Climate Change and Diplomatic Intervention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: Climate Change and Diplomatic Intervention
(25-01-2017 11:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, Trump just ordered the EPA to remove mentions of climate change from its website. https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e-webpage/

So it appears the new "American" strategy is to just ignore it and hope it goes away on its own.

Censored

Maybe he is setting the nation up for his little-known Earth, Wind and Fire-tribute band, Dust, Whirlwind and Forestfire?

[Image: Donald-Trump-Weight-Loss-Jimmy-Fallon-Video-300x204.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2017, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 05:26 PM by Kaneda.)
I'm not big on making this a solely political thread; it's of more sociological interest to me than anything. I had been compulsively checking climate news on and off for months and tried to guess how this would effect us and our decision making as things move forward. Now, I try not to get too spun up about future trends, but I'm pretty sure dirty energy is going to get incredibly unpopular as climate changes effects become more manifest. Externalities aside, I'm weighing two possibile ways this could end; we slowly get off the poison on our own initiative as the realities of climate change degrade public attempts to control information and public policy at home, or other nations force change on us through prohibitive measures of varying severity. I think the outcome would depend a lot on where we are in our unraveling of the biosphere and how fast things are falling apart when drastic measures go down.

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
26-01-2017, 10:43 AM
I dont even know how to describe the level of sadness, disappointment, and disbelief in how the new US administration is dealing with this stuff. This is a communal world; we share it with so many others. I think its definitely their right to address the US directly and tell them to get in line. This is a serious issue and someone needs to put the US in check.
26-01-2017, 10:47 AM
(25-01-2017 02:52 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I'm not big on making this a solely political thread; it's of more sociological interest to me than anything. I had been compulsively checking climate news on and off for months and tried to guess how this would effect us and our decision making as things move forward. Now, I try not to get too spun up about future trends, but I'm pretty sure dirty energy is going to get incredibly unpopular as climate changes effects become more manifest. Externalities aside, I'm weighing two possibile ways this could end; we slowly get off the poison on our own initiative as the realities of climate change degrade public attempts to control information and public policy at home, or other nations force change on us through prohibitive measures of varying severity. I think the outcome would depend a lot on where we are in our unraveling of the biosphere and how fast things are falling apart when drastic measures go down.

Facts should never be political, scientists don't want that, but it is, and if we don't bitch slap the fucking morons on the right who deny it, our planet will pay for it and so will our species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Which is why if you are in a house that's on fire and people are actively trying to stop you from putting out the fire, you need to eliminate those people in order to save everyone in the house.

Kind of like an alternative trolley car experiment.
Trolley car is on a collision course with five people who can't escape from the tracks.
There is a switch that will divert the trolley onto a set of tracks that is empty.
Some jackass stands in your way from flipping a switch that will save those five people.

Do you kill the jackass ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
01-02-2017, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2017 07:39 PM by Kaneda.)
Once we've reached the point that global warming has flooded and emptied out coastal cities, will we still have the means to maintain a functioning Democratic society? The ensuing demographic shifts from the cities to the flyover states could mean we have a ton of red districts flipping to blue after a few more election cycles.

01-02-2017, 06:27 PM
(26-01-2017 12:14 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Which is why if you are in a house that's on fire and people are actively trying to stop you from putting out the fire, you need to eliminate those people in order to save everyone in the house.

Kind of like an alternative trolley car experiment.
Trolley car is on a collision course with five people who can't escape from the tracks.
There is a switch that will divert the trolley onto a set of tracks that is empty.
Some jackass stands in your way from flipping a switch that will save those five people.

Do you kill the jackass ?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2017, 06:31 PM
(25-01-2017 11:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, Trump just ordered the EPA to remove mentions of climate change from its website. https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e-webpage/

So it appears the new "American" strategy is to just ignore it and hope it goes away on its own.

Censored

Disagree: the American strategy is to wait for the Rapture to come and let God/Jesus heal the earth with magic after the Tribulations.
01-02-2017, 09:18 PM
(01-02-2017 02:41 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Once we've reached the point that global warming has flooded and emptied out coastal cities, will we still have the means to maintain a functioning Democratic society? The ensuing demographic shifts from the cities to the flyover states could mean we have a ton of red districts flipping to blue after a few more election cycles.

And by extension, all that relocation is going to create a shit ton of jobs in infrastructure, right?

12-02-2017, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 05:37 PM by Kaneda.)
(delete)