Poll: Is climate change real?
Yes but human contribution is negligible
Yes and humans are part of it in a significant way
No. It's a conspiracy
No. God told me
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate denialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 02:39 PM
RE: Climate denialism
Global warming is as real as your GF's orgasms.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
(10-08-2014 02:39 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Global warming is as real as your GF's orgasms.

[Image: 4447266.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-08-2014, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 02:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2014 02:39 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Global warming is as real as your GF's orgasms.

Remind me where you received your training in meteorology and climatology again.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Hmmm I wouldn't say global warming is glorious and amazing, but I'll agree it could be earth shattering Drinking Beverage

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 8 users Like Smercury44's post
10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
(10-08-2014 02:55 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  

Hmmm I wouldn't say global warming is glorious and amazing, but I'll agree it could be earth shattering Drinking Beverage

I was gonna try and make a joke about having once dated a woman named Venus, but your response is better.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
(10-08-2014 06:30 AM)avalon Wrote:  Evolution is about what happened in the past. Climate change is predictions of what will happen in the future.

Wrong on both counts.
Climate change models are predicated on past behavior.
Evolutionary theory makes predictions about things we don't yet know.
Quote:There doesn't seem to be much difference between these predictions and religious prophesy. For example, it used to be called "global warming" until the warming stopped. Rather than admit the prediction was wrong they simply change the name to "climate change". Now, like a religious fanatic looking for signs of the end times, every natural disaster is a sign of doom.
I wish we could get some really objective evidence devoid of politics and self-interest.

There is a world of difference. It's called evidence.

Quote:What is "in our own best interests" is subjective. I assume you're talking about the long-term interest of the human race as a whole. But there is also concern for the short-term interest of us living today. The two are often in conflict. The industrial revolution may have been bad for the long-term survival of the human race but it also was good for many generations of humans because it improved our standard of living and expanded our life expectancy. So who decides what is a fair balance? Eliminate coal power plants and it's good for mankind in the long term, but it makes electricity much more expensive and creates hardship for low-income people now. We need to stop pretending there's no short-term cost to our long-term self interest.

You utterly miss the the difference between short-term inconvenience and long-term disaster.

Quote:There is an emotional component to this question which is often overlooked. I'll sometimes ask people, "If you had a choice between a short happy life or a long miserable one, which would you choose?". Nearly everyone says "short happy life". And I think the same is true of the debate over climate change. It's not that people deny it, it's that they think a short happy existence trumps a long miserable one. If we could switch to renewable energy sources without paying more, if they were just as convenient as fossil fuel, and we were just as happy as before; then the decision would be easy. When the solutions to our energy problems benefit the rich and hurt the poor we shouldn't be surprised when they reject them.

Yes, people deny it. People like you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-08-2014, 01:03 AM
(10-08-2014 06:30 AM)avalon Wrote:  For example, it used to be called "global warming" until the warming stopped. Rather than admit the prediction was wrong they simply change the name to "climate change". Now, like a religious fanatic looking for signs of the end times, every natural disaster is a sign of doom.
I wish we could get some really objective evidence devoid of politics and self-interest.

Yeah... The warming didn't stop. http://www.utexas.edu/know/2010/11/08/climate_myth1/

No, they didn't simply change the name to "climate change".
Climate change is a general term for changes in climate. Global warming is one of these changes, but not the only one. It can however accelerate, course or in other ways affect other changes in climate, which is why we use the general term "climate change" since warming is not the only change we are experiencing - as the recent polar vortex in North America is a pretty good example of.
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
11-08-2014, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 05:56 AM by avalon.)
Let me make clear that I'm not denying anything. What I'm asking is, "Is the cost worth it?".
I also have doubts about the governments ability to address the actual problem. For example, I think electric cars would be a great idea. But electric cars now have serious disadvantages over gas vehicles:
1. you can fill a gas tank in a few minutes vs hours to charge a battery
2. short driving range of electric cars
3. high cost of battery replacement

The governments answer seems to be to bribe people into buying an inferior product with rebates. Yet, there are good working models of electric vehicles elsewhere in the world. We need to stop thinking of batteries as a permanent part of the vehicle. To make electric cars advantageous we need to do the following:
1. set a standard for batteries. They should be interchangeable for all vehicles, bolted to the underside of the car and locked from inside to prevent theft. Easy to swap out.
2. we need lots of swapping stations. A government-private partnership to get these built.

With these changes in place a driver with a low battery would pull into a swapping station which looks a lot like a Jiffy Lube. The battery tech in the pit raises a jack to support the battery, driver unlocks it inside while tech unbolts it. Old battery is checked for charge, let's say it has 10%. Old battery is slid onto conveyor and goes to the charging room. A different, fully charged battery, comes out of charging room and is lifted and bolted into place, driver locks it in. The whole process takes minutes. Driver pays for the difference in charge (100% - 10% turned in = 90% charge fee) and the swap station buys new batteries when old ones wear out and get recycled. Drivers pay a small fee to cover battery replacement and labor.
With lots of batteries charging outside the vehicles in a charge room there is no disadvantage to the slow charge time. With lots of battery swap stations there is no disadvantage to lower drive ranges. By paying for replacement batteries a little at a time (small fee with each swap) there is no disadvantage to replacing worn out batteries. The electric vehicle ends up with an advantage because it can still be charged at home or work, unlike a gas vehicle.
These types of things actually address the problems of electric vehicles and would make them desirable. It also creates an entire green industry without asking consumers to settle for an inferior product. So why doesn't the government do that?
[+] 1 user Likes avalon's post
11-08-2014, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 06:24 AM by Hafnof.)
[Image: 5StagesofClimateDenial.png]

You're at stage 3, then.

The cost of action is negligible compared to the cost of inaction. The primary change required is to put a price on greenhouse gas emissions consistent with the environmental impact of those emissions.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
11-08-2014, 06:33 AM
About 20 years ago, my sister (zoologist) was commiserating about human induced global warming. I reminded her that climate was a geological process and a mammalian species living on the surface of the planet was not a variable in that process or any other geological process for that matter. I also reminded her that both of our grandfathers were geologists, one Precambrian.

She immediately changed the discussion to pollution.