Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Climate change is melting permafrost soils that have been frozen for thousands of years, and as the soils melt they are releasing ancient viruses and bacteria that, having lain dormant, are springing back to life."

"In a 2005 study, NASA scientists successfully revived bacteria that had been encased in a frozen pond in Alaska for 32,000 years. The microbes, called Carnobacterium pleistocenium, had been frozen since the Pleistocene period, when woolly mammoths still roamed the Earth. Once the ice melted, they began swimming around, seemingly unaffected."

"What's more, global warming does not have to directly melt permafrost to pose a threat. Because the Arctic sea ice is melting, the north shore of Siberia has become more easily accessible by sea. As a result, industrial exploitation, including mining for gold and minerals, and drilling for oil and natural gas, is now becoming profitable."

" 'At the moment, these regions are deserted and the deep permafrost layers are left alone,' says [evolutionary biologist Jean-Michel] Claverie. 'However, these ancient layers could be exposed by the digging involved in mining and drilling operations. If viable virions are still there, this could spell disaster." "

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-...ign=buffer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 08:28 PM
^^Ah Thoreauvian, I can always count on you to cheer this thread up Big Grin.

Unsure

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
05-05-2017, 08:32 PM
(05-05-2017 08:28 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  ^^Ah Thoreauvian, I can always count on you to cheer this thread up Big Grin.

Unsure

A worldwide plague would solve a lot of problems.

Glad I could cheer you up.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-05-2017, 02:24 AM
This could spell disaster if you replace th with a d and and on an aster.

The dinosaurs couldn't spell that well.
They added on an asteroid

It didn't spell disaster, but disaster is what they got.
Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-05-2017, 11:25 AM
(05-05-2017 08:28 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  ^^Ah Thoreauvian, I can always count on you to cheer this thread up Big Grin.

Seriously though, I don't expect the possibility of unleashing an ancient disease to come to anything important. I just file it under "Interesting facts about climate change which show the unknown risks we are running."

Undecided
06-05-2017, 12:32 PM
I haven't really looked into climate change all that much. I've always heard that scientists all agree that it's man-made. Does anyone have any sources they can link me to support or negate this claim?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
06-05-2017, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 01:14 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(06-05-2017 12:32 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I haven't really looked into climate change all that much. I've always heard that scientists all agree that it's man-made. Does anyone have any sources they can link me to support or negate this claim?

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals (1) show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources."

See the following link for the list of organizations as well as footnote (1) supporting the 97 percent statement:

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

The NASA Climate Change site is also a good place to start to learn the basic information about the evidence.
06-05-2017, 01:40 PM
(06-05-2017 01:03 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 12:32 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I haven't really looked into climate change all that much. I've always heard that scientists all agree that it's man-made. Does anyone have any sources they can link me to support or negate this claim?

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals (1) show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources."

See the following link for the list of organizations as well as footnote (1) supporting the 97 percent statement:

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

The NASA Climate Change site is also a good place to start to learn the basic information about the evidence.

Thanks

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
08-05-2017, 08:10 AM
"The existence of scientific uncertainty has often been used in support of arguments that climate mitigation is unnecessary or too costly. Those arguments are flawed because, if anything, greater uncertainty about the future evolution of the climate should compel us to act with even greater urgency than if there were no (or less) uncertainty."
-- Stephan Lewandowsky

http://shapingtomorrowsworld.org/lewando...ount1.html
09-05-2017, 06:37 AM
"A new study suggests that Alaska, with its huge stretches of tundra and forest, may be shifting from a net sink, or storehouse, of carbon to a net source. The study focused on one possible cause: warmer temperatures that keep the Arctic tundra from freezing until later in the fall, allowing plant respiration and microbial decomposition — processes that release carbon dioxide — to continue longer."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/clima...ign=buffer