-2017 10:26 PM)psybj Wrote:  But how much of the climate change are we causing?

There are only so many different factors which can change the climate naturally. They include massive volcanic eruptions, asteroid strikes, changes in solar output, changes in the Earth's position relative to the Sun as well as its angle of inclination, changes in CO2 levels in the atmosphere caused by plant growth, and even the positions of the continents if you go back far enough. Except for changes from deforestation, which are also caused by humans, all of these other possibilities have been eliminated from the present picture.

Humans burning fossil fuels cause the CO2 buildup scientists have measured in the atmosphere, as they can tell from the isotope of the carbon. The fact that the present climate change is happening so quickly compared to natural cycles (excluding catastrophies) also indicates it is human-caused.

We still have time to change our behaviors to slow climate change, but time is quickly running out. Once we trigger several positive feedback loops, we will likely find that climate change can no longer be so easily controlled. Such positive feedback loops include the melting of the Artic icecap decreasing the albedo, or reflected light, and the thawing of permafrost releasing large amounts of previously frozen methane.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
20-04-2017, 03:28 PM
(19-04-2017 10:26 PM)psybj Wrote:  I understand what they are saying.

Annual anthropogenic CO2 emissions are on the same order of magnitude as a supervolcano eruption. If you can think of a way that we can crack off a Toba or Yellowstone worth of CO2 every year without profond consequences I'd be fascinated to hear it.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
20-04-2017, 05:37 PM
http://climatecommunication.yale.edu...god-end-times/

An interesting study of the linkage between climate skepticism and religion.

For a significant number of Americans, the reality, causes and meaning of global warming are seen through the lens of their religious beliefs. Some reject the evidence that humans are causing global warming because they believe God controls the climate. Others believe that global warming is evidence that the world will be ending soon, and that we don’t need to worry about global warming in light of the approaching apocalypse. To assess the level of acceptance of these beliefs among Americans, we surveyed a nationally representative sample of 1,204 American adults in March, 2016.

One of the hindrances to competent political action on the Climate problem is the political influence of religious believers and the politicians who cater to them. The real problems will hit us 50 years out from now if we blow this. Which so far the US congress insists on blowing it.

The problem for Christians is, if that happens, they will take a big share of the blame by enabling incompetent political policies.

And the fallout from that will make the Galileo affair look like a a very minor embarrassment by comparison. Christianity might not survive it.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
20-04-2017, 05:51 PM
(20-04-2017 05:37 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The problem for Christians is, if that happens, they will take a big share of the blame by enabling incompetent political policies.

And the fallout from that will make the Galileo affair look like a a very minor embarrassment by comparison. Christianity might not survive it.

Thankfully the Pope at least has taken a reasonable stance on climate change.

Thumbsup
20-04-2017, 06:17 PM
So...

I guess i am a horrible pessimist, but I feel like we are at the point of no return-
add in the ignorant fucking assholes who deny this is even happening (and the money whores who profit off of fossil fuels/raping the planet) and I think we're pretty much fucked. Not even just talking about the US here. China is a huge polluter and I definitely think they fudge numbers and aren't truthful about environmental issues.

I honestly don't see a way out of this unless the powers that be (and the rest of the world) is 100% committed to doing something BIG and doing it NOW.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
20-04-2017, 08:08 PM
No matter what happens, it could always be worse. We would like a relatively less terrible scenario.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
20-04-2017, 08:55 PM
(20-04-2017 05:37 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  http://climatecommunication.yale.edu...god-end-times/

An interesting study of the linkage between climate skepticism and religion.

For a significant number of Americans, the reality, causes and meaning of global warming are seen through the lens of their religious beliefs. Some reject the evidence that humans are causing global warming because they believe God controls the climate. Others believe that global warming is evidence that the world will be ending soon, and that we don’t need to worry about global warming in light of the approaching apocalypse. To assess the level of acceptance of these beliefs among Americans, we surveyed a nationally representative sample of 1,204 American adults in March, 2016.

One of the hindrances to competent political action on the Climate problem is the political influence of religious believers and the politicians who cater to them. The real problems will hit us 50 years out from now if we blow this. Which so far the US congress insists on blowing it.

The problem for Christians is, if that happens, they will take a big share of the blame by enabling incompetent political policies.

And deniers always go on about the cost. The cost to them personally, not the cost to the planet. Pretty clear where their priorities lie. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post