Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 01:22 AM by Kaneda.)
Climate Change - General Discussion
Lately I've been thinking that, given the amount of interest Anthropogenic Climate Change attracts on this forum, it might be time to give this subject its own dedicated thread. The issue has inspired passionate discussion in the corners of Science and Politics, but is too often brought up in the context of butting-heads with deniers, or simply hits a dead-end before it conversation can build some real momentum.

I brought it up with the admins and talked to a few people who'd be down to see a thread for General Discussion on the subject. I'm aiming for this to be a thread where people can post general observations, talk climate science and future projections, and discuss what thy're doing in the way of activism*. There are a lot of prolific writers here and, if you read this far, you are probably one of them and have some interesting perspective to give. I'd like things to stay engaging and informative; please be civil.

Do not call other users trolls, morons, children, or anything else clever you may think of. Personal attacks, whether explicit or implicit, are not permitted.

In general, don't be a jerk. Don't bait people, don't use hate speech, etc. Attack ideas, not users.

That's all I have to say. Hopefully there is enough public interest for the thread to sustain itself. I look forward to seeing what directions this subject takes.

*To be clear, activism might mean anything from being a good steward of the Earth's resources, to lobbying your representatives, to prepping and adapting to the myriad challenges coming forth in this century. Every bit counts.

Edit: I'm aware we're already 'locked in' for a large amount of damage that is mostly outside our control, and it would probably be good to approach the thread with that in mind. Nonetheless, being a good steward of your environment has psychological benefits and I'd highly encourage it anyway. No need to make the problem worse.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Kaneda's post
14-03-2017, 01:06 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(14-03-2017 12:55 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  I'd like things to stay engaging and informative; please be civil.
That's... erm. Well, let's see what happens...

So climate change eh? That thing that is happening. I'm interested in a couple of things:
  • What level of sea level rise can we expect in the next 50 years?
  • Is there *anything* that we can do? I mean activism is all very well but if we're totally fucked anyway then holding a march waving placards doesn't seem very useful to me.

I'll go google these things at some point myself... but right now I'm lazy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-03-2017, 05:32 AM
Our coral reefs are pretty certain to die. We'll see ice free Artic summers in the next ten years or so with ice free winters following perhaps thirty years later. We'll see continuing ocean acidification and disruption to marine and other ecosystems. We'll see continuing rising seas. Most of the worst effects are around a hundred years away, but the effects are already clear.

Our efforts to reduce carbon emissions have a one to two hundred year lag. That's the window of irreversible change ahead of us. After then it will come down to what tipping points we hit along the way. We may hit a runaway point that puts the climate into a new equilibrium that we can't tip back. Every year we fail to act adds a year to the window of irreversible change.

Our species will probably survive, and may thrive through this period. Every ton of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere adds risk to that thriving. The economic impact of inaction is huge and easily outweighs the cost of action.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
14-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Change is the most natural thing in the universe. Stasis is the least.

Guess which condition most people hate??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-03-2017, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 11:35 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-03-2017 01:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  So climate change eh? That thing that is happening. I'm interested in a couple of things: What level of sea level rise can we expect in the next 50 years? Is there anything that we can do?

The conservative estimate is that oceans will rise 3 feet by the end of the century, but scientists can't rule out 5 to 6 feet. A part of that uncertainty is because we don't yet know how well humanity will react to the challenges. If we do well we will see fewer problems, if we do poorly we will see more problems. Scientists have built climate change models with the best information available to estimate and assess those different scenarios. So yes, there's plenty we can do.

The first thing Americans need to do is don't vote for Trump for president. He will try to dismantle all the progress of the Obama administration. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-03-2017, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 11:21 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-03-2017 06:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Change is the most natural thing in the universe. Stasis is the least.

The problem isn't change per se. The problem is that the rate of change is so accelerated that humanity will be challenged to adapt without major dislocations and millions of deaths. Many species won't be able to adapt at all, so anthropogenic climate change is likely leading to another great extinction event.

Scientific American: “The rate of CO2 growth over the last decade is 100 to 200 times faster than what the Earth experienced during the transition from the last ice age.”
14-03-2017, 09:23 AM
(14-03-2017 05:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The economic impact of inaction is huge and easily outweighs the cost of action.

Plus the costs will continue to rise, and will be harder to pay, the longer we put off acting.
14-03-2017, 12:03 PM
(14-03-2017 09:19 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Change is the most natural thing in the universe. Stasis is the least.

The problem isn't change per se. The problem is that the rate of change is so accelerated that humanity will be challenged to adapt without major dislocations and millions of deaths. Many species won't be able to adapt at all, so anthropogenic climate change is likely leading to another great extinction event.

Scientific American: “The rate of CO2 growth over the last decade is 100 to 200 times faster than what the Earth experienced during the transition from the last ice age.”

Considering the state of overpopulation- the death of billions is more likely.

Then humans will have less impact.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do, unless some eco-terrorists do what we wish we could do.

And that would be to destroy coal burning electric plants, large industrial companies who pollute large amounts of green house gases and lastly, reduce the world population by at least half through nuclear war.

Baring all of that, the temps are going to keep rising each year. People, plants & animals won't be able to handle 50 C, 70 C, 100 C (boiling point of water)

Enjoy your lives, invest in companies that build underground and move near a hydroelectric dam for your electric needs.

Montreal is ideal.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
14-03-2017, 02:21 PM
(14-03-2017 12:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Considering the state of overpopulation- the death of billions is more likely.

Then humans will have less impact.

Actually I agree that over-population is one of the most important but least discussed aspects of the climate change problem. In fact one could argue there would be no climate change problem without it -- certainly not in the short run.

Further, the Club of Rome predicted back in the early 1970s, in its Limits to Growth report, that humanity would overrun the carrying capacity of the planet and degrade the environment as a result of future population growth. It would seem that climate change and its impacts are the way that will happen.