Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2017, 04:11 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(18-05-2017 10:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Okay, I'm going to be going away for a while. Keep up the good work, fellas.

Wut?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2017, 04:49 AM
(19-05-2017 04:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 10:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Okay, I'm going to be going away for a while. Keep up the good work, fellas.

Wut?

Every country needs a break from the world occasionally Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2017, 07:39 AM
(17-05-2017 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Michael Crichton and William Happer are not climate scientists, so your argument fails miserably. Drinking Beverage

That is like saying that I cannot be skeptical of the Holy Bible because I am not a theologian. If Happer had been a fear monger instead? I bet his name would have comes up at least two times in the last 20 years.

My mother, the homemaker and cosmetics sales lady was highly skeptical of the animal fat scare and ignored it. Gosh, no formal training in nutrition science or biochemistry. How in God’s Name did she do that?

How many members here, who chow down on animal fat on a daily basis, ignoring the great wisdom of our science community, have degrees in nutrition science. It is too damn funny.

You are telling me that my father, the fairly gifted mathematician, would be disqualified for grading the statistics of the nutrition and climate communities because he had no degree in nutrition or climate science. What the?

I am not turning off and on my skeptical brain. It is always on.

I know you want so badly for this to be about science. The science community also wanted, and still wants, the lipid/heart hypothesis to be about science. It is not, and after 60 years of attempting to make us think it is about science, still cannot give up hope. Does that not sound strangely like religion? And practiced by secular “scientists”. Too funny.

And they have 3,000,000 ministers in the public school system spreading their Gospel. And thousands more highly trained ones (Wow! PhDs!) at the college level. Praise God.

My brother and I laugh at the science community. And I am even a member. Jesus! Try laughing at science while cooking pig on your grill this summer.

Granted, I am just a lowly analytical chemist, not a highly esteemed member of the nutrition or climate communities. So, what I just wrote about pig fat and carbon dioxide really means nothing.

What a relief!
19-05-2017, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 07:59 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(19-05-2017 07:39 AM)Walter Wrote:  My brother and I laugh at the science community.

Thousands of scientists in hundreds of well-respected institutions from countries all around the world have spent billions of dollars for over fifty years studying climate change, and now there is a consensus which even quantifies all the uncertainties in their understanding. So it's really convincing that you and your brother just laugh at them.

Where are your arguments? That scientists can sometimes be wrong doesn't begin to qualify, since we all know that. The question is whether scientists are wrong about climate change. Where is the research supporting denialist perspectives?

You don't even seem to understand that our uncertainties are reasons to be especially careful about the climate, since they may very well work against us as well as for us.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-05-2017, 08:09 AM
(19-05-2017 07:39 AM)Walter Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Michael Crichton and William Happer are not climate scientists, so your argument fails miserably. Drinking Beverage

That is like saying that I cannot be skeptical of the Holy Bible because I am not a theologian. If Happer had been a fear monger instead? I bet his name would have comes up at least two times in the last 20 years.

My mother, the homemaker and cosmetics sales lady was highly skeptical of the animal fat scare and ignored it. Gosh, no formal training in nutrition science or biochemistry. How in God’s Name did she do that?

How many members here, who chow down on animal fat on a daily basis, ignoring the great wisdom of our science community, have degrees in nutrition science. It is too damn funny.

You are telling me that my father, the fairly gifted mathematician, would be disqualified for grading the statistics of the nutrition and climate communities because he had no degree in nutrition or climate science. What the?

I am not turning off and on my skeptical brain. It is always on.

I know you want so badly for this to be about science. The science community also wanted, and still wants, the lipid/heart hypothesis to be about science. It is not, and after 60 years of attempting to make us think it is about science, still cannot give up hope. Does that not sound strangely like religion? And practiced by secular “scientists”. Too funny.

And they have 3,000,000 ministers in the public school system spreading their Gospel. And thousands more highly trained ones (Wow! PhDs!) at the college level. Praise God.

My brother and I laugh at the science community. And I am even a member. Jesus! Try laughing at science while cooking pig on your grill this summer.

Granted, I am just a lowly analytical chemist, not a highly esteemed member of the nutrition or climate communities. So, what I just wrote about pig fat and carbon dioxide really means nothing.

What a relief!

You should spend less time laughing, being smug and arrogant, and instead spend more time familiarizing yourself with the current evidence, data, and models around climate change in both modern and ancient settings. Your bias is woefully apparent and your constant assertions of being a "scientist" as if you're a qualified expert who's opinion is an adequate dismissal of thousands of reputable scientists are extremely tiring and make you look like a condescending douchebag.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2017, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 11:21 AM by Chas.)
(19-05-2017 07:39 AM)Walter Wrote:  

No, they are entitled to their opinions but their uneducated opinions do not support your argument.

Are you really this dense? Consider

Quote:My mother, the homemaker and cosmetics sales lady was highly skeptical of the animal fat scare and ignored it. Gosh, no formal training in nutrition science or biochemistry. How in God’s Name did she do that?

Even the blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

Quote:How many members here, who chow down on animal fat on a daily basis, ignoring the great wisdom of our science community, have degrees in nutrition science. It is too damn funny.

Why don't you tell us how many? No? More empty rhetoric.

Quote:You are telling me that my father, the fairly gifted mathematician, would be disqualified for grading the statistics of the nutrition and climate communities because he had no degree in nutrition or climate science. What the?

No, I wouldn't. And your conclusion is ridiculous. If he is commenting on statistics, he's qualified.

Quote:I am not turning off and on my skeptical brain. It is always on.

It needs some adjustment.

Quote:I know you want so badly for this to be about science. The science community also wanted, and still wants, the lipid/heart hypothesis to be about science. It is not, and after 60 years of attempting to make us think it is about science, still cannot give up hope. Does that not sound strangely like religion? And practiced by secular “scientists”. Too funny.

What does that even mean? Climate change is science.

Quote:And they have 3,000,000 ministers in the public school system spreading their Gospel. And thousands more highly trained ones (Wow! PhDs!) at the college level. Praise God.

Wow. Teaching the scientific method is "spreading their Gospel"?

Quote:My brother and I laugh at the science community. And I am even a member. Jesus! Try laughing at science while cooking pig on your grill this summer.

Your ignorant and childish opinion is noted.

Quote:Granted, I am just a lowly analytical chemist, not a highly esteemed member of the nutrition or climate communities. So, what I just wrote about pig fat and carbon dioxide really means nothing.

What a relief!

It means it is your opinion. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Walter if you really are a scientist you must be a piss-poor one. You clearly don't understand scientific method.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2017, 12:18 PM
I haven't been following this thread very closely. Can someone help a brother out here and summarize Walter's position of climate change? For example:

1. It isn't getting warmer.
2. It's getting warmer, but it isn't a problem.
3. It's getting warmer, but that's a good thing.
4. It's getting warmer, but it isn't us.
5. Derp!

I understand number 5 probably applies, but that doesn't help.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
19-05-2017, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 12:59 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(19-05-2017 12:18 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I haven't been following this thread very closely. Can someone help a brother out here and summarize Walter's position of climate change?

As far as I can tell, Walter's position is that climate scientists have a political agenda, so he redefines "skepticism" to mean rejecting their politics. Apparently he has never really studied the science.
19-05-2017, 01:33 PM
(19-05-2017 12:48 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:18 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I haven't been following this thread very closely. Can someone help a brother out here and summarize Walter's position of climate change?

As far as I can tell, Walter's position is that climate scientists have a political agenda, so he redefines "skepticism" to mean rejecting their politics. Apparently he has never really studied the science.

I caught that part. I just couldn't figure out what his position on climate change actually was.

Do you have a position on climate change, Walter? If so what is it?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post