Poll: Is climate change real
Yes, but humans have little to no impact on it
Yes, and humans are contributing in a meaningful way
No, just a hoax/conspiracy
I don't know
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate Change and the Human Influence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 09:36 PM
RE: Climate Change and the Human Influence
My dad thinks that it's a hoax. O.o

There's just no way it's a hoax. No one would be able to get away with making that up. It is something that can be observed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 10:20 PM
The lovely thing about science is that it's predictive. Here's a prediction:

- Normally, the strongest short-term climatic forcing is the ~11 year solar cycle.

- The last solar minimum (~2005 to 2010) was particularly quiet. Sunspots vanished from the face of the sun for months at a time and the upper atmosphere cooled by 100 degrees C and contracted by 50%. By contrast, surface temperatures were not unusually low, with many years amongst the top 10 hottest on record.

- The solar maximum that we are just leaving (~2010 to 2015) was not particularly active and has been nick-named the mini-max.

- The solar minimum that we are now entering is predicted to be even quieter than the previous one. If this is accurate then, in the absence of other significant climate change, we would expect global climate to cool significantly from 2016 through 2020.

- If, as most climate researchers now believe, anthropogenic CO2 emissions are now a more powerful climate forcing than the solar cycle then we would not expect 2016 through 2020 to be much cooler. If this prediction is accurate then anthropogenic CO2 is the dominant climate forcing and we are in deep trouble.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
10-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Climate Change and the Human Influence
Follow up question, why do you suck?

But nah yeah its happening and I am pretty much accepting it's concept that it's too late to even reverse. I think in large scale future accommodations, we need to work on accepting how to reroute and transfer living space and transportation.

Just be firmly clear don't expect or desire the 21st century to work on the map the 20th century that industrialized plans build.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-11-2016, 03:37 AM
Our climate is screwed.
CO2 levels beyond 400 ppm
Miami FL already dealing with high tide flooding.

Once the temps start killing crops, fruit trees and then livestock, people will take notice.
Hell it's already too late.

The death of humanity is on its way.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-11-2016, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 04:21 AM by Sturm.)
maybe some other factors have a light influence on it too, but denying the impact of human activity while studies show the global warming started steadily after the industrial revolution is almost a wishful thinking. People don't want to blame themselves for it, and they don't want to change their habits, so they prefer to deny the evidence.
It pisses me of and worries me a lot to see Trump denying it and wanting to withdraw from the Paris agreement on climate change. He is condemning the planet and humanity if he does that. The Paris agreement was already barely a start, far from enough to reverse the process Sad
11-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Last Christmas, my sister was in tears over her belief that the human species was going to delay the onset of the next ice age. I kid you not.

She has a degree in biology. She would be the perfect candidate for a climate science PhD.

Remember, it is all about simple physics. Religion has nothing to do with it.
11-11-2016, 08:19 AM
I maintain that the Transhumanist take on the issue is the most practical. Tech our way out of it. Even if there was a hypothetical way to avoid it at this point, the impossibility of not only getting the world to agree, but then enforcing that agreement, makes that solution irrelevant.

We need to anticipate the problems that are coming and find ways to circumvent them. If climate change is expected to make conventional farming practices inadequate, then we need to be working on advanced greenhouse technology. If radiation is going to be an issue, then we need to figure out how to genetically modify babies to be resistant to those changes.

And if we can't, and I end up eating any of you as I make the casual transition to cannibalism, don't take it personally. Just doing what I have to do until the food output capacity of the world aligns with the reduced population Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
11-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Huh, I expected there to be at least one person voting for something else for the heck of it. Good to see that everyone can acknowledge the scientific consensus on the matter.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-11-2016, 10:31 AM
(11-11-2016 08:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Huh, I expected there to be at least one person voting for something else for the heck of it. Good to see that everyone can acknowledge the scientific consensus on the matter.

If I really wanted to answer honestly, as an agnostic and firm believer in the consistent application of skepticism, I would have said "I don't know, but there is enough data pointing to humans as a factor that the most logical course of action would be to assume that this is the case and plan accordingly until new data indicates otherwise." But I figured for the purpose of a simple poll the answer everyone else chose more adequately communicated my opinion than "I don't know" would have without the above explanation to expand on it.

'Murican Canadian
11-11-2016, 11:34 AM
This should be of concern to US citizens. Excerpted from a list of sovereign states and territories by carbon dioxide emissions due to certain forms of human activity, based on the EDGAR database created by European Commission and Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency released in 2014. The following table lists the 2014 annual CO2 emissions estimates in thousands of CO2 tonnes [continues]

United States = 5,334,000kt
Australia = 409,000kt
Romania = 78,000kt

Also, the US is responsible for 15.6% of global greenhouse gas emissions (GGE)—compared with Australia's 1.3%—and second worst only to China at 22.7%. With more than three times the population of the US, China has only ¼ of the per capita GGEs.

—Trump's gonna have to pull his finger out ASAP, or risk the US becoming a global pariah—rather than a real global power.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.