Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 03:58 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Glacier National Park is losing its glaciers. The flowing sheets of ice scattered throughout the Montana park shrank by more than a third between 1966 and 2015, according to new data from the United States Geological Survey and Portland State University. Using aerial and satellite imagery, researchers traced the footprints of 39 named glaciers in the park and surrounding national forest. They found that 10 had lost more than half their area over 50 years."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017...ign=buffer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 11:26 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...-90-people

Quote:Heavy rains in Sri Lanka have prompted devastating mudslides and flooding, killing at least 91 people and leaving more than 100 missing, according to authorities.

Search and rescue operations are currently underway, the Sri Lankan Disaster Management Center says.

Five rivers in the south and west of the island have flooded, affecting more than 61,000 people, the agency says.

I realize that these sorts of disasters occurred before the days of man made global warming and the importance of understanding the difference between weather and climate. Nonetheless, since massive flooding is inevitable we might as well document it.

Quote:A year ago, torrential rains in Sri Lanka triggered landslides that buried three villages. The mud was 30 feet deep in some areas, one rescue operator told Reuters at the time.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
27-05-2017, 12:12 AM
(24-05-2017 10:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 09:31 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Once again if you want to deny climate change there is a thread for that. This thread's purpose is to discuss what's happening all over the world and what can be done about it.

Walter (and anyone else) you have been warned.

Walter's just trolling, but Mircea posted a link to a very decent looking journal, and seems not to have his head up his arse, at least so far based on the few interactions I've had. He's not so much denying climate change as denying that it's a big deal, he seems to have some appreciation for science, and I think that might be an interesting discussion to have...

Walter was specifically named. No one else was. The "anyone else" was more directed at any others who might try to join that part of the discussion.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-05-2017, 03:46 AM
(26-05-2017 11:26 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I realize that these sorts of disasters occurred before the days of man made global warming and the importance of understanding the difference between weather and climate. Nonetheless, since massive flooding is inevitable we might as well document it.

These days many reports of big storms or droughts come with some evaluation as to what percentage of damage above and beyond the normal could be attributed to climate change. I don't understand how they figure such things, but it satisfies the need not to confuse weather with climate.
27-05-2017, 09:44 AM
(27-05-2017 03:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 11:26 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I realize that these sorts of disasters occurred before the days of man made global warming and the importance of understanding the difference between weather and climate. Nonetheless, since massive flooding is inevitable we might as well document it.

These days many reports of big storms or droughts come with some evaluation as to what percentage of damage above and beyond the normal could be attributed to climate change. I don't understand how they figure such things, but it satisfies the need not to confuse weather with climate.

I'm sure part of that assessment has to do with sea level rise. The effects of storms, storm surges, and flooding become more pronounced along the coasts as sea level continues to increase because the buffer (the coastal land between human habitats and the ocean)is shrinking.

So you can look at areas that might not have flooded 100 years ago and compare them to areas that flood today. If an area wouldn't have flooded given sea level 100 years ago, but would today, then any damage in that area can be directly attributed to sea level rise and climate change

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-05-2017, 10:37 AM
"The best thing for the health of Earth and its inhabitants would be for Trump to stay in the Paris agreement and stick to the existing pledge. Policy makers have identified an increase of 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit) as the red line for warming. Go past that much warming and we are living in a fully climate-changed world (more than we already are, since human fingerprints already are on many extreme weather events, especially heatwaves and temperature records). Existing pledges to the Paris Agreement put the world at about 3.4 degrees Celsius of warming, which is unacceptable. That's why negotiators encourage countries to boost their pledges over time."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/04/politics/s...index.html
29-05-2017, 11:09 AM
"Capturing carbon dioxide emissions from electric power plants and storing them permanently underground may be among the most important ways countries can prevent climate change from spiraling out of control. But, as with many other federal climate-related programs, President Trump’s proposed 2018 budget nearly snuffs out funding for carbon capture and storage, or CCS, research and development, possibly dramatically slowing the advancements in that technology."

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/budge...ign=buffer
29-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Some good news:

"The surge in global coal production has produced a much more refined understanding of coal deposits around the world. Armed with those refinements, researchers have slashed their estimates of the amount of economically and technologically recoverable coal by two-thirds from '90s-era forecasts. When the UBC researchers analyzed the worst-case scenario for 21st century carbon dioxide emissions, using the revised coal estimates, they found that CO2 emissions fell dramatically."

However:

" 'Even the low-end climate scenarios (e.g. RCP 2.6) would entail significant and widespread climate impacts, so we don't need to invoke the worst case (extremely high coal) scenarios to know that the world is in serious trouble if coal burning continues unabated,' Pushker Kharecha, a climate scientist at Columbia University's Earth Institute, wrote in an email.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ign=buffer
31-05-2017, 08:52 AM
This is slightly different but it still pertains to climate change..

Trump poised to quit Paris deal

Oh no. He's here - God
[+] 1 user Likes Cypher44's post
31-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Quelle surprise.

[Image: 3rhgyg.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson