Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 09:02 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
Thread opened, needed to do some housekeeping.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I really wasn't sure where this thread was going.

Does anyone have any interesting facts about glaciation cycles or geology they'd like to share? I'm getting kind of bored hearing about our imminent doom everywhere I look lately.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
14-04-2017, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 04:29 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(13-04-2017 09:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread opened, needed to do some housekeeping.

Thanks Mom. Considering I'm not on speaking terms with one sister because of her condescending conspiracy theories about climate change science, I certainly didn't want to deal with that in this discussion.

Undecided
14-04-2017, 06:53 AM
(08-04-2017 05:15 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Walter

The 1970's saw great advancements in computers and other hardware that made measurement and calculation easier for scientists. Many discoveries in physics were made possible by the development of the integrated circuit and the laser. In 1970, Arthur Ashkin developed optical trapping, a process which captures individual atoms using lasers, leading to huge advancements in experimentation in physics. Fiber optics were also developed in 1970, setting the stage for a new era of telecommunications. Even the humble pocket calculator served an important role in discovery in the 1970's; the marketing of the pocket calculator drove the production of large-scale integrated circuit development, which sparked the rise of the computer, shaping discovery in the 21st century

Do you think the things I posted add any validity to what climate scientists have discovered ?

There is a reason that engineering is separate from the arts and sciences.

Dad was a mathematician / electrical engineer (AWACS and F16 radar systems) and many other things which I will never know about. I often refer to the 1947 invention of the transistor at Bell Labs.

However, the sciences and arts are subject to personal philosophies, be they economic, political, social or psychological. A plant food advocate can become a nutrition scientist and frighten us about saturated animal fat. An advocate for nationalizing the economy can become an economics professor and frighten us about corporate hegemony. An advocate for living in harmony with nature can become a climate scientist and frighten us about carbon dioxide. Someone emotionally opposed to synthetic sweeteners can become a cancer scientist and frighten us about saccharine.

All these advocates have two very important things in common. Fear and source of funding.

I would expect atheists to pick up on the fear. You know, like they do with Christianity and Hell and all that stuff.
14-04-2017, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 07:06 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-04-2017 06:53 AM)Walter Wrote:  An advocate for living in harmony with nature can become a climate scientist and frighten us about carbon dioxide.

First of all, too much of anything is a bad thing.

Second, what you wrote is little more than a justification for some anti-science conspiracy theory. It's much more likely that a few denialist scientists are in the pockets of the fossil fuel industries than 97% of climate scientists are in on a conspiracy to mislead the public or establish a world government.

Third, sometimes fear and funding are entirely justified. If you judge by fear and funding alone, you should oppose the entire defense industry.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Yea if you're going to preach follow the money you need to do that for both sides of the issue. If you do that for this issue you'll find that at least in the early days of the debate the funding for the 3% came almost exclusively from institutions with a heavily vested financial interest in burning more carbon base fuels.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
14-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Thread reopened again....

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2017, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:25 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
This is a thread dealing with the general discussion about climate change and what can be done to stop it.

It is NOT a place to wing conspiracy theories on how climate change doesn't exist.

if you want to discuss that, there's a thread for it...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ion--42159

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2017, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:25 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(14-04-2017 10:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread dealing with the general discussion about climate change and what can be done to stop it.

It is NOT a place to wing conspiracy theories on how climate change doesn't exist.

Thanks again. TTA is a big improvement over the Amazon forums.

Big Grin
14-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Anyone want to see what the map would look like it all the ice melted? I actually wouldn't mind it too much if everything else stayed sort of the same....

[Image: a2071298c707ff3b22edd27f2075ed9c.jpg]

More details available here: http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-731187.html

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post