Poll: Is climate change real?
Yes but human contribution is negligible
Yes and humans are part of it in a significant way
No. It's a conspiracy
No. God told me
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate denialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 07:25 PM by Chas.)
RE: Climate denialism
(12-08-2014 10:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Meanwhile...

"I told you so" is going to be real cold comfort a couple decades from now.

I don't expect to last two more decades.

I am quite confidant that I will be saying "I told you so" before I go. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 05:28 PM
(12-08-2014 11:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 10:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Meanwhile...

"I told you so" is going to be real cold comfort a couple decades from now.

Scientists: Don't Panic about Ebola

Public: HoboHoboHobo Panic!!!!!!!

Scientists: Panic about Climate Change

Public: Cool Burn some more coal rofl

[Image: 89BA96CED2D4B9F891AFDBFDD1C735.jpg]

I approve zis use of hobo Sleepy Tongue

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
13-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Carbon dioxide: 3ppt (parts per 10,000) to 4ppt, with the human species accounting for 0.05 to 0.30 of that 1ppt increase.

Let us pray. Or not.

100 years ago, Friday was “cleaning kerosene lamps” day for Grandma. Saturday was bath day. I suppose there were advantages to the natural burning of kerosene and wood compared to today’s unnatural burning of petroleum and coal. Or was it always unnatural? I never asked Grandma if urine from the chamber pots and feces from the outhouse were used for fertilizer or some other purpose. She was very proper and would have been embarrassed by the question.

Recently, I learned that sitting in front of my 13 year old plastic computer with DSL, sipping on a cup of clear liquid from a water treatment facility, lighted by an array of fluorescent tubes, kept cool by an A/C system, trying to figure out my first cell phone (ATT gophone with caller ID!!) which I purchased yesterday, all this after 15 minutes of burning gasoline in a 2004 Honda CRV monstrosity, has put our civilization in peril (see 1st episode of Cosmos).

One of these days, I will learn to view modern humans in a more serious, scientific way. You know, like that television physicist.
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
13-08-2014, 10:42 AM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Walter Wrote:  Carbon dioxide: 3ppt (parts per 10,000) to 4ppt, with the human species accounting for 0.05 to 0.30 of that 1ppt increase.

Let us pray. Or not.

100 years ago, Friday was “cleaning kerosene lamps” day for Grandma. Saturday was bath day. I suppose there were advantages to the natural burning of kerosene and wood compared to today’s unnatural burning of petroleum and coal. Or was it always unnatural? I never asked Grandma if urine from the chamber pots and feces from the outhouse were used for fertilizer or some other purpose. She was very proper and would have been embarrassed by the question.

Recently, I learned that sitting in front of my 13 year old plastic computer with DSL, sipping on a cup of clear liquid from a water treatment facility, lighted by an array of fluorescent tubes, kept cool by an A/C system, trying to figure out my first cell phone (ATT gophone with caller ID!!) which I purchased yesterday, all this after 15 minutes of burning gasoline in a 2004 Honda CRV monstrosity, has put our civilization in peril (see 1st episode of Cosmos).

One of these days, I will learn to view modern humans in a more serious, scientific way. You know, like that television physicist.

wut

This is such a non sequitur it's not even wrong.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
13-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Ignoring the effects of the global carbon cycle on climates, would be the equivalent of ignoring the role albedo on earth's climate.

Humans are a part of the global carbon cycle and we are taking previously sequestered carbon and pumping it back in the system. Not only does this change the proportion of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, it also reduces pH in the oceans. It facilitates the change in ice volume (which alters albedo), helps destabilize permafrost (releasing methan and more co2), alters sea level, etc.

The result is a runaway feedback loop of biologically enhanced geologic processes.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-08-2014, 11:21 PM
Was just listening to a youtube on this earlier today

LOOK A THING ABOUT THIS THING

[Image: AJqsKtG.jpg]
16-08-2014, 09:21 AM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Walter Wrote:  One of these days, I will learn to view modern humans in a more serious, scientific way. You know, like that television physicist.

You did not just take a swipe at Degrasse Tyson.

[Image: tyson.jpg]

Okay, let's get to the willy wagging.

BA: Physics - Harvard
MA: Astronomy - University of Texas Austin
MPhil: Astrophysics - Columbia
PhD: Astrophysics - Columbia

Now unless you got a PhD in Physics your opinion don't mean dick.

[Image: tyson2.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-08-2014, 01:50 PM
What happened to our climate denier Walter?

-Rick
19-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Maybe he (walter) went by way of the dinosaurs?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-08-2014, 02:05 PM
(19-08-2014 02:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Maybe he (walter) went by way of the dinosaurs?

I'll begin looking for an impact crater

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post