Climate Change - 30 Nobel Laureates Warn Us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2017, 10:25 PM
RE: Climate Change - 30 Nobel Laureates Warn Us
(20-04-2017 08:55 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And deniers always go on about the cost. The cost to them personally, not the cost to the planet. Pretty clear where their priorities lie. Facepalm

What do you figure the cost of relocating the world's coastal cities is going to run?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2017, 06:28 PM
(19-04-2017 09:33 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  On September 20, 2016, 377 members of the National Academy of Sciences, including 30 Nobel laureates, published an open letter to draw attention to the serious risks of climate change.

I'm always skeptical of people/organisations that publish multi-signature letters to support the pros or cons of some notion. Put in another context, the cited figure means that around 1,900 members did not sign the letter. Why not?

And the bit about Nobel Laureates is nothing more than a fallacious appeal to authority. I can name several Laureates who had absurd viewpoints on stuff often outside their area of expertise...

• Physicist Brian Josephson - believes in the supernatural and telepathy.
• Physicist William Shockley - believed that black people have inferior "intelligence genes".
• Chemist Fritz Haber - known as "the father of chemical warfare".
• Physicist Ivar Giaever - denies that climate change is caused by man.
• Chemist Kary Mullis - believes that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, but gay sex does.
• Surgeon Alexis Carrel - who believed in mysticism, telepathy, and clairvoyance.
• Virologist Luc Montagnier - claims that DNA produces electromagnetic signals, measurable when highly diluted in water, in a manner similar to homeopathy.
• Molecular biologist James Watson - asserts that there are biochemical links between sexual libido and skin colour, and body weight and ambition.
• Biologist Wangari Maathai - believed that AIDS was the deliberate creation of Western scientists to control the African population.
• Physicist Phillipp Lenard - as a Nazi, believed that Germans were intellectually superior to the Jews.

Personally, I fully accept the tenets of global warming/climate change, but I'm yet to be convinced that anthropogenic contributions are solely responsible.

My viewpoint is also somewhat skewed because of the massive corporatists profit to be made—in 2014 it was worth US$329 billion to the renewable/sustainable energy industries. Not a bad earner. And compare this with the Microsoft figure for 2014, at US$22 billion for example.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-04-2017, 06:33 PM
(21-04-2017 06:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  My viewpoint is also somewhat skewed because of the massive corporatists profit to be made—in 2014 it was worth US$329 billion to the renewable/sustainable energy industries. Not a bad earner. And compare this with the Microsoft figure for 2014, at US$22 billion for example.

The point of tackling climate change as soon as possible is to save us from having to spend much more money later, when the problems become more intractable. Even if you are skeptical, think of being proactive as an insurance policy against probable catastrophic losses in the future.