Poll: Is climate change real?
Yes but human contribution is negligible
Yes and humans are part of it in a significant way
No. It's a conspiracy
No. God told me
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Climate denialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: Climate denialism
We are only on 93.75%, come on people, scientist are in the 97%ile Tongue

Yes, it is definitely happening and it is us. How do I know? I look at things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 10:18 AM
As a skeptic, the use of the word “denial” is all the proof I need to conclude that the climate debate has nothing to do with science. It is interesting that the word is used by so many who describe themselves as rational, logical, free thinking, objective and scientific.

A theist could say that I deny the existence of God. However, I do no such thing. I am simply skeptical of the existence of a supernatural world. That skepticism is not altered by the writings of Jews, Christians, and psychic mediums. In a similar way, I am skeptical of the supernatural powers currently bestowed on the human species to alter Earth’s climate.

The degrees earned by someone who participates in government sponsored scaremongering, be it about saccharine, animal fat or carbon dioxide, are not relevant.

I have a B.S. degree in chemistry with customers throughout the United States and several foreign countries (UK, Netherlands, Turkey, France, South Korea, Italy to name a few). Some of you might work for one of my customers if you are employed by Johnson & Johnson, Dow, Merck, Bristol Myers, and Pfizer. Many of my customers are much smaller. And most of my new customers over 20 years in business as an analytical testing lab have come from word of mouth.

Democracy, with its resultant politics, has brought us to a situation where I am described as anti-science and the fear mongers as good, objective, unbiased scientists. I hesitate to use a Christian word I am not very fond of, but forgive me for being just a little skeptical.
20-08-2014, 10:25 AM
(20-08-2014 10:18 AM)Walter Wrote:  As a skeptic, the use of the word “denial” is all the proof I need to conclude that the climate debate has nothing to do with science. It is interesting that the word is used by so many who describe themselves as rational, logical, free thinking, objective and scientific.

A theist could say that I deny the existence of God. However, I do no such thing. I am simply skeptical of the existence of a supernatural world. That skepticism is not altered by the writings of Jews, Christians, and psychic mediums. In a similar way, I am skeptical of the supernatural powers currently bestowed on the human species to alter Earth’s climate.

The degrees earned by someone who participates in government sponsored scaremongering, be it about saccharine, animal fat or carbon dioxide, are not relevant.

I have a B.S. degree in chemistry with customers throughout the United States and several foreign countries (UK, Netherlands, Turkey, France, South Korea, Italy to name a few). Some of you might work for one of my customers if you are employed by Johnson & Johnson, Dow, Merck, Bristol Myers, and Pfizer. Many of my customers are much smaller. And most of my new customers over 20 years in business as an analytical testing lab have come from word of mouth.

Democracy, with its resultant politics, has brought us to a situation where I am described as anti-science and the fear mongers as good, objective, unbiased scientists. I hesitate to use a Christian word I am not very fond of, but forgive me for being just a little skeptical.

A true skeptic changes his mind when presented with new information. You are choosing to be contrarian not a skeptic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-08-2014, 10:44 AM
(20-08-2014 10:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:18 AM)Walter Wrote:  As a skeptic, the use of the word “denial” is all the proof I need to conclude that the climate debate has nothing to do with science. It is interesting that the word is used by so many who describe themselves as rational, logical, free thinking, objective and scientific.

A true skeptic changes his mind when presented with new information. You are choosing to be contrarian not a skeptic.

Yes, but if he agreed with the vast majority of qualified experts on the matter, there'd be no one left to feel superior to.

Although it's kind of adorable how he describes genuine science as "supernatural powers" advocated by "government sponsored scaremongering".
(protip: the reason little has been done to respond to climate change is because most governments do not endorse the science)

Someone with a degree in chemistry would - one might have hoped - actually understand what a greenhouse effect is.
(unless it's one of those government sponsored scaremongering degrees?)

... this is my signature!
[+] 7 users Like cjlr's post
20-08-2014, 11:11 AM
(20-08-2014 10:44 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  A true skeptic changes his mind when presented with new information. You are choosing to be contrarian not a skeptic.

Yes, but if he agreed with the vast majority of qualified experts on the matter, there'd be no one left to feel superior to.

Although it's kind of adorable how he describes genuine science as "supernatural powers" advocated by "government sponsored scaremongering".
(protip: the reason little has been done to respond to climate change is because most governments do not endorse the science)

Someone with a degree in chemistry would - one might have hoped - actually understand what a greenhouse effect is.
(unless it's one of those government sponsored scaremongering degrees?)

Is he denying the evidence? Or the conclusions? Or the human involvement?

Inquiring minds want to know. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Could you please respond to my post about the global carbon cycle?

Why should I care 1) about your chemistry degree (since climate change is not an issue considered in any depth in a chemistry curriculum) or 2) the number of customers you have let alone where they are or if I am inadvertently one of them?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-08-2014, 11:54 AM
(20-08-2014 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why should I care 1) about your chemistry degree (since climate change is not an issue considered in any depth in a chemistry curriculum) or 2) the number of customers you have let alone where they are or if I am inadvertently one of them?
Yeah I was about to respond with something similar to this, but glad you did instead. Half of his post seemed completely irrelevant to anything aside from maybe trying to establish a dominant position in...I don't even know what.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
20-08-2014, 11:55 AM
(20-08-2014 11:54 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why should I care 1) about your chemistry degree (since climate change is not an issue considered in any depth in a chemistry curriculum) or 2) the number of customers you have let alone where they are or if I am inadvertently one of them?
Yeah I was about to respond with something similar to this, but glad you did instead. Half of his post seemed completely irrelevant to anything aside from maybe trying to establish a dominant position in...I don't even know what.

It seems like some sort of appeal to authority as if having a BS in chem and being a salesman qualifies one as an expert on anything other than sales and basic chemistry.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Without reading the entire thread I am of the mind that climate change is real and human activities contribute in some way. How much I do not know. Regardless of how much our impact to climate change is we can do things to leave this place as clean as we can for the next batch of humans. Most people are to short sighted to see past tomorrow and how actions of today leave an impact for years to come.
20-08-2014, 01:25 PM
(20-08-2014 10:18 AM)Walter Wrote:  A theist could say that I deny the existence of God. However, I do no such thing. I am simply skeptical of the existence of a supernatural world. That skepticism is not altered by the writings of Jews, Christians, and psychic mediums. In a similar way, I am skeptical of the supernatural powers currently bestowed on the human species to alter Earth’s climate.

Except for the fact that unlike god, there's a staggering amount of evidence to support the fact that these powers are not supernatural but real.

Tell me, do you deny that a massive thermonuclear exchange would produce a nuclear winter? If so, then you've accepted mankind can change the climate so we can stop using childish words like "supernatural" to describe man made global warming.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 2 users Like Elder Cunningham's post