Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 08:56 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(30-04-2017 07:42 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  Hurricanes will be more numerous and massive.

There is some dispute whether hurricanes will become more frequent, though the consensus is that they will be stronger -- at least if I remember my reading correctly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2017, 09:21 AM
(30-04-2017 08:56 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 07:42 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  Hurricanes will be more numerous and massive.

There is some dispute whether hurricanes will become more frequent, though the consensus is that they will be stronger -- at least if I remember my reading correctly.

It depends on how deep into the future you're projecting. Melting polar caps will cool water but eventually it will heat up again.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
30-04-2017, 09:41 AM
(24-04-2017 04:30 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 03:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Facepalm

It's like my friend who unironically said, 'there are hungry, starving people in Africa, we should just bring them all to Texas because we've got plenty of room and food.'

It was meant to be a face palm.

That is why i wrote "unironically" because I kinda figured you didn't mean it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
"[Trump’s] de-funding of many of the basic scientific programs that are there to measure, to monitor what’s happening with the climate, is sort of like having a child who is suffering from a very high fever, and then deciding to just stop measuring their temperature, stop taking their temperature. That’s effectively what he is doing. But not just with a single human being—with our entire planet—and it’s a threat to all of us."

—Pennsylvania State University climatologist Michael E. Mann, in an interview about his paper in Scientific Reports linking global warming to changes in the Northern Hemisphere jet stream (March 27)
01-05-2017, 12:46 PM
(01-05-2017 10:30 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "[Trump’s] de-funding of many of the basic scientific programs that are there to measure, to monitor what’s happening with the climate, is sort of like having a child who is suffering from a very high fever, and then deciding to just stop measuring their temperature, stop taking their temperature. That’s effectively what he is doing. But not just with a single human being—with our entire planet—and it’s a threat to all of us."

—Pennsylvania State University climatologist Michael E. Mann, in an interview about his paper in Scientific Reports linking global warming to changes in the Northern Hemisphere jet stream (March 27)

Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-05-2017, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 02:12 PM by Popeye's Pappy.)
Just in case no one has mentioned it yet the EPA took down their climate change webpage last Friday. This is what it looks like today.

[Image: sP1D73y.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
(01-05-2017 01:08 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Just in case no one has mentioned it yet the EPA took down their climate change webpage lat Friday. This is what it looks like today.

[Image: sP1D73y.jpg]

DodgyFacepalmSadcryfaceWeeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-05-2017, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 01:33 PM by Kaneda.)
(01-05-2017 01:08 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Just in case no one has mentioned it yet the EPA took down their climate change webpage last Friday.

These people get deeper in the sand the more obvious the issue gets. I would say let them bury themselves, but this kind of stupidity may cause too much collateral damage to just shrug off.

I think we'd do very well to support independent studies, collect as much hard literature on the subject as we can, and start talking to more people about the climate out in the open. Of course, this wave of censorship is probably temporary, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can just grab a pint and wait for all this to blow over.

“We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities... still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.” ~Darwin
01-05-2017, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 01:37 PM by Kaneda.)
^^That screenshot is real, and not just a running joke, right?

“We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities... still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.” ~Darwin
01-05-2017, 02:12 PM
(01-05-2017 01:32 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  ^^That screenshot is real, and not just a running joke, right?

The screen shot is real. That's what you got on Friday if you clicked on climate change under environmental topics on the EPA home page. Today climate change isn't even listed under environmental topics.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post