Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 07:49 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed To Reverse Global Warming, analyzes the details of what it might actually take not only to stop global warming, but potentially begin to reverse it. To create it, a team of researchers spent two years examining data on the 100 most substantive ways to reduce or sequester emissions, and doing the math on how much those solutions could achieve over the next three decades."

https://www.fastcompany.com/3068250/worl...ign=buffer

Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2017, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 07:56 PM by Kaneda.)
(19-03-2017 07:36 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  "Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed To Reverse Global Warming, analyzes the details of what it might actually take not only to stop global warming, but potentially begin to reverse it. To create it, a team of researchers spent two years examining data on the 100 most substantive ways to reduce or sequester emissions, and doing the math on how much those solutions could achieve over the next three decades."

https://www.fastcompany.com/3068250/worl...ign=buffer

Smile

Just wanted to say I appreciate your pioneering spirit. Still not having kids until I see it for myself Drinking Beverage.

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
19-03-2017, 08:02 PM
(19-03-2017 07:52 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Still not having kids until I see it for myself Drinking Beverage.

My wife and I never had kids. Neither did her two nieces and several of their friends, primarily for economic reasons. We have a little social group of childless people, and no one talks about our lack of children. We just don't think about it typically.

Sleepy
20-03-2017, 08:31 AM
"The International Energy Agency announced Friday that the global energy sector produced 32.1 billion metric tons of CO2 in 2016, about the same as in 2015 and 2014, even while the world economy grew by more than 3 percent. That line stayed flat because of growth in renewable energy and the switch from coal to natural gas in many parts of the world, as well as increases in energy efficiency."

http://grist.org/briefly/good-news-about...ign=buffer
20-03-2017, 11:56 AM
"Conservative green groups such as ConservAmerica and republicEn, along with politically neutral religious groups such as Catholic Climate Covenant and bipartisan groups such as the Citizens Climate Lobby, have ramped up efforts to recruit more congressional Republicans to work on addressing climate change since Trump's election. ... Jose Aguto, associate director of the Catholic Climate Covenant, said Republicans are the only major political party in the world not convinced by climate change. 'Once they accept the reality and science of climate change, we will have reached a tipping point in the political will for solutions.' "

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...GYSUS_NEWS
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
21-03-2017, 06:46 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39329304
21-03-2017, 07:54 AM
[Image: 6eljgXf.jpg]

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/table...s+dSST.csv

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
21-03-2017, 08:19 AM
I had started to pull data from weather stations in CT a few weeks ago, but never got to fully process the data. What I had found however was that thus far each month in 2017 has been among the hottest since the mid-80's. It is amazing how warm and wet it has been, even considering that it is a La Niña (a weak one) year and that they are typically wetter. Comparing to other La Niña years, this has still been abnormally warm and wet. It is quite frightening in many ways just how quickly the rate of change has been as of late.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Something I'm confused about slightly: people keep making a fuss about being one degree Celsius warmer? I mean, I know that's on average, so some areas are probably ridiculously hotter than normal and some maybe a bit colder. And for the whole world to be one degree warmer probably takes a fuck-ton of energy... But it does seem strange to me that what I would think would be a small change has such a huge effect.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-03-2017, 08:36 AM
For one thing you have to consider how much ice there is to melt. That's a lot of surface area suddenly exposed to the melting point. And it's not just sea levels. Drinking water that is historically stored in Himalayan glaciers is melting off prematurely turning into dysentery infected flood waters. Then think about how much of the earth is flammable. That one degree figuratively breaks the camel's back and literally sparks the flame on forest fires that become huge. Water temperatures warm causing hurricanes to form where previously they would have been much smaller storms. The melted ice and the other temperature changes disrupt ocean currents and destroys ecosystems that we've become dependent on.

You can YouTube a video called six degrees something that explains what's going on.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post