Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2017, 04:10 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
From a discussion with a former climate change denier:

Sharon Lerner: I frequently hear about Republican lawmakers who don’t believe their own climate denials. Do you know many people who are in that camp?

Jerry Taylor: I have talked to many of them in confidence. There are between 40 and 50 in the House and maybe 10 to 12 in the Senate. They’re all looking for a way out of the denialist penitentiary they’ve been put into by the Tea Party. But they’re not sure what the Republican response ought to look like exactly and when the political window is going to open.

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/28/how-...r-science/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Discussions by our government about whether or not people are influencing our climate should have been over 40 years ago. The only thing related to climate change the assholes in Washington should have should have been talking about since then is what to do about it. Unfortunately that's not what their corporate owners were paying them for.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
29-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Not trolling or even saying I definitely believe this but a part of me has been thinking maybe we should just go ahead a wreck the environment and enjoy the shit out of all this relatively cheap and super powerful and convenient energy while we're the ones inhabiting the planet. It occurred to me when I was listening to this huge array of music online that for me, my existence in relation to what I want and what I have access to makes this pretty much a golden age of existence. At this point, I want to read and listen to music and have air conditioning. I can get any book I want, any song I want, and keep my apartment at any temperature I want. I also have a mattress, blankets, a private bathroom, water and food. I do wish I could afford better food but it's still pretty well taken care of. I know mankind is crashing and burning but the doctor already told me I'm diabetic, it's genetic, and whatever else. I mean, I've lived hard, I can feel it, 10-15 years left I'd say. I want humanity to make it but I don't see a realistic transition out of fossil fuels, a desire to do it. Perhaps the only thing worse than global warming is running out of the stuff that causes it and BOTH are going to happen. If you're reading this you're probably living the sweetest existence mankind will ever know. Like I said, I'm not sure I'm really committed to this idea but a part of me is starting to think fuck the future let's enjoy the shit out of this.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-04-2017, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 10:28 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(29-04-2017 09:38 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It occurred to me when I was listening to this huge array of music online that for me, my existence in relation to what I want and what I have access to makes this pretty much a golden age of existence.

I certainly agree that this is the golden age of human existence. However, it's also the dark age of environmental destruction.

Our present lifestyles only became a big problem with overpopulation. Seven billion people can't all live like Americans without destroying the environment, which supports our lifestyles to begin with. It's too bad we didn't all realize this sooner and act more decisively to control our population, then we could continue to enjoy the remarkable fruits of our labors in a sustainable way.

As it is, we will likely have to change our lifestyles to limit the total amount of environmental destruction as much as possible. To me, that means doing different things: not taking long trips, eating less meat, driving a hybrid, changing the lightbulbs to LEDs and so on. We can vote for what we want with how we spend our money. If everyone did that much, it could help a lot because little efforts add up.
29-04-2017, 10:36 AM
(29-04-2017 10:24 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 09:38 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It occurred to me when I was listening to this huge array of music online that for me, my existence in relation to what I want and what I have access to makes this pretty much a golden age of existence.

I certainly agree that this is the golden age of human existence. However, it's also the dark age of environmental destruction.

Our present lifestyles only became a big problem with overpopulation. Seven billion people can't all live like Americans without destroying the environment, which supports our lifestyles to begin with. It's too bad we didn't all realize this sooner and act more decisively to control our population, then we could continue to enjoy the remarkable fruits of our labors in a sustainable way.

As it is, we will likely have to change our lifestyles to limit the total amount of environmental destruction as much as possible. To me, that means doing different things: not taking long trips, eating less meat, driving a hybrid, changing the lightbulbs to LEDs and so on. We can vote for what we want with how we spend our money. If everyone did that much, it could help a lot because little efforts add up.

The bulk of the environmental destruction has occured within the last hundred years. Species extinctions. Melting ice caps. In ONE friggin' century. We HAVE to control ourselves or die.

There's not all bad news. I came across this today Smile They lay out a plan for getting the USA off coal by 2030. This ain't no pipe-dream. It's NASA. I haven't read the whole paper yet tho...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-04-2017, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 02:51 PM by Kaneda.)
(29-04-2017 04:10 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  From a discussion with a former climate change denier:

Sharon Lerner: I frequently hear about Republican lawmakers who don’t believe their own climate denials. Do you know many people who are in that camp?

Jerry Taylor: I have talked to many of them in confidence. There are between 40 and 50 in the House and maybe 10 to 12 in the Senate. They’re all looking for a way out of the denialist penitentiary they’ve been put into by the Tea Party. But they’re not sure what the Republican response ought to look like exactly and when the political window is going to open.

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/28/how-...r-science/

I have a strong feeling that we're going to reach a cultural tipping point in the next couple of years; once climate change and environmental degradation really start to disrupt things in the first world, it's going to be a winning strategy in politics to run on "doing something" about global warming, and having a record showing that you've acted on your convictions isn't going to hurt. Those lawmakers who bank on publicly denying climate change are digging their own graves as we speak.

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
29-04-2017, 04:22 PM
(29-04-2017 02:47 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I have a strong feeling that we're going to reach a cultural tipping point in the next couple of years; once climate change and environmental degradation really start to disrupt things in the first world, it's going to be a winning strategy in politics to run on "doing something" about global warming, and having a record showing that you've acted on your convictions isn't going to hurt. Those lawmakers who bank on publicly denying climate change are digging their own graves as we speak.

It turns out some of our "leaders" are just followers after all.

Hobo
30-04-2017, 02:20 AM
(29-04-2017 04:22 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 02:47 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I have a strong feeling that we're going to reach a cultural tipping point in the next couple of years; once climate change and environmental degradation really start to disrupt things in the first world, it's going to be a winning strategy in politics to run on "doing something" about global warming, and having a record showing that you've acted on your convictions isn't going to hurt. Those lawmakers who bank on publicly denying climate change are digging their own graves as we speak.

It turns out some of our "leaders" are just followers after all.

Hobo

Well, that's democracy for you. It very easily degenerates into figuring out what most pleases the largest amount of people, and saying that thing - regardless if that's a sensible course of action. And frequently what most pleases the largest amount of people is to say "Don't worry, continue your present course, those fools over there saying that you should change and maaybe possibly put up with some personal discomfort are all government shills or enemy agents (or communists, or whatever the flavour du jour is)".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-04-2017, 06:09 AM
"As the planet warms, species are shifting where, when, and how they thrive. They are moving up slopes and toward the poles. That is already altering what people can eat; sparking new disease risks; upending key industries; and changing how entire cultures use the land and sea. 'We're talking about a redistribution of the entire planet's species,' says Gretta Pecl, lead author of a new study in Science that examined the implications of wildlife on the move."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/...ign=buffer
30-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Climate Change - General Discussion
Forest Fires will be getting larger and more destructive. Fire seasons will be longer. Hurricanes will be more numerous and massive. Humans are destroying the planet. Just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post