Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(14-03-2017 12:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Enjoy your lives, invest in companies that build underground and move near a hydroelectric dam for your electric needs.

Montreal is ideal.

We can't eliminate but we can mitigate the problem. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Here in Australia, there's currently a very wide public push towards shutting down all our coal-burning power generation facilities—which I agree with in general terms. I think it needs to be phased in (out?) progressively in order to avoid social disruption to the local economy and to the thousands (7,000?) of workers involved. I live in Victoria's Latrobe Valley, which houses the state's largest coal generating plants—Hazelwood, Yallourn and Loy Yang. This is one of them, which outputs around 40% of the state's power:

[Image: 3c4536d4a4e8a77e830f69a92d73f1a0?width=1024]

Images of this type are invariably used to accompany print articles aggressively attacking the coal-fired power stations, but it's important to note that there are no visible and/or particulate atmospheric contaminants (smoke) issuing from any of the three flues. The white stuff you can see is plain old steam issuing from the cooling towers—which is often willfully misrepresented as evidence of atmospheric pollution by the tree-hugger brigade.

In the immediate future, there's no way that wind power (the favoured alternative option) can provide the current (ouch!) coal-fired capacity of 6,400MW. The one wind farm now operating in the Valley provides a mere 21MW from 12 turbines.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-03-2017, 05:09 PM
12 turbines is but an expiriment. They will have to adopt wind and other means in a serious scale.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
14-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-03-2017 04:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Here in Australia, there's currently a very wide public push towards shutting down all our coal-burning power generation facilities—which I agree with in general terms.

In the immediate future, there's no way that wind power (the favoured alternative option) can provide the current (ouch!) coal-fired capacity of 6,400MW. The one wind farm now operating in the Valley provides a mere 21MW from 12 turbines.

I would think your preferred alternative energy source in Australia would be solar, considering. Why isn't that the case?
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
14-03-2017, 05:36 PM
(14-03-2017 12:55 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  I'm aiming for this to be a thread where people can post general observations, talk climate science and future projections, and discuss what they're doing in the way of activism.

So what form does your activism take? Why are you especially interested in this topic yourself? What books have you read?
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
14-03-2017, 06:02 PM
"it's important to note that there are no visible and/or particulate atmospheric contaminants (smoke) issuing from any of the three flues. "

As humans, we exhale some CO2 with each breath.
It's not all that visible either.

Some demonic rogue theist just possessed my body.
"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there."

In all seriousness, over population is a huge problem, especially on a world with limited resources. It makes me wonder if other advanced civilizations in our galaxy didn't survive because of this threshold we find ourselves moving toward.

Large population
Limited resources
Ever warming planet

It's not a good combination.

Anyone with half a brain probably wouldn't be concerned. You know, cause they only have half a brain. The rest of us however, should be concerned.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
14-03-2017, 06:22 PM
(14-03-2017 05:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Our efforts to reduce carbon emissions have a one to two hundred year lag. That's the window of irreversible change ahead of us. After then it will come down to what tipping points we hit along the way. We may hit a runaway point that puts the climate into a new equilibrium that we can't tip back. Every year we fail to act adds a year to the window of irreversible change.

By "tipping points" I assume you mean positive feedback loops, like unfreezing the methane in the oceans and permafrost -- ?

Could you explain what you mean by "Our efforts to reduce carbon emissions have a one to two hundred year lag"? Do you mean the effects lag that far behind the carbon release? I didn't think it was that high. Do you have a reference?
14-03-2017, 06:30 PM
(14-03-2017 01:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  So climate change eh? That thing that is happening. I'm interested in a couple of things:
  • What level of sea level rise can we expect in the next 50 years?
  • Is there *anything* that we can do? I mean activism is all very well but if we're totally fucked anyway then holding a march waving placards doesn't seem very useful to me.

1. Baring some Day After Tomorrow instant Ice Age scenario it is going to go rise. The best data we have says a few inches in the time frame you're talking about, but it could be a few feet. We simply don't have enough data to make a precise prediction with any degree of certainty. The variables in the feedback loops make reliable predictions impossible. That's not to say there isn't a model out there today that's got it right, but determining which one is right is difficult.

2. Replace your incandescent lights with LED's. Turn the lights off when you don't need them. Turn the heat down and the air conditioning up. Upgrade your insulation and windows. Trade in your gas guzzling 4x4 for a subcompact hybrid. Add some solar panels to home. Your actions alone aren't going to make much of a difference, but if enough of us make small changes it can.

Or you could shoot your republican representatives. Waving a placard may not help much, but if there is one trend I've picked up on in the last 55 years it is violence gets people's attention.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
14-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Um so... I have another question: how much sea level rise can we tolerate? I mean... if it rises a few inches... what does that mean in terms of consequences? A few feet? Does that mean island nations drowned? Large areas of uninhabitable swamp in some low lying continents?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-03-2017, 06:23 AM
(14-03-2017 12:55 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  Do not call other users trolls, morons, children, or anything else clever you may think of. Personal attacks, whether explicit or implicit, are not permitted.

In general, don't be a jerk. Don't bait people, don't use hate speech, etc. Attack ideas, not users.

You then call me a denier.

Great start.