Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 09:34 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Unprecedented summer warmth and flooding, forest fires, drought and torrential rain — extreme weather events are occurring more and more often, but now an international team of climate scientists has found a connection between many extreme weather events and the impact climate change is having on the jet stream. 'We came as close as one can to demonstrating a direct link between climate change and a large family of extreme recent weather events,' said Michael Mann, distinguished professor of atmospheric science and director, Earth System Science Center, Penn State.'Short of actually identifying the events in the climate models.' "

http://news.psu.edu/story/458049/2017/03...jet-stream
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 09:46 AM
"To hit the Paris climate goals without geoengineering, the world has to do three broad (and incredibly ambitious) things:

"1) Global CO2 emissions from energy and industry have to fall in half each decade. That is, in the 2020s, the world cuts emissions in half. Then we do it again in the 2030s. Then we do it again in the 2040s. They dub this a 'carbon law.' Lead author Johan Rockström told me they were thinking of an analogy to Moore’s law for transistors; we’ll see why.

"2) Net emissions from land use — i.e., from agriculture and deforestation — have to fall steadily to zero by 2050. This would need to happen even as the world population grows and we’re feeding ever more people.

"3) Technologies to suck carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere have to start scaling up massively, until we’re artificially pulling 5 gigatons of CO2 per year out of the atmosphere by 2050 — nearly double what all the world’s trees and soils already do."

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environmen...ign=buffer
27-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Quote:Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt on Sunday blasted the Paris climate agreement, calling it a "bad deal."

"You know, what was wrong with Paris was not just that it was, you know, failed to be treated as a treaty, but China and India, the largest producers of CO2 internationally, got away scot-free," he said during an interview on ABC's "This Week."

"They didn't have to take steps until 2030. So we've penalized ourselves through lost jobs while China and India didn't take steps to address the issue internationally," he continued.

"So Paris was just a bad deal, in my estimation."

Sounds like we're backing out.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
27-03-2017, 11:22 AM
(27-03-2017 11:03 AM)ImFred Wrote:  [quote]Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt on Sunday blasted the Paris climate agreement, calling it a "bad deal."

"You know, what was wrong with Paris was not just that it was, you know, failed to be treated as a treaty, but China and India, the largest producers of CO2 internationally, got away scot-free," he said during an interview on ABC's "This Week."

Interestingly, the per capita production of CO2 is much higher in the United States than in India or China, so we have a lot more flexibility than people in those countries do.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci...f-co2.html
28-03-2017, 03:17 AM
"Dayton Power & Light, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation, said in an emailed statement that it planned to close the J.M. Stuart and Killen plants by June 2018 because they would not be 'economically viable beyond mid-2018.' Coal demand has flagged in recent years due to competition from cheap and plentiful natural gas."

Reuters article "Two Ohio coal-fired plants to close, deepening industry decline" by Emily Flitter
28-03-2017, 01:03 PM
"On the climate front, many of the reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and cleaner energy innovations have resulted from state initiatives, although some states — like Oklahoma, where Mr. Pruitt is from — resist. Federal law and constitutional norms make federal pre-emption of such state-level leadership illegal under most laws and highly unlikely under any future laws. Even when federal progress falters, states can do more. Climate denialists in charge of the executive branch cannot halt energy and technological transformations already underway, especially when those are a result of state policies and are linked to private innovations."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/opini...p=cur&_r=0
29-03-2017, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 02:58 PM by Thoreauvian.)
So how will people think of Donald Trump in 100 years, when the ravages of climate change are apparent?
29-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Interesting article relating to earlier discussions on access to climate change data.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
29-03-2017, 11:09 AM
(29-03-2017 10:43 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Interesting article relating to earlier discussions on access to climate change data.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

Sounds like they've got MiniTrue working at full capacity. Winston must be double-plus busy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
29-03-2017, 12:32 PM
(29-03-2017 11:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Sounds like they've got MiniTrue working at full capacity. Winston must be double-plus busy.

I have no idea what that means...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]