Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 09:06 AM by Kaneda.)
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(02-08-2017 06:23 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "Recently [Helen] Harwatt and a team of scientists from Oregon State University, Bard College, and Loma Linda University calculated just what would happen if every American made one dietary change: substituting beans for beef. They found that if everyone were willing and able to do that—hypothetically—the U.S. could still come close to meeting its 2020 greenhouse-gas emission goals, pledged by President Barack Obama in 2009. That is, even if nothing about our energy infrastructure or transportation system changed—and even if people kept eating chicken and pork and eggs and cheese—this one dietary change could achieve somewhere between 46 and 74 percent of the reductions needed to meet the target."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ef/535536/

^^^Thank you for bringing this into the spotlight. I became a vegetarian a couple of months ago for just this reason, having decided I should do something for all the concern I was giving about this issue. It has been easier than I expected, and has probably been one of the quickest ways I've found to scale back my own footprint.

I'm not one to get on my soapbox and preach, but I really think this is a doable commitment for most people, and we could accomplish a lot if we each told five friends, and they told five friends, etc... I've been recommending this sort of thing to people I know who are the least bit environmentally conscious. If you're reading this, you've probably already given this some thought. Let me know below if you're already on board with this; I'm behind anyone who wants to do their part and switch out beef, or get creative and start cutting out meat in general. Okay, walking away now...

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
04-08-2017, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 01:12 PM by Kaneda.)
Meat Industry Blamed for Largest ever 'Dead Zone' in Gulf of Mexico

"The global meat industry, already implicated in driving global warming and deforestation, has now been blamed for fueling what is expected to be the worst “dead zone” on record in the Gulf of Mexico.

It is expected that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) will this week announce the largest ever recorded dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico. It is expected to be larger than the nearly 8,200 square-mile area that was forecast for July – an expanse of water roughly the size of New Jersey."

"The US is an enormous consumer of meat, with the average American chewing through 211lbs in 2015. A study released earlier this year found that US beef consumption fell by nearly one fifth from 2005 to 2014, possibly due to concerns over health or the environment. A new increase is now expected.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, beef and pork production is forecast to grow significantly over the next decade, driven by lower feed costs and healthy demand. By 2025, the average American is expected to eat 219lbs of meat a year. Just 3% of Americans follow a vegetarian or vegan diet."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...-pollution

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
08-08-2017, 05:42 AM
U.S. GLOBAL CHANGE RESEARCH PROGRAM CLIMATE SCIENCE SPECIAL REPORT (CSSR)
545 page pdf file in case this administration tries to quash it. https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914641/Draft-of-the-Climate-Science-Special-Report.pdf

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
(08-08-2017 05:42 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  U.S. GLOBAL CHANGE RESEARCH PROGRAM CLIMATE SCIENCE SPECIAL REPORT (CSSR)
545 page pdf file in case this administration tries to quash it. https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914641/Draft-of-the-Climate-Science-Special-Report.pdf

Thanks for the reference, but I couldn't get the link to work.
13-08-2017, 05:02 AM
"What becomes clear to anyone following the climate debate, however, is that hardly any climate skeptics are in fact trying to get at the truth. I’m not a climate scientist, but I do know what bogus arguments look like — and I can’t think of a single prominent climate skeptic who isn’t obviously arguing in bad faith."

From The Axis of Climate Evil by Paul Krugman

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/opini...&smtyp=cur