Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2017, 04:16 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
"Top scientists say it was already likely that Earth’s temperatures and the world’s seas will keep rising to a point where some island states may not survive through the next 100 years. That likelihood increases, they say, if the United States doesn’t follow through on promised cuts in heat-trapping carbon dioxide emissions. President Donald Trump this month said he’d withdraw the United States from the climate deal , prompting leaders of vulnerable islands to talk about their future with a mixture of defiance, hope and resignation."

https://apnews.com/0e8ff5eda71646989acb0...ign=buffer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2017, 07:14 AM
It's going to get to a point fairly quick, when not meeting certain climate goals will be seen as an act of war against certain countries.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-06-2017, 08:04 AM
(25-06-2017 07:14 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It's going to get to a point fairly quick, when not meeting certain climate goals will be seen as an act of war against certain countries.

I can certainly see the U.S. getting sanctioned by other countries for ignoring climate change.

I can also see certain countries going to war over dwindling resources, especially water.

And who knows what will happen when environmental refugees are much more common later this century.
25-06-2017, 10:12 AM
This guy is making it so I can almost forgive the French for refusing to follow first world bathing standards out of some sick sadistic arrogant aristocratic principle. You want to help the environment? Start with a bath.

#sigh
27-06-2017, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 10:24 AM by Kaneda.)
(25-06-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This guy is making it so I can almost forgive the French for refusing to follow first world bathing standards out of some sick sadistic arrogant aristocratic principle.

I take it you're not very fond of Schwarzenegger, then?

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
27-06-2017, 08:36 PM
You can never go wrong with Potholer54's climate change videos

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-06-2017, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2017 04:13 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-06-2017 08:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  You can never go wrong with Potholer54's climate change videos

This is an excellent video, showing how climate science is over-simplified by the left and distorted by the right. I find it especially ironic that people on the right criticise the left's over-simplifications of the science while still managing to contradict almost all the climate scientists out there, but I guess that goes with their narrative that all the science is distorted by politics.

This makes me wonder, how much denialism is based on people's misunderstandings of a complex subject and how much is because of deliberate distortions? I assume most is very deliberate, since summaries of real scientific conclusions on the subject are so readily available these days, prepared by the climate scientists themselves.
28-06-2017, 08:13 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com...ornia.html

Big ass fires out west.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
05-07-2017, 06:42 AM
"If you look closely at the Paris agreement, you’ll notice a curious contradiction. The text commits the world’s governments to limiting global warming to no more than 2C above preindustrial levels. But, strangely enough, the emissions reductions it lays out don’t actually get us there. Far from it. Even if all the world’s countries meet their targets (which is very unlikely, since the targets are non-binding) if we do nothing else we’ll still be hurtling toward more than 3C of global warming, and possibly as high as 4.4C. Way over the threshold."

"What might our planet look like if it warms by 4C? No one can say for certain, but projections show that this level of warming is likely to bring about heatwaves not seen on Earth for 5m years. Southern Europe could dry up into a desert. Sea levels could rise by 1.2 meters before the century is out, drowning cities like Amsterdam and New York. Furthermore, 40% of species will be at risk of extinction. Most of our rainforests will wither away. Crop yields could collapse by 35%, destabilising the world’s food system and triggering widespread famine. In short, a 4C world looks very bleak indeed."

https://www.theguardian.com/global-devel...ign=buffer
05-07-2017, 10:31 AM
"Though most humans take for granted the relative constancy of an Earth-like climate, our planet has undergone dramatic changes in its 4.5-billion-year history. During the Great Oxygenation Event, around 2.5 billion years ago, photosynthetic cyanobacteria fueled a huge rise in oxygen in the atmosphere. Around 650 million years ago, the entire planet froze, in a phenomenon known as "snowball Earth." And during the dinosaur age, the planet was, on average 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) hotter than it is now, with a carbon dioxide-rich atmosphere. And huge "carbon excursions" have led to massive extinctions in the past — such as the end-Permian extinction around 252 million years ago, when roughly 95 percent of sea life died out due to ocean acidification."

https://www.livescience.com/59693-could-...venus.html