Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 10:33 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"While coal usage worldwide for electriciy generation has accelerated over the past quarter-century as less-developed nations expanded their economies, that trend has leveled off lately. And in the U.S., coal-fired generation has dropped 25 percent since 2008. Europe is the midst of a movement to ease away from coal, in keeping with the 134-nation Paris climate accord reached last year. “They just don’t want coal in Europe,” said William Clough, chief executive of CUI Global (CUI), which monitors gas pipelines there. Cleaner and cheaper natural gas, propelled especially by the shale boom in the U.S., has stepped to the fore. While coal and gas both emit global-warming-inducing carbon dioxide, gas puts out half as much as coal."

a quote from "Why natural gas is the future -- not coal" by Larry Light, CBS Moneywatch
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-03-2017, 10:38 AM
We've got a serious problem here in Ontario, Canada, with wind turbines.

The provincial government signed long-term sweetheart contracts with overseas manufacturers and forces local municipalities to take them even when those municipalities don't want them.

The most egregious example - and there are thousands of them to choose from - relates to a series of wind turbine generators placed within proximity to two local airports. Source: Ontario residents fight wind turbines planned near Collingwood airport

The town didn't want them. Local residents didn't want them. The airport authority didn't want them (and commissioned a study showing that they're a navigation hazard to small aircraft). Local businesses didn't want them.

The provincial government is going ahead with them anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
15-03-2017, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 11:41 AM by SYZ.)
(14-03-2017 05:33 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I would think your preferred alternative energy source in Australia would be solar, considering. Why isn't that the case?

Theoretically, unconcentrated photovoltaic panels can only have a maximum efficiency of around 55% at best.

Last year, Aussie engineers came closer than ever to this theoretical limit of sunlight-to-electricity conversion, by building photovoltaic cells that can harvest 34.5% of solar energy without concentrators, and which is the highest in the world.

One of the major issues in a country like Australia is, of course, the major size of the continent and the excessive distances separating its major cities, which makes distribution a critical factor in costing.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
15-03-2017, 10:56 AM
(15-03-2017 10:24 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 09:40 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Over the last 2 years my system is generating an average of about 324 KWH a month. That equates to about $32 a month in savings on our utility bill. The system paid for itself in 14 months. Everything after that is gravy.

I understand that I got a deal, and most people would spend a lot more than I did, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me that a better than 20% reduction in our household electrical consumption over the 20 year lifespan of my solar panels isn't a net positive for for everybody. Especially considering that a lot of the power consumed around these parts is generated in coal fired plants.

I do admire your ingenuity but for the vast, vast majority of people, a system like yours won't pay off for decades when you factor in the extra cost of home insurance and, depending upon your jurisdiction, the higher property taxes.

As well, the carbon emissions and poisons used/created by the manufacture and transport of the solar panels themselves hasn't been worked into your equation.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for reducing carbon emissions and uncoupling from a government-controlled (or privately controlled) grid whenever possible, both to save money and maintain one's independence. It's just that there are many hidden costs and wastes to solar panels (and wind power generators) that are too often ignored.

My brother has a large solar installation done by professional contractors. His insurance has not changed a bit. Niether has his taxes.
Becuase he used panels and an inverter made here in Washington state, he gets a preferential reimbursement rate that will pay off his entire $45,000 system in 5 years.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
15-03-2017, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 11:07 AM by Kaneda.)
(15-03-2017 10:21 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Dude, thought I ought to let you know that ad hominem attacks are actually permitted on this site except in the personal issues and support and the introduction threads. Also as far as I'm aware individual members who are not mods or admins don't get to dictate rules of conduct even for threads they start themselves.
Hopefully every one will be productive in discussion but unless rules have changed suddenly this is something you need to be aware of. Good luck in what looks like shaping up to be an interesting thread, I'm looking forward to reading it. Regards Adey.

My bad. I see disclaimers like that on message boards all the time and thought it would be a good stylistic add-in. And apologies if I sounded presumptuous; I meant them more as suggestions than actual rules, but I can have that blurb taken down if it goes over then line.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
15-03-2017, 11:04 AM
At work.

Sorry for late post.

Just a question, sorry no time for search/review.

In previous post was mentioned 'Poison' and 'Cost' of solar panels.

Might some one know of and post any good information on production/making of said items?

Cheers! Thumbsup
15-03-2017, 11:07 AM
(15-03-2017 09:30 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  I've been filling my head with this stuff in the past several months by talking to people and reading periodicals.

If you are looking for a good book on the science, I can recommend Dire Predictions: Understanding Climate Change by Michael Mann and Lee Kump of Penn State University. The book summarizes the major points from the latest IPCC report, and includes many helpful graphics. Among the dozen or so books on climate change I have read so far, it is the best in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Dire-Predictions-...ate+change
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-03-2017, 11:08 AM
(15-03-2017 11:04 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Sorry for late post.

Just a question, sorry no time for search/review.

In previous post was mentioned 'Poison' and 'Cost' of solar panels.

Might some one know of and post any good information on production/making of said items?

Cheers! Thumbsup
I'm curious too.
That kind of arguement is similar to the logic used by the lobbyists who are actively trying to reduce the EPA to a shell of its former self, and increase the allowed CO2 on new cars in the US.
It was addressed early on in the thead, but we are stiffed with the Trump, and have to go forward knowing that we will loose ground that won't be made up for decades. Sad
15-03-2017, 11:24 AM
(15-03-2017 08:02 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  ... Some models say a 4 degree C temperature rise will result in a 10 meter sea level rise. That would inundate the homes of nearly a billion people. Where do you think they are going to go?

There's some interesting—and concerning!—graphic comparisons of a rising sea level effect in Sydney, London, New York City, and Shanghai.

Check them out HERE. [scroll down]
Shocking

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
15-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Yikes!
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post