Poll: Is climate change real?
Yes but human contribution is negligible
Yes and humans are part of it in a significant way
No. It's a conspiracy
No. God told me
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate denialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Climate denialism
It is rather interesting to me how many people deny climate change, and equally as perplexing are those that seem to buy that climate change is real but that humans have no discernible influence (because to do so would mean we are not acting in our own best interests). The best comparison to make is denial of evolution. There are those that deny it altogether and those who accept it but deny it for humans (because to do so would mean accepting that humans are animals).

The difference here however is that climate denialism does not seem to be relegated to the theistic community and is instead also very similar to the anti-vaccination movement. Ultimately, however, there does seem to be a political trend in climate denialism such that the right denies more often than the left.

So, let's start off with a general poll question and see if we have anyone interested in a climate change conversation.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Climate denialism
I think the opposition to evolution is mostly religiously motivated, and comes from people who believe (or want to believe) that the Bible is literal history.

Climate change denial, on the other hand, is primarily political/economic, and ultimately comes from those who have an economic stake in maintaining the status quo (e.g., gas and oil companies).
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-08-2014, 03:39 PM
(08-08-2014 03:37 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I think the opposition to evolution is mostly religiously motivated, and comes from people who believe (or want to believe) that the Bible is literal history.

Climate change denial, on the other hand, is primarily political/economic, and ultimately comes from those who have an economic stake in maintaining the status quo (e.g., gas and oil companies).

That is mostly true, but I know some people who are not invested in the status quo who still deny the anthroprogenic influence.

-Rick
08-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Re: Climate denialism
Media influence.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some idiotic "catchy" shorter term for them created... Like heaters

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-08-2014, 03:44 PM
(08-08-2014 03:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Media influence.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some idiotic "catchy" shorter term for them created... Like heaters

For which group?

-Rick
08-08-2014, 03:54 PM
(08-08-2014 03:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ... see if we have anyone interested in a climate change conversation.

We had one of those once. It wasn't pretty.

But nah, s'totally a big conspiracy. Her Reptilian Majesty the Queen told me so herself.

... this is my signature!
08-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Any thread with I and I is bound to be rocky

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
I used to be one of those people who believed climate change was real, but wasn't the cause of humans. It was due to my lack of understanding of how scientists were able to know what earth's climate was like before the time of man. I thought it might be just the natural warming/cooling the earth experiences.

It was after reading some really good articles in skeptics magazine, seeing how people whose opinions on scientific matters I held in high regard felt about it, that I changed my mind.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
08-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I was talking to someone about potential ways to slow or reverse the global warming, and they were all, "We shouldn't do anything. Climate change is natural, people aren't causing it."

"So IF thats true, were still heading into a shitstorm. Why shouldn't we at least try to reduce or reverse the impact?"

That's when they went full retard, "Its Gods will"
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
08-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Re: RE: Climate denialism
(08-08-2014 04:06 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was talking to someone about potential ways to slow or reverse the global warming, and they were all, "We shouldn't do anything. Climate change is natural, people aren't causing it."

"So IF thats true, were still heading into a shitstorm. Why shouldn't we at least try to reduce or reverse the impact?"

That's when they went full retard, "Its Gods will"
That's how that tends to go...

-Rick