Climate change meets ramadan. From NPR

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Climate change meets ramadan. From NPR
NPR article for the ramadan heat thing.

I was just down in the studio listening to the radio & NPR did a report on how ramadan just started, during which time Muslims are supposed to not eat or drink anything during daylight. The reporter says it's hard, because a lot of the country is so hot right now. I was kind of half listening at the time, so I just now sat down & read the article. The iman interviewed said when people call him asking if they can drink during the day, because they work outside or something, he says yes. That they can fast during a cooler time of the year.

Ok 2 things. First, I can't seem to generate any sympathy for people who will deny themselves liquid during a heat wave to show their amazingly reticent god how loyal they are. Second, isn't it cheating to do ramadan when it's cooler? Why not wait until you want to go on a diet anyway? Or after peach season? Or is this like changing your dr appt at short notice - you only get to do it if you have a really good excuse?

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
RE: Climate change meets ramadan. From NPR
To be fair alot of muslims are from hot countries where working outside and not being able to drink is potentially dangerous.

I used to work in the kitchen of a restaurant with some muslims and respect where respects due theres no way i could work 12+ hours in the heat of a kitchen during summer without taking a drink yet they managed it.
As far as i know its up to the imam at the mosque that they attend whether they can make exceptions depending on circumstances like sickness etc.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm just....irritated in some way I can't quite put my finger on that this is even a story. Ok let me try & think thru this migraine....

Part of the problem, for me, is that this is a story in which the participants seem somehow disciplined, or manly (in the case of the NBA player.) I think it's the implied message that doing something difficult for the sake of religion improves one's character. I've never liked the argument that religion or prayer gives people strength, it only helps them find the strength already in themselves, & there are routes to that which do not require religion. The NBA player's message is - you can be tough for god, if you fail at something else but succeed during ramadan, that's better as it's for god, & strength comes from outside. Oh yea, & if you're faithful to your god, you could be in the NBA (part of his success.) It's an endorsement of religion. At least the reporters are branching out past xtianity.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I completly agree with you. Strength comes from within. Religion may help them find that strength but it was always in them it wasnt given to them by a god. People really should give themselfs credit especially if they managed to over come an obstacle in their lifes. Be it overcoming an addiction, dealing with a death etc. Rather than putting it down to them being useless without the help of some god.
It is a bit selfish of the NBA player to put it down as his faith in god as part of his success forgetting that he wouldnt have gotten anywhere if it wasnt for the coaches who trained him, the rest of his teammates, the fans who support him and the team, His family or even whoever the person was that first got them into the game.
It does make a change for the whole islam is evil all muslims are extremists shit that the media has loved reporting on for the last 10 years.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]