Clinton Used Prison Labor, aka modern slave labor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 09:32 AM
RE: Clinton Used Prison Labor, aka modern slave labor
(11-06-2017 09:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:18 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Like it or not, that's what they do there.

Remember, the Governor's Mansion does not belong to the governor at the time; it belongs to the state, and if the state wants prisoners to do labour on the grounds, then that's what happens.

It's slave labor.

No more like indentured slavery. I have no problem with prisoners being put to work as a choice to keep them busy and out of trouble. I would still have a problem with forced labor regardless.

I don't think prisons currently nor have for decades been providers but under both parties have simply become a way for government to exploit the poor. I think we do need to move away from revenge punishment and have prisons provide work skill training and conflict resolution classes.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2017, 09:33 AM
(11-06-2017 09:32 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:29 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It's often voluntary, and a very small percentage of inmates are able to apply for the jobs as they have to have a perfect record during their incarceration.

In the articles on SC it clearly states the programs are voluntary. We aren't talking chain gangs here.

How often is it voluntary, though? Going to need a source for that.

I provided two links.

Quote:But Bryan Stirling, South Carolina’s director of prisons, argues the programs are positive for inmates and communities.

Prison work programs, he said, are voluntary. They benefit inmates, he said, by training them in a marketable skill; benefit communities because those in work programs can be hired upon release; and benefit the prison system because it improves safety.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/st...rylink=cpy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2017, 09:35 AM
(11-06-2017 09:24 AM)Anjele Wrote:  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ne.../71714762/

They better look at more states and more politicians if this is going to fly.

The linked article won't let me copy/paste but it's basically talking about prison labor in South Carolina. The gripe appears to be that the prison population is 62% black and therefore is slavery. Later in the article it's stated that the program is voluntary and the inmates learn skills while working.

I seem to recall that there were workers from the prison at the governor's mansion and I saw them around the capital building too.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/st...97463.html

Quote:Bryan Stirling, South Carolina’s director of prisons

The director of prisons says the work is voluntary. Am I going to trust that necessarily?

11-06-2017, 09:37 AM
(11-06-2017 09:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:24 AM)Anjele Wrote:  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ne.../71714762/

They better look at more states and more politicians if this is going to fly.

The linked article won't let me copy/paste but it's basically talking about prison labor in South Carolina. The gripe appears to be that the prison population is 62% black and therefore is slavery. Later in the article it's stated that the program is voluntary and the inmates learn skills while working.

I seem to recall that there were workers from the prison at the governor's mansion and I saw them around the capital building too.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/st...97463.html

Quote:Bryan Stirling, South Carolina’s director of prisons

The director of prisons says the work is voluntary. Am I going to trust that necessarily?

My grandson's father was in prison a couple of years ago. He worked...his choice. It allowed him to send money toward support of his son and also to save a little bit for when he got released.

You can believe what you want...who do you need to hear it from? God? The Governor?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-06-2017, 09:39 AM
This isn't a big deal. They all should be forced to work. Help pay for their incarceration costs.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
11-06-2017, 09:40 AM
When I worked for Corrections Canada, all work-related programs were strictly voluntary; in fact, work programs were sought after by the inmates. The best success we had in reducing recidivism was to get the inmate an education and a trade.

But something tells me that you're not really interested, GN, in whether an inmate is used for labour. You seem to be interested in shitting on Hillary, based on twenty-year-old information. Why is that?

*edited for clarity & grammar*
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
11-06-2017, 09:40 AM
@GenesisNemesis

It's probably not hard to find volunteers to work outside of prison. Prison is a terribly boring place. Having a job, even an unpaid one, is a good distraction and gets you to see the outside world. Plus, as mentionned before, this is clearly considered a privilege by the carceral system as only prisoners with a spotless record of detention can do so.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
(11-06-2017 09:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  The director of prisons says the work is voluntary. Am I going to trust that necessarily?

My grandson's father was in prison a couple of years ago. He worked...his choice. It allowed him to send money toward support of his son and also to save a little bit for when he got released.

You can believe what you want...who do you need to hear it from? God? The Governor?

Well, I'm not really too optimistic about the morality of prison directors.

11-06-2017, 09:44 AM
(11-06-2017 09:41 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My grandson's father was in prison a couple of years ago. He worked...his choice. It allowed him to send money toward support of his son and also to save a little bit for when he got released.

Well, I'm not really too optimistic about the morality of prison directors.

Really?

How do you feel about correction officers? Do you find it an immoral job to guard prisoners?

11-06-2017, 09:44 AM
(11-06-2017 09:41 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Well, I'm not really too optimistic about the morality of prison directors.

And we're not too optimistic about your true intentions here.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post