Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2017, 05:52 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Major TV networks spent just 50 minutes on climate change — combined — last year. That’s a dramatic, 66-percent drop in coverage from 2015 across evening and Sunday news programs airing on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, according to a new study from Media Matters. ABC, for one, spent just six minutes on climate issues in 2016. The networks can’t claim there was a shortage of important climate stories to cover. Hurricane Matthew, the Great Barrier Reef’s continued slow death, record-shattering heat, and the official beginning of the Paris climate deal all took place last year."

http://grist.org/briefly/major-tv-networ...ign=buffer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2017, 01:18 PM
"At the COP 21 climate convention in Paris at the end of 2015, leaders from 194 nations agreed to pursue actions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions enough to keep global warming within 1.5 °C (2.7 °F) above pre-industrial conditions. Meeting this goal will avoid continued and increasing harm to people and ecosystems around the world caused by a changing climate, and it is also a great opportunity to turn the world into a place that embodies our collective and pluralistic values for the future. Nevertheless, there remains a notable gap between current trajectories of global GHG emissions and the reductions necessary to see COP 21’s goals realized. Numerous technological and economic strategies for bridging that gap are currently being discussed, including transitions to renewable energy and/or nuclear power, carbon capture and storage, and cap and trade. However, many overlook the fundamental social issues that drive climate change: overconsumption, poverty, industrial agriculture and population growth. As such, even if these strategies succeed in mitigating CO2 emissions — renewable energies, for instance, seem to have achieved irreversible momentum — they leave unaddressed a second gap, a sustainability gap, in that they allow issues of ecological overshoot and social injustice to persist."

https://ensia.com/voices/climate-change-...ign=buffer
26-03-2017, 05:11 AM
"In its annual State of the Global Climate Report released Wednesday, the WMO [World Meteorological Organization] confirmed that 2016 was indeed the hottest year on record since record-keeping began in the late 19th century, with average surface temperatures about 2 degrees Fahrenheit above pre-industrial times. Sixteen of the seventeen hottest years on record have come in the 21st century."

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?opti...ival=18751
26-03-2017, 06:48 AM
http://dark-mountain.net/stories/books/b...st-vision/

please read this carefully before critiquing it

Quote:A mere 11,000 years ago, at the end of the last ice age, global temperatures jolted up 15°F. in under a decade[12] – a heatwave more severe than the wildest scenarios in circulation these days. Nor was this anything novel; the Earth’s long history is full of such events.

Since the beginning of the Pliocene epoch some ten million years ago, Earth’s climate has been in a phase of severe cooling, and for four-fifths or so of the time that life has existed on this planet global temperatures have been far warmer than the IPCC’s worst case scenarios imagine. When the Earth’s climate is normal, on this inhumanly broad scale, most of its land surface is covered by jungle, and ice caps and glaciers do not exist. A reversion to that normal temperature would obliterate our industrial civilisation with the inevitability of a boot descending on an eggshell, and could well push our species over the edge into extinction, but the usual adjustments would soon bring the biosphere into balance, as they have after the other climate changes of the planetary past. The fact that we will not be around to see this, if it comes to that, concerns no one but ourselves.

These ironies, furthermore, have direct practical implications. While anthropogenic global warming is a real and serious problem, its consequences are subject to natural limits that current thinking, fixated on images of human triumphalism, is poorly equipped to grasp. Meanwhile, another real and serious problem – the depletion of the nonrenewable energy resources that prop up today’s industrial economy and keep seven billion people alive – gets next to no attention, because it conflicts with those same triumphalist obsessions. It’s no exaggeration to say that the modern world might solve the global warming crisis and then collapse anyway, because it only dealt with those of its problems that proved congenial to its self-image.
26-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Personally I think we are fucked. It's too late.
It wouldn't be too late if we were able to change the entire system, like, right now. But that's not going to happen.
Even if there are individuals within governments and corporations that want to change things, which I'm sure there are, they will be out voted and the monster that is the system which permeates all of society, from big business down to the family who is blissfully ignorant about even there own personal recycling, will dominate.
The media are a disgrace, but once again the system will promote distraction and ignorance over reason and reality (as opposed to the scripted fiction of reality TV) at every opportunity.
I think change can happen, I just don't think it can happen quick enough.
[+] 1 user Likes sydarthur7's post
26-03-2017, 10:38 AM
NPR ran a bit the other day about how GCC is effecting some crops - like maple syrup.

I've been making syrup for over 20 years and I can tell you that the warming trend for winters here in Michigan has changed things.

My old record for most syrup produced 42 gallons got beat this year. I made 45 gallons so far.

The numbers are misleading.

I did 42 gallons tapping 90 taps over a 3 week period.

I've gotten 45 over a 7 week period, and using over 300 taps.

The sugar content - mainly a result of long deep freezes - just isn't what it used to be.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Saw the first part of a very interesting 3 part climate change documentary produced by the BBC (I think) today. All about how the 0.85 degrees Celsius estimated rise in global temperature since 1880 was calculated.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-03-2017, 02:15 AM
(26-03-2017 12:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Saw the first part of a very interesting 3 part climate change documentary produced by the BBC (I think) today. All about how the 0.85 degrees Celsius estimated rise in global temperature since 1880 was calculated.

As a child of the 40s I can absolutely confirm witnessing changes in Australia's climate in my lifetime. I don't need complex scientific modelling to convince me that global warming is a clear and present danger.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
27-03-2017, 02:22 AM
(27-03-2017 02:15 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 12:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Saw the first part of a very interesting 3 part climate change documentary produced by the BBC (I think) today. All about how the 0.85 degrees Celsius estimated rise in global temperature since 1880 was calculated.

As a child of the 40s I can absolutely confirm witnessing changes in Australia's climate in my lifetime. I don't need complex scientific modelling to convince me that global warming is a clear and present danger.

Hell, I can confirm climate change in *my* lifetime and I'm a lot younger. I mean, the argument is whether it's actual change or 30-40 year variation, which is why data is important. The documentary did a fantastic job of explaining how, with data from potentially unreliable sources dating back more than a century and a lot of maths, we can be reasonably sure that global average temperature has indeed gone up by 0.85 degrees (a rather precise seeming number, given how temperatures everywhere have huge local variations).

Also while the modelling may not be needed for the warning, it's useful for predicting likely outcomes and deciding on the best response.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-03-2017, 07:11 AM
If you are hosting a dinner party and someone begins smoking a cigar, you could ask him or her to step outside if they wanted to continue to smoke.

But we can't do that on earth.

Now imagine that same dinner party and more than half of your guests are smoking and there is no outside. There are no other rooms.
Can the few who are not smoking force the majority who are into stopping ?

Eventually everyone in the room will die.
It's just a matter of time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results