Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(15-03-2017 08:28 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 06:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I don't see the connection between "idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches" and the minority opinion in the US that the climate changes we are currently experiencing are caused by humans. What I see is people being sold a false bill of goods by a well funded and experienced propaganda machine.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote, but the majority of Americans (68%) believe that climate change is caused by humans.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/03/15...ange-poll/

None of this has anything to do with propaganda. If Americans listened to their scientists, the percentage would be even higher.

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Sorry, I said that wrong. I was trying to say the climate change deniers are the minority. They are the ones that are buying into the propaganda that climate change isn't caused by humans. I don't see the connection between their beliefs and idolizing rich people.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
16-03-2017, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 08:54 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(16-03-2017 06:51 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I don't see the connection between their beliefs and idolizing rich people.

What I originally intended to convey was that among the various ways we can deal with climate change as individuals, one is to stop idolizing the wealthy and acquisitive. The saying "Live simply so others can simply live" is not just a nice bumper sticker. It will become more true as time passes and the effects of climate change intensify.

“ ‘Science’ won’t fix the climate, but listening to scientists would help. If we want to avoid living on a superheated planet (or a deliberately geoengineered world), the best thing we can do is cut our consumption, buy clean energy, eat less meat,” explained Jeff Goodell, author of "How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth’s Climate," in a Slate interview.

From "New CO2 record: Is it time to geo-engineer our planet?" by Charlie Wood at the Christian Science Monitor https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/20...our-planet
16-03-2017, 09:03 AM
"Antarctica is one of the world's toughest places to collect data, and Greenland isn't far behind. Yet we need to know how fast these ice sheets are melting to better understand rates and variations of sea level rise around the world. Scientists studying ice sheets and glaciers were among the first to start working with GRACE data to extract the information they needed. ... Since GRACE launched, its measurements show Greenland has been losing about 280 gigatons of ice per year on average — a bit less than twice the weight of Mt. Everest — and Antarctica has lost slightly under 120 gigatons a year. There are indications that both melt rates are increasing."

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2563/grace...-on-earth/
16-03-2017, 11:17 AM
(15-03-2017 06:23 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 06:04 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  A big part of the problem of changing people's minds about climate change, at least in America, comes from our idolization of professional success as exemplified by the accumulation of unnecessary riches. We need to change our cultural assumptions in a big way.

I'm counting on a paradigm shift happening when extreme weather starts threatening food supplies. Then maybe, fucking maybe, the worship of material excesses will tip back a little and we'll finally start to see some real cuts in emissions. By then, we'll probably have no choice but to go down the much maligned geoengineering route to stave off the worst symptoms. The world ten years from now is going to be very different, whatever happens.

Completely agree
It's going to take some really HOT summers from which people can't work or play outside and even then they will just try to band-aid the problem.

I think crops dying off and food shortages will be first sign. When you can't feed your animals, meat prices will skyrocket. Restaurants will go out of business. Ocean life will begin to die off and you'll have a huge spike in transportation costs.

You all can fill in the other dominos.

By the time they realize that something drastic needs to happen, it's going to be 50 years too late.

They really needed to cut things off 40 years ago.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
16-03-2017, 12:31 PM
(16-03-2017 11:17 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 06:23 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I'm counting on a paradigm shift happening when extreme weather starts threatening food supplies. Then maybe, fucking maybe, the worship of material excesses will tip back a little and we'll finally start to see some real cuts in emissions. By then, we'll probably have no choice but to go down the much maligned geoengineering route to stave off the worst symptoms. The world ten years from now is going to be very different, whatever happens.

Completely agree
It's going to take some really HOT summers from which people can't work or play outside and even then they will just try to band-aid the problem.

I think crops dying off and food shortages will be first sign. When you can't feed your animals, meat prices will skyrocket. Restaurants will go out of business. Ocean life will begin to die off and you'll have a huge spike in transportation costs.

By the time they realize that something drastic needs to happen, it's going to be 50 years too late.

You don't need to cut them off - just snip the cords......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-03-2017, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 02:34 PM by Kaneda.)
This has been irking me for a while: are the United Nations or ANY intergovernmental organization thinking of a contingency plan to respond to the problems that are sure to come if things are as dire as RCP 8.5 or Guy McPherson say they are? I see things like geoengineering and vertical farming and other up-in-the-clouds ideas get thrown around once in a while, but I'm completely in the dark about real real policy proposals.

Are we peasants being kept in the dark while some international cabal concocts a mischievous plan to kill off 99.9% of the populations with genetically engineering pandemics, is some controversial geoengineering/chemtrail conspiracy happening right under our noses to slow down catastrophe, or are most of our world leaders just nihilists who want to get a kick out of watching things burn?

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
16-03-2017, 02:20 PM
(16-03-2017 12:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You don't need to cut them off - just snip the cords......

Can you elaborate on that one?

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
16-03-2017, 02:33 PM
(16-03-2017 02:13 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  This has been irking me for a while: are the United Nations or ANY intergovernmental organization thinking of a contingency plan to respond to the problems that are sure to come if things are as dire as RCP 8.5 or Guy McPherson say they are?

They can't even manage the Syrian refugees, so I will say NO. No
16-03-2017, 03:04 PM
(16-03-2017 11:17 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Completely agree

Well, it's already begun.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-03-2017, 03:10 PM
(16-03-2017 03:04 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, it's already begun.

"More than 90 percent of the warming that has happened on Earth over the past 50 years has occurred in the ocean."

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/un...at-content
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post