Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yesterday, 10:07 PM
RE: Climate Change - General Discussion
(Yesterday 06:34 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  If there is any remaining doubt that Donald Trump is evil:

"In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Donald Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels. The U.S. will impose duties of as much as 30 percent on solar equipment made abroad, a move that threatens to handicap a $28 billion industry that relies on parts made abroad for 80 percent of its supply. Just the mere threat of tariffs has shaken solar developers in recent months, with some hoarding panels and others stalling projects in anticipation of higher costs. The Solar Energy Industries Association has projected tens of thousands of job losses in a sector that employed 260,000. The tariffs are just the latest action Trump has taken that undermine the economics of renewable energy. The administration has already decided to pull the U.S. out of the international Paris climate agreement, rolled back Obama-era regulations on power plant-emissions and passed sweeping tax reforms that constrained financing for solar and wind. The import taxes, however, will prove to be the most targeted strike on the industry yet."

http://time.com/5113472/donald-trump-sol...el-tariff/

What's his justification? ETA: Never mind I found it. Trade war with China Facepalm

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
Today, 12:35 AM
Yeah, and whatcha gonna do when you know you are losing a war?
Right: scorched earth. Smartass

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
Today, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: Today 05:01 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(Yesterday 10:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  What's his justification? ETA: Never mind I found it. Trade war with China Facepalm

Well, Trump obviously isn't really interested in saving Americans jobs, since there are more to be had installing solar panels these days. The solar market largely depends on cheap solar panels made in China, since the U.S. already lost the battle over who makes them best and cheapest.

Trump is pro-fossil fuels and anti-alternative energy. He's also against climate science. This makes him the biggest single political threat to climate action in the world today. See below.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
Today, 04:59 AM
The Trump administration's anti-science actions:

"Columbia University and the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund today launched an online tracker of the Trump administration's crackdown on climate science. The project, called the Silencing Science Tracker, has so far assembled 96 entries of federal restrictions or prohibitions on climate science since November 2016. The database is built from media reports, and it's searchable by agency, date and type of action. More than half the entries are listed as censorship, either from government restriction or researchers who are self-censoring. Other instances include targeted personnel changes, budget cuts and other federal actions aimed at minimizing or hindering climate research. The project also links to resources for whistleblowers and legal help. Plans are underway to expand the project to states."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ign=buffer

http://columbiaclimatelaw.com/resources/...e-science/
Today, 05:27 AM
I sometimes wonder why denialists don't see the benefits of working to make a better environment. Then my inner historian wakes up.

[Image: hanley_1930_times.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post