Poll: Is climate change real?
Yes but human contribution is negligible
Yes and humans are part of it in a significant way
No. It's a conspiracy
No. God told me
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate denialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 06:55 AM
RE: Climate denialism
(11-08-2014 06:33 AM)Walter Wrote:  About 20 years ago, my sister (zoologist) was commiserating about human induced global warming. I reminded her that climate was a geological process and a mammalian species living on the surface of the planet was not a variable in that process or any other geological process for that matter. I also reminded her that both of our grandfathers were geologists, one Precambrian.

She immediately changed the discussion to pollution.

I don't think 'commiserating' is the word you want. Consider

And climate is not a geological process.
"Geological processes are dynamic processes at work in the earth's landforms and surfaces. The mechanisms involved, weathering, erosion, and plate tectonics, combine processes that are in some respects destructive and in others constructive."

The earth's atmosphere is a thin film on the surface, a very finite volume. The tons of substances we inject into it have had a measurable effect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-08-2014, 08:33 AM
(11-08-2014 06:33 AM)Walter Wrote:  About 20 years ago, my sister (zoologist) was commiserating about human induced global warming. I reminded her that climate was a geological process and a mammalian species living on the surface of the planet was not a variable in that process or any other geological process for that matter. I also reminded her that both of our grandfathers were geologists, one Precambrian.

She immediately changed the discussion to pollution.

Wait, what?

I can't even tell which bad argument that's supposed to be.

"Climate changes for other reasons as well, therefore it can't be humans?"

"Climate has changed before, therefore this change won't affect us?"

Protip: human contributions are not insignificant.
[Image: Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide_Apr2013.svg]

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
11-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Climate is not a geological process? Is that how we got to extreme weather from global warming and climate change?

And all this time I was thinking about ice ages and interglacial periods during a short, 2.5 million year stretch of Earth’s history (Pleistocene, human evolution), ending about 10,000 years ago when someone decided to plant crops.
11-08-2014, 11:20 AM
@Chas
Quote:You utterly miss the the difference between short-term inconvenience and long-term disaster.
While I freely concede that you're perfectly qualified to determine what financial burdens count as a "short-term inconvenience" for yourself, I'd need evidence to show you're qualified and have a right to make that decision for everyone. Likewise, I would not support any authoritarian type government that claims the same. That does not mean I'm anti-government. If you read my post about the electric car industry that should be clear. I just prefer a government that works with carrots rather than sticks.
11-08-2014, 11:27 AM
(11-08-2014 10:17 AM)Walter Wrote:  Climate is not a geological process? Is that how we got to extreme weather from global warming and climate change?

And all this time I was thinking about ice ages and interglacial periods during a short, 2.5 million year stretch of Earth’s history (Pleistocene, human evolution), ending about 10,000 years ago when someone decided to plant crops.

Yes. And? So what?

Anthropogenic contributions are independent of other long-term processes.

11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
If you can Rolleyes at the slightly doomish vibe to this vid, it show good footage of recent extreme weather around the world.

If it was a democratic vote I would abstain as I have realised that the deeper I look into the science behind climate change the less I know. What I do have an opinion on though is why governments dont make it compulsory for every new construction to have solar panels either incorporated into the build or added. I understand that some countries may fair better than others... weather conditions etc... however its the sun, it's there everyday and its free.

There is huge money to be made which contributes to "capitalism/world economies" through fossil fuels. I think any transition to free/renewable's will be a very long one, even if you had the full backing of the scientific community on every single issue Sad

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
12-08-2014, 07:53 AM
During one winter in the mid 1970s, a few of us drove to Sandy Point State Park to see first hand the frozen Chesapeake Bay. It was an amazing sight. I thought it might be a once in a lifetime experience.

At no time did climate, weather or the salinity of water come up for discussion.

Now, 40 years later, many people would be whining about it.
12-08-2014, 08:49 AM
(12-08-2014 07:53 AM)Walter Wrote:  During one winter in the mid 1970s, a few of us drove to Sandy Point State Park to see first hand the frozen Chesapeake Bay. It was an amazing sight. I thought it might be a once in a lifetime experience.

At no time did climate, weather or the salinity of water come up for discussion.

Now, 40 years later, many people would be whining about it.

So never mind the overwhelming scientific consensus, because some people talk about an issue now when they were ignorant of it 40 years ago it is untrue. Facepalm

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Meanwhile...

"I told you so" is going to be real cold comfort a couple decades from now.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
(12-08-2014 10:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Meanwhile...

"I told you so" is going to be real cold comfort a couple decades from now.

Scientists: Don't Panic about Ebola

Public: HoboHoboHobo Panic!!!!!!!

Scientists: Panic about Climate Change

Public: Cool Burn some more coal rofl

[Image: 89BA96CED2D4B9F891AFDBFDD1C735.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post