Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 08:21 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(15-04-2017 08:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Only problem now is dodging clown dicks who keep jumping in the way out of some absurdly misguided idea that they are saving jobs. "Dude, we're creating the jobs, get out of the way. Go start a stokers union if you want to keep busy."

Conservatives are looking backwards at a time when we need as many people looking forwards as possible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-04-2017, 08:25 PM
(15-04-2017 08:21 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 08:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Only problem now is dodging clown dicks who keep jumping in the way out of some absurdly misguided idea that they are saving jobs. "Dude, we're creating the jobs, get out of the way. Go start a stokers union if you want to keep busy."

Conservatives are looking backwards at a time when we need as many people looking forwards as possible.

They're losing the war to attrition and they're smart enough to know it and it pisses them off. Crotchety old white men. Get off my lawn.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-04-2017, 06:42 AM
(08-04-2017 07:31 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:24 AM)Walter Wrote:  Oh, wait. This is about climate science. Never mind.

Arguments from analogy are pretty weak, don't you think?

Instead of taking that route, why don't you tell us why you think 97% of climate scientists are wrong. Then we can have a discussion.

They are not weak at all. You would like me to continue to witness science confirmation bias (Heaven forbid I use the F word) started in the 1950s. Your great science community has not yet stood up to this nonsense. Should we give it another 60 years to become thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed?

All of the sudden, in the 1990s, I am supposed to throw my skeptical brain in the trash and accept more fear mongering from that same science community. Can you recognize, just a little bit, consistent skepticism?

If I told you to continue your skepticism of the writings of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John but to take Joseph Smith seriously, what would be your response? I can take a wild guess.

But, you want me, who was at the National Cancer Institute when the saccharine scare started and who grew up with saturated animal fat as the major source of calories and who had grandparents grow up on Canadian farms and ranches where nothing from slaughtered animals was wasted…

You want me to turn around and open my arms to even more specialized fear mongers who you happen to view as no different from my father, the mathematician and electrical engineer. If you want to place Mann at the same level as the inventors of the transistor, we have a big problem.

Dressing up social fear mongering (religion) in scientist’s clothing is perfectly fine for many people, but not for me. If referring to the Book of Genesis as Creation Science or Intelligent Design suits you, well fine. Please do not ask me to do the same. It makes no sense.

I am not sure I was clear enough. Happy Easter!
16-04-2017, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 09:22 AM by Thoreauvian.)
Ooookkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyy. So no discussion then.

Sorry, but skepticism is best embodied in the scientific community itself. If you don't think scientists have considered all the alternatives, you haven't studied the research.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-04-2017, 12:41 PM
(15-04-2017 10:02 AM)LifeIsThermal Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 10:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread dealing with the general discussion about climate change and what can be done to stop it.

It is NOT a place to wing conspiracy theories on how climate change doesn't exist.

Wow, you´re not very interested in science, huh?

Each and every atheist is "interested" in science, which conversely illustrates why only 33% of scientists say they believe in God, whilst 83% of the wider public say they believe in God. [Pew Research Center ]

As far as your own "interest" in science is concerned, it's obviously barely at grade school level—as you appear to have zero knowledge of thermodynamics. And this fact makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for you to add anything meaningful to a debate about global climate change.

There's a very informative and concise site HERE titled "The Basics of Climate Change" published by the UK Royal Society. I suggest you read through it, and try to understand what climate change is all about—rather than simply sucking up disinformation from ill-informed skeptics' sites like a sponge, and then regurgitating it here.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 05:50 PM
"California and New York currently maintain some of the nation's most ambitious state-level climate action plans, including goals in both states to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions 40% below their 1990 levels by the year 2030, and 80% by the year 2050. Both states also have plans for the advancement of clean energy and energy efficiency programs, and both participate in carbon pricing schemes—California has had its own statewide cap-and-trade program since 2012, and New York is one of nine northeastern states participating in a joint cap-and-trade scheme known as the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative."

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2...tes-battle
19-04-2017, 07:38 AM
"In their new book, Climate of Hope: How Cities, Businesses, and Citizens Can Save the Planet, Michael Bloomberg and Carl Pope, the former executive director of the Sierra Club, argue that a beyond-D.C. approach offers the best opportunity for dealing with climate change. Mayors have more autonomy than national leaders, they say. They’re more accountable to voters for dealing with climate-related problems like pollution and extreme weather events. They originate most of the emissions that cause climate change, and they face the greatest threats from its impacts. And urban populations are generally more supportive of climate action than rural ones."

https://www.fastcompany.com/40407139/mic...ign=buffer
23-04-2017, 07:24 AM
"In a unique study spanning the entire continent, scientists have found that water is gushing across Antarctica — more than they ever realized. The researchers from Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory have found significant drainage of meltwater flowing across the continent’s ice sheets during summer in Antarctica. Until now, these streams of water were mainly associated only with Antarctica’s far north regions. The discovery of widespread streams across the continent is ominous news, indicating Antarctica’s ice may be much more vulnerable to melting than scientists predicted. Free-flowing water, which absorbs solar energy more than ice, puts nearby ice at greater risk of melting."

"Sea level rise is expected to pose a massive threat to humankind this century. Global sea levels could rise between one foot and 8.2 feet by the year 2100, according to projections published by NOAA earlier this year. Though eight feet may not sound like a huge number, the consequences to human life would be devastating, as would the economic impact: researchers estimate that a rise of just six feet would be enough swallow up the homes of about six million Americans."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/water-stream...s-melting/
23-04-2017, 07:29 AM
The only thing that needs to be "discussed" about climate change, is how to stop the GOP assholes who put short term profit over our planet's health.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2017, 08:28 AM
"The 2015 Paris agreement to limit greenhouse gas emissions may not prevent as much as half of the permanently frozen soils at the Earth’s highest latitudes from thawing, according to a new study. Newly published research in the journal Nature Climate Change, offers what may be the most realistic estimate to date of how much of the Northern Hemisphere’s 15 million square kilometers (5.79 million square miles) of permafrost would be lost as the average global temperature continues to rise in coming decades and centuries. Such a thaw would dramatically alter the High North’s environment, as evident by buildings already sinking into the tundra and coastlines slumping into the sea. It would also release many tons of additional carbon into the atmosphere, further accelerating climate change worldwide. The estimated losses are about 20 percent greater than predicted by previous climate modeling."

https://www.newsdeeply.com/arctic/articl...ign=buffer