Climate Change - General Discussion
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
13-06-2017, 06:40 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
Earth Is Not in the Midst of a Sixth Mass Extinction - The Atlantic
https://apple.news/ADXsxhGkQQA2JP3SElO59qg

1) the numbers given here really bring home the realities of human overpopulation

2) part of the reason this geologist argues we're not in a mass extinction is because if we are it's already too late (whether not it's too late is irrelevant to the truth)

3) this isn't directly about climate change

Quote:Wildlife accounts for only 3 percent of earth’s land animals—human beings, our livestock, and our pets take up the remaining 97 percent”

I understand and respect that this geologist wants be cautious with his language but as a lay person that seems like a stunning encroachment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
13-06-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 09:28 AM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(13-06-2017 06:40 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Wildlife accounts for only 3 percent of earth’s land animals—human beings, our livestock, and our pets take up the remaining 97 percent”

I understand and respect that this geologist wants be cautious with his language but as a lay person that seems like a stunning encroachment.

Yes, habitat destruction and encroachment are real threats to various species.

Rainforests and coral reefs are especially vulnerable to just a few degrees Celsius in temperature changes, and they are necessary environments for a great number of the world's species. So climate change is also a real threat to the total number of species. Climate change may yet lead to another mass extinction event.

Some scientists estimate that between 15% and 37% of species will be committed to extinction by 2050 "on the basis of mid-range climate-warming scenarios."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v42...02121.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2017, 10:17 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
it's a common complaint but just cattle

Carbon is released when the land is cleared. Other plant and animal life is largely destroyed. Then the cows fart methane. It's a double catastrophe. Biodiversity ecocide coupled with global warming. And I love beef.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
13-06-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(13-06-2017 10:17 AM)ImFred Wrote:  And I love beef.

Yeah, me too unfortunately. Still, the decline in eating red meats is already having a measurable effect. At least I think I read that somewhere recently....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 11:38 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
As someone who used to be a right-wing conservative (mostly due to my religious ties), it it amazing now to see how utterly silly the average climate change denier acts when the subject comes up.

It's like ANY discussion of anything remotely linked to climate change insults them personally. And I'm not even talking discussion of carbon emissions or ice caps melting, I mean things like water levels that have no debate because you can see them clearly with the naked eye. And these people flip the hell out proclaiming it's just "alarmists".

If water supply issues do not cause some of these numbnuts to at the very least take pause, then they are so far beyond hopeless it's not funny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
14-06-2017, 11:51 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
First, they (the deniers) said "There's no such thing as global warming." http://climatechangedispatch.com/why-the...l-warming/

Then they said, "Now you call it climate change, but there's no such thing." http://www.climate-skeptic.com/2008/06/w...hange.html

Then they said, "Well, maybe there is some climate change, but it has to do with volcanoes/cow farts/the sun cycles, nothing to do with human activity." https://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?id=454 and http://timeforchange.org/are-cows-cause-...ethane-CO2

Then they said, "It might be some human activity, but probably not much." http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environ...man-caused

Then they said, "Yes, it's human activity that's causing it, and it's good for the planet and the human race." https://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/10/carry-on-warming/

In short, deniers are just like religious folk: their stories change and they make more shit up when the evidence just keeps piling up against them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
14-06-2017, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 01:27 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(14-06-2017 11:51 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  In short, deniers are just like religious folk: their stories change and they make more shit up when the evidence just keeps piling up against them.

Delay tactics.

These days I assume people deliberately lie when it is to their advantage. That's what the Trump presidency has taught me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 01:53 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(14-06-2017 11:51 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  First, they (the deniers) said "There's no such thing as global warming." http://climatechangedispatch.com/why-the...l-warming/

Then they said, "Now you call it climate change, but there's no such thing." http://www.climate-skeptic.com/2008/06/w...hange.html

Then they said, "Well, maybe there is some climate change, but it has to do with volcanoes/cow farts/the sun cycles, nothing to do with human activity." https://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?id=454 and http://timeforchange.org/are-cows-cause-...ethane-CO2

Then they said, "It might be some human activity, but probably not much." http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environ...man-caused

Then they said, "Yes, it's human activity that's causing it, and it's good for the planet and the human race." https://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/10/carry-on-warming/

In short, deniers are just like religious folk: their stories change and they make more shit up when the evidence just keeps piling up against them.

They remind me of Republicans who stumped for Bush for 8 years, then after he was out of office acted like they never really liked him. And the same people are doing the same for Trump, after he's gone they'll act like they always hated him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2017, 11:29 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Ten percent of all of the electricity generated in the U.S. in March came from wind and solar power, marking the first such milestone in U.S. history, according to a new U.S. Energy Information Administration report."

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/wind-...arch-21541
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-06-2017, 03:57 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Global emissions of greenhouse gases from the power sector are expected to peak in 2026, but will still be some way above levels needed to limit temperature rises in line with the Paris climate agreement, research showed. Overall, $10.2 trillion will be invested in new global power generation between 2017 and 2040, with renewable power sources such as wind and solar accounting for almost three quarters of that, a report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) said."

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/globa...2026-21546
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: