Climate Change and Diplomatic Intervention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 01:02 AM by Kaneda.)
Climate Change and Diplomatic Intervention
Outside of the United States, developing economies are investing billions in renewable energy production. Even nations like China and India, who have a larger net GHG footprint than the US, understand it's in their rational self interest to curb global warming, or do their darndest to adapt to its deleterious effects. I'm interested to know how the dynamic between the US and its neighbors going to play out as China and Co. clean up their act while we continue getting pimped out to oil barons.

Right now industrial activity in the US might have just a marginal effect on the current rate of change, but as the atmosphere continues to heat up and life on earth becomes more inhospitable, the USA, whose climate-denying leaders appear more insane with each passing year, are going to be easy scapegoats. Will our neighbors try to intervene so our GHG gluttony doesn't drag the rest of the world down with us? It seems excessive, using coercive diplomacy or outright force to protect the environment, but then we don't have rational people at the helm of our public policy, so weirder things are sure to happen.

“We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities... still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.” ~Darwin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2017, 08:50 AM
RE: Climate Change and Diplomatic Intervention
It's going to start with sanctions against the US when they don't make progress towards reducing green houses gases (GHG).

Then in the years to come GHG will be considered weapons of mass destruction.

If change doesn't happen, then surgical war will need to happen in order to save the human species from extinction.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
25-01-2017, 09:05 AM
I've posted this link before but I think it's worth reviewing.

A 2013 Princeton study suggests that even if the entire human race stopped emitting CO2 today, the earth would continue to warm. This confirms a 2010-2011 research study by the University of Washington.

In short, we are already past the tipping point.

The issue now is damage mitigation: move people inland, develop hybrid crops that can grow in flooded/arid areas, research into tropical diseases that continue to spread, etc. etc. Trying to stop climate change now is money poorly spent, efforts poorly made.

That's not to suggest that we give up on reducing CO2, but it is to suggest that the majority of our efforts should go in a different direction.
25-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm not denying how screwed we are given the scale and momentum of this crisis, or that at best we can hope for minimal returns from carbon offsetting. But there's going to be a lot of finger pointing as things continue to degrade for a millions of people. If we don't clean up our act soon we're going to look pretty villainous to most of the world, and rival nations could frame our evil GHG emitting ways as grounds for "humanitarian invasion," so they they can stake a claim to our resources.

Though I couldn't say what the outcome would be if anyone was crazy enough to attempt a ground invasion or surgical strike. Biological warfare seems scarily plausible though.

“We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities... still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.” ~Darwin
25-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Well, Trump just ordered the EPA to remove mentions of climate change from its website. https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e-webpage/

So it appears the new "American" strategy is to just ignore it and hope it goes away on its own.

Censored

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-01-2017, 11:24 AM
(25-01-2017 11:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, Trump just ordered the EPA to remove mentions of climate change from its website. https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e-webpage/

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me in the least.

More Trump lies, the arrest of journalists, ordering Federal agencies to stop communicating with the public and the press... This is not going to end well.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
25-01-2017, 11:30 AM
I think that deep down, I kind of thought that Trump couldn't or wouldn't do a lot of the extremely stupid and crazy shit he proposed he would and that he was just spouting off that stupid shit to get elected. But thus far, it has been worse than I would have ever imagined it could be for his first fucking week.

Limits what the EPA can say to the press and public. Then tells the EPA to freeze grants. Then tells them to scrub mentions of Climate Change after having already done so on the Whitehouse page. Meanwhile he has also opened back up the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines and has tried to reinstate a Reagan-era abortion restriction. And rumor now has it that he wants to limit visas from Muslim majority countries and end the refugee program! And that is on top of the stiff penalties for the protesters and reports of people being denied entry from Canada to protest. This mother fucker is sure trying his damnedest to be a fascist dictator.

-Rick
25-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Fucking fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

This orange asshole is going to send us back to the Dark Ages. It will be remembered in history books as the "Orange Ages."

That is assuming that humanity survives it...

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-01-2017, 11:42 AM
I live on a peninsula.

Looks like I am going to get that waterfront property I always wanted.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
25-01-2017, 11:54 AM
(25-01-2017 11:42 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I live on a peninsula.

Looks like I am going to get that waterfront property I always wanted.

It's not waterfront property if it is part of the intertidal zone

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post