Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 04:25 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(15-03-2017 12:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  Assuming we can gather the political will, is it practical to think of transitioning the entire world off fossil fuel? I mean, we have nuclear power. We have all these other alternative energy sources. *Could* we, theoretically, ditch oil, coal and natural gas completely?

Yes, we could. I've always said that the only way for a vast, thinly-populated continent like Australia to go is nuclear power generation. But there's massive resistance from the wider population to go that way—led largely by the greenies and their overstated, sensationalist claims of its purported dangers.

We already have part of the generating infrastructure built across the country—steam turbines and high-tension transmission lines. After all, the thing we're talking about here is simply converting water to steam, and reusing it with existing condensers and/or cooling ponds.

Australia has 33% of the world's known uranium deposits and is the world's 3rd largest producer of uranium after Canada and Kazakhstan.

A 2009 McNair Gallup poll asked the question "Do you favour or oppose the construction of nuclear power stations in Australia?" 49% of respondents were in favour, with 43% opposed, and 8% undecided.

A 2014 SACOME (South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy) poll asked respondents to rate "their level of support" for nuclear power. 48% totally supported it, 33% opposed it, and 19% were neutral.

It really pisses me off that the greenies invariably and predictably mention two words whenever they're speaking publicly in opposition to nuclear power generation in Australia—Chernobyl, and Fukushima.

The engineering technology that was being used at Chernobyl is now 60+ years old, and—obviously—there's been major developments made since 1956. It was caused solely by operator error. Fukushima Daiichi was caused—as all we know—primarily by the tsunami that followed the Tōhoku earthquake, during which 30m waves broke over the 10m protective seawall and flooded the reactors' emergency diesel generators.

Despite both these (preventable) disasters, my vote still goes to nuclear power generation.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
15-03-2017, 05:35 PM
(15-03-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  People with a net worth in the tens of millions that live in 8000 square homes don't live under the same constraints you and I are subject to.

Yup. That explains it...

Same reason to drive a $50,000 hybrid - not for economics or actual concern for the environment -- smugness......

"Gee - ain't I green???"

Fuck ostentatious cunts with 8000 sq ft houses, bragging their "greenness"...

The richest person I know is also one of the most interesting personal stories I know. Born into a wealthy family he was the son of an Arab (not Persian) Iranian Sheik. That's not where he got his money though. He left home as teenager in the late 60's without much more than the cloths on his back after one of his brothers tried to kill him. His family had a long tradition of brothers murdering brothers and sons murdering fathers. He didn't want any part of it so he got out.

He made his way to the US in the early 70s, and worked his why through college sweeping floors. Then he got a job as an engineer and learned his trade. In the 80s he started his own company, and made his own money solving difficult problems that other people either couldn't solve or didn't want to tackle.

His homes (he owns several) don't have solar panels, and he doesn't drive a Tesla. His tastes run more towards the Bentleys and Ferraris that fill his garages. I doubt very seriously if he cares what you or anybody else thinks about the lifestyle he lives or how he chooses to spend his money.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-03-2017, 05:54 PM
(15-03-2017 05:35 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup. That explains it...

Same reason to drive a $50,000 hybrid - not for economics or actual concern for the environment -- smugness......

"Gee - ain't I green???"

Fuck ostentatious cunts with 8000 sq ft houses, bragging their "greenness"...

The richest person I know is also one of the most interesting personal stories I know. Born into a wealthy family he was the son of an Arab (not Persian) Iranian Sheik. That's not where he got his money though. He left home as teenager in the late 60's without much more than the cloths on his back after one of his brothers tried to kill him. His family had a long tradition of brothers murdering brothers and sons murdering fathers. He didn't want any part of it so he got out.

He made his way to the US in the early 70s, and worked his why through college sweeping floors. Then he got a job as an engineer and learned his trade. In the 80s he started his own company, and made his own money solving difficult problems that other people either couldn't solve or didn't want to tackle.

His homes (he owns several) don't have solar panels, and he doesn't drive a Tesla. His tastes run more towards the Bentleys and Ferraris that fill his garages. I doubt very seriously if he cares what you or anybody else thinks about the lifestyle he lives or how he chooses to spend his money.

Sounds like a good dude. Smart, resourceful and driven.

And has exactly nothing to do with the conversation.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-03-2017, 06:04 PM
(15-03-2017 05:35 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  His homes (he owns several) don't have solar panels, and he doesn't drive a Tesla. His tastes run more towards the Bentleys and Ferraris that fill his garages. I doubt very seriously if he cares what you or anybody else thinks about the lifestyle he lives or how he chooses to spend his money.

A big part of the problem of changing people's minds about climate change, at least in America, comes from our idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches. We need to change our cultural assumptions in a big way.
15-03-2017, 06:14 PM
(15-03-2017 05:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And has exactly nothing to do with the conversation.

You're the one that said, "Fuck ostentatious cunts with 8000 sq ft houses, bragging their "greenness"..." in response to my post about people living in 8000 square foot homes. What I said before that is that people with $1200 a month electric bills could save money over the long term by putting in a $45,000 solar system. I didn't say they should do it for bragging rights about how green they lived.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-03-2017, 06:23 PM
(15-03-2017 06:04 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 05:35 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  His homes (he owns several) don't have solar panels, and he doesn't drive a Tesla. His tastes run more towards the Bentleys and Ferraris that fill his garages. I doubt very seriously if he cares what you or anybody else thinks about the lifestyle he lives or how he chooses to spend his money.

A big part of the problem of changing people's minds about climate change, at least in America, comes from our idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches. We need to change our cultural assumptions in a big way.

I'm counting on a paradigm shift happening when extreme weather starts threatening food supplies. Then maybe, fucking maybe, the worship of material excesses will tip back a little and we'll finally start to see some real cuts in emissions. By then, we'll probably have no choice but to go down the much maligned geoengineering route to stave off the worst symptoms. The world ten years from now is going to be very different, whatever happens.

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
15-03-2017, 06:34 PM
(15-03-2017 06:04 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  

I don't see the connection between "idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches" and the minority opinion in the US that the climate changes we are currently experiencing are caused by humans. What I see is people being sold a false bill of goods by a well funded and experienced propaganda machine.

15-03-2017, 08:28 PM
(15-03-2017 06:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I don't see the connection between "idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches" and the minority opinion in the US that the climate changes we are currently experiencing are caused by humans. What I see is people being sold a false bill of goods by a well funded and experienced propaganda machine.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote, but the majority of Americans (68%) believe that climate change is caused by humans.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/03/15...ange-poll/

None of this has anything to do with propaganda. If Americans listened to their scientists, the percentage would be even higher.

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-03-2017, 12:10 AM
This ocean acidification thing... what are the consequences? I know coral dies. Does it have an impact beyond that? Do fish die? I've heard horror stories of vast floating masses of plastic the size of large countries too Confused I'm guessing the oceans are gonna take a hammering next few decades...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-03-2017, 02:23 AM
Quote:Do fish die?

Unfortunately. And when edible species go extinct famine strikes humanity.