Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 04:08 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"March 2017 became the sixth month in a row to set a record for the lowest sea ice extent, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC). For the third straight year, Arctic sea ice peaked at a record low level during the winter season, missing a staggering 471,000 square miles of sea ice compared to the 1981-2010 average winter peak. In other words, a chunk of ice about the size of Texas, California, and Kentucky combined was missing from the top of our planet."

"The Arctic is warming at about twice the rate of the rest of the world, largely due to a phenomenon known as Arctic amplification. As sea ice melts, it exposes darker ocean waters beneath it to incoming solar radiation, causing the water temperatures to rise. These milder ocean waters then melt more ice while also increasing air temperatures, which in turn goes on to melt more ice and snow, exposing more darker surfaces, and so on."

http://mashable.com/2017/04/13/arctic-me...Nmm4Cy7Pqd
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2017, 10:02 AM
(14-04-2017 10:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread dealing with the general discussion about climate change and what can be done to stop it.

It is NOT a place to wing conspiracy theories on how climate change doesn't exist.

if you want to discuss that, there's a thread for it...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ion--42159

Wow, you´re not very interested in science, huh?
15-04-2017, 10:17 AM
(15-04-2017 10:02 AM)LifeIsThermal Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 10:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread dealing with the general discussion about climate change and what can be done to stop it.

It is NOT a place to wing conspiracy theories on how climate change doesn't exist.

if you want to discuss that, there's a thread for it...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ion--42159

Wow, you´re not very interested in science, huh?

We actually are, we aren't interested in pseudoscience that you prefer to peddle. You have your other thread to play in, you've been told now twice.

This isn't up for debate or discussion.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2017, 10:21 AM
(14-04-2017 04:51 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Anyone want to see what the map would look like it all the ice melted? I actually wouldn't mind it too much if everything else stayed sort of the same....

[Image: a2071298c707ff3b22edd27f2075ed9c.jpg]

More details available here: http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-731187.html

It's not just about losing large swaths of land, what happens to the oceans? The fish...we're already over-fishing some to the point of endangerment....the Great Barrier Reef is dying.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2017, 10:48 AM
(15-04-2017 10:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's not just about losing large swaths of land, what happens to the oceans? The fish...we're already over-fishing some to the point of endangerment....the Great Barrier Reef is dying.

My wife and I are watching the David Attenborough DVD on the Great Barrier Reef. Sea tortoises return from great distances to lay their eggs on one particular island in the reef. Lately the number of eggs which hatch successfully has decreased since water has been seeping in under the sand of the island and drowning the eggs. Wildlife experts have increased the success rate again by raising the level of the sands. But what happens to those animals when the island disappears altogether? Will their instincts allow them to lay their eggs along the coast instead?

We are changing the world in ways that we can't imagine all the possible repercussions.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-04-2017, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 11:06 AM by Kaneda.)
(15-04-2017 10:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 04:51 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Anyone want to see what the map would look like it all the ice melted? I actually wouldn't mind it too much if everything else stayed sort of the same....

[Image: a2071298c707ff3b22edd27f2075ed9c.jpg]

More details available here: http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-731187.html

It's not just about losing large swaths of land, what happens to the oceans? The fish...we're already over-fishing some to the point of endangerment....the Great Barrier Reef is dying.

Yah , I know. I was just reminiscing about my grade school days, where they taught us the worst we had to worry about were submerged coastlines, and slightly warmer summers. Most people don't get that punch in the gut until they go digging about the topic for themselves.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
15-04-2017, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 04:06 PM by Kaneda.)
"The maps here show the world as it is now, with only one difference: All the ice on land has melted and drained into the sea, raising it 216 feet and creating new shorelines for our continents and inland seas."

[Image: ice-melt-globe-opener.adapt.885.1.jpg]

"There are more than five million cubic miles of ice on Earth, and some scientists say it would take more than 5,000 years to melt it all. If we continue adding carbon to the atmosphere, we’ll very likely create an ice-free planet, with an average temperature of perhaps 80 degrees Fahrenheit instead of the current 58."

1.^"What the World Would Look Like if All the Ice Melted"
National Geographic. September 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2017.

15-04-2017, 03:53 PM
NORTH AMERICA

[Image: 01-ice-melt-north-america.adapt.1900.1.jpg]

"The entire Atlantic seaboard would vanish, along with Florida and the Gulf Coast. In California, San Francisco's hills would become a cluster of islands and the Central Valley a giant bay. The Gulf of California would stretch north past the latitude of San Diego—not that there'd be a San Diego."[1]

15-04-2017, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 03:58 PM by Kaneda.)
SOUTH AMERICA

[Image: 02-ice-melt-south-america.adapt.1900.1.jpg]

"The Amazon Basin in the north and the Paraguay River Basin in the south would become Atlantic inlets, wiping out Buenos Aires, coastal Uruguay, and most of Paraguay. Mountainous stretches would survive along the Caribbean coast and in Central America."[1]

15-04-2017, 04:08 PM
AFRICA

[Image: 03-ice-melt-africa.adapt.1900.1.jpg]

"Compared with other continents, Africa would lose less of its land to the ultimate sea-level catastrophe, but Earth’s rising heat might make much of it uninhabitable. In Egypt, Alexandria and Cairo will be swamped by the intruding Mediterranean."[1]

[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post