Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 08:23 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
Plain old horse sense let's you know that's what's up

The ice melts. What's under it is exposed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
"Depletion of dissolved oxygen in our oceans, which can cause dead zones, is occurring much faster than expected, a new study finds. And by combining oxygen loss with ever-worsening ocean warming and acidification, humans are re-creating the conditions that led to the worst-ever extinction, which killed over 90 percent of marine life 252 million years ago."

"Scientists have long predicted that as carbon pollution warms the globe, the amount of oxygen in our oceans would drop, since warmer water can’t hold as much dissolved gas as colder water. And, Georgia Tech researchers point out, falling oxygen levels have recently led to more frequent low-oxygen events that 'killed or displaced populations of fish, crabs and many other organisms.' But what is especially worrisome about this new research is how quickly it is happening. 'The trend of oxygen falling is about two to three times faster than what we predicted from the decrease of solubility associated with the ocean warming,' said lead researcher Prof. Taka Ito. 'This is most likely due to the changes in ocean circulation and mixing associated with the heating of the near-surface waters and melting of polar ice.' ”

https://thinkprogress.org/oxygen-levels-...1e9b48cd42
10-05-2017, 01:53 PM
"Environmentalists got some rare good news Wednesday when the Senate narrowly rejected a GOP effort to repeal an Obama-era regulation limiting methane emissions on public lands. President Donald Trump faces a May 11 deadline to overturn a number of Obama-era regulations through a simple majority vote in Congress under a law known as the Congressional Review Act. The oil and gas industry lobbied hard for Congress to use the CRA to repeal Department of Interior's methane rule, which requires energy companies to upgrade equipment and monitoring to prevent venting and leaking of methane—a power greenhouse gas—on public lands. The rule also restricts a practice know as 'flaring,' which is when oil and gas operators leak and burn off excess gas."

"The repeal effort faced its final defeat on Wednesday in a 51-49 vote, with Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), and John McCain (Ariz.) joining every Democrat in opposing the bill."

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2...ethane-cra
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
10-05-2017, 03:18 PM
(10-05-2017 01:53 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "The repeal effort faced its final defeat on Wednesday in a 51-49 vote, with Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), and John McCain (Ariz.) joining every Democrat in opposing the bill."

Could have a wider impact on the resistance to Trump scene too, if republicans start breaking ranks over these votes they can conceivably break ranks for other things too. He *might* run into a bit of trouble in the near future...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-05-2017, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 03:42 AM by Thoreauvian.)
I just finished reading a short science fiction book which attempted to dramatize the future history of climate change from the perspectives of people living in different places in the world. 2084: An Oral History of the Great Warming, written in 2011 by James Powell, was entertaining to read but came off as mostly alarmist since the timing of the changes was much more accelerated than the actual science speculates it will be. It included "reports" of the flooding of Miami, New York City, Rotterdam, and Bangladesh; the desertification of Phoenix, southern Europe, and the Amazon; and the wars between India and Pakistan and between the United States and Canada.

However, I thought a couple of the book's speculations were surprising enough to mention in a bit more detail. Powell envisioned that a new fascist movement would come to power in the United States, first as a part of the Republican party, then independently as the "America First" party. The fascists would be driven by demagogues, and their primary issues were to deport illegal immigrants from Mexico (after demonizing them) and to build a border fence. Of course, the book had the fascists gaining power in the 2030s, but so much for fiction....
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 03:09 PM by Kaneda.)
(11-05-2017 03:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I just finished reading a short science fiction book which attempted to dramatize the future history of climate change from the perspectives of people living in different places in the world. 2084: An Oral History of the Great Warming, written in 2011 by James Powell, was entertaining to read but came off as mostly alarmist since the timing of the changes was much more accelerated than the actual science speculates it will be. It included "reports" of the flooding of Miami, New York City, Rotterdam, and Bangladesh; the desertification of Phoenix, southern Europe, and the Amazon; and the wars between India and Pakistan and between the United States and Canada.

With all the huhbub generated around climate change in this last decade, you would think we would have gotten some good material adapted into a movie or TV series. I think audiences would appreciate and remember a story with a narrative that was more in tune to what might actually happen someday. Instead we get shit like The Day After Tomorrow, whose depiction of climate change is so patently absurd that its message is not really of interest to anyone.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
11-05-2017, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 04:01 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(11-05-2017 03:05 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  With all the huhbub generated around climate change in this last decade, you would think we would have gotten some good material adapted into a movie or TV series. I think audiences would appreciate and remember a story with a narrative that was more in tune to what might actually happen someday. Instead we get shit like The Day After Tomorrow, whose depiction of climate change is so patently absurd that its message is not really of interest to anyone.

Yes, I certainly agree. While artists and activists have created some excellent documentaries, like An Inconvenient Truth, Years of Living Dangerously, The 11th Hour, Before the Flood, and Six Degrees Could Change the World, there aren't really any good dramatizations of which I am aware -- perhaps because climate change is such a slow process.
11-05-2017, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 04:07 PM by Thoreauvian.)
"The Department of Interior plans to try to roll back rules limiting methane pollution and waste from fossil fuel drilling on federal lands, after a bid to repeal the regulations failed in the Senate."

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/inter...rule-21438
11-05-2017, 06:37 PM
(11-05-2017 03:41 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Yes, I certainly agree. While artists and activists have created some excellent documentaries, like An Inconvenient Truth, Years of Living Dangerously, The 11th Hour, Before the Flood, and Six Degrees Could Change the World, there aren't really any good dramatizations of which I am aware -- perhaps because climate change is such a slow process.

I think a great way to write an engaging series about about global warming would be to have it take place in three global locations - one tropical, one temperate, and one sub-polar - each having its own plot thread exploring how unfolding events affect the characters there. It would start off subtle, with climate change quietly undergirding the plot in the early seasons (albeit to different degrees in different places), and becoming more and more apparent as the show progressed. Sometime in the middle, the plot then jumps forward several years, and we are in a different world. Large swathes of land are uninhatable, a handful characters have died offscreen, and if your country hasn't descended into civil war, it's being held together by some authoritarian regime. To the characters on the ground, it's now a story of survival, where one learns to cope with loss as a regular theme of life while trying to salvage something for the future generations.

This stuff practically writes itself.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
12-05-2017, 12:25 AM
(11-05-2017 06:37 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 03:41 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Yes, I certainly agree. While artists and activists have created some excellent documentaries, like An Inconvenient Truth, Years of Living Dangerously, The 11th Hour, Before the Flood, and Six Degrees Could Change the World, there aren't really any good dramatizations of which I am aware -- perhaps because climate change is such a slow process.

I think a great way to write an engaging series about about global warming would be to have it take place in three global locations - one tropical, one temperate, and one sub-polar - each having its own plot thread exploring how unfolding events affect the characters there. It would start off subtle, with climate change quietly undergirding the plot in the early seasons (albeit to different degrees in different places), and becoming more and more apparent as the show progressed. Sometime in the middle, the plot then jumps forward several years, and we are in a different world. Large swathes of land are uninhatable, a handful characters have died offscreen, and if your country hasn't descended into civil war, it's being held together by some authoritarian regime. To the characters on the ground, it's now a story of survival, where one learns to cope with loss as a regular theme of life while trying to salvage something for the future generations.

This stuff practically writes itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timescape

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post